The First Crack in the Iceberg Of Global Warming...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple explains the complex

Basic science is a collection of data through research and observation that is used to prove or disprove fact. It was believed to be fact that the component of air responsible for oxidation was phlogiston and this fact worked to a limited extent in the 17th century. After the discovery of oxygen as the oxidizing agent, many prominent scientists remained unconvinced and clung to the phlogiston theory. Within my field, geology, we still had holdouts advocating geosyncline theory after overwhelming evidence confirming plate tectonics and continental drift was presented, tested, and re-tested. Does anyone in the forum disagree with plate tectonics and continental drift because they do not understand Fourier transforms in mathematics (a frequency tool used in processing seismic data)? Because we do not fully understand the tools and hypotheses (scientifically speaking) used to determine and understand GW does that mean it is invalid? Most of us shoot but do we need to understand the mathematics of ballistics, metallurgy of our firearms, or the chemistry of propellants to practice our hobby and sport?

The study of light absolute has changed our conceptions and perceptions of wave and particle behavior because light behaves as both - a stunning revelation at the time of discovery. Light can be and has been: accelerated through certain solids and slowed down to a relativistic crawl and bent by gravity. When we gauge absolute we engage in binary thinking exemplified by + and -, true or false, right or wrong, is or is not, 0 or 1. Absolutes exist, 1+1 = 2 always. Fuzzy logic (0.85 true and 0.15 false) is an offshoot of absolute thinking used where absolute do not apply such as with the behavior of light. Currently the "jury is out" in the sense that the nature of light is under investigation and new findings will certainly follow. No physicist will admit to an absolute when practicing radiometric age dating. You can apply fuzzy logic to radiometric age dating stating that a certain age has a +/- factor depending on the isotopes and daughter products measured. What is absolute is the fact that radioactive isotopes do indeed decay at known specific rates.

My apologies for a kind of disjointed reply.

From the WA provided link.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science...n-fields_x.htm

The Poincare conjecture is key to the field of topology, which studies shapes. It basically says that in three dimensions you cannot transform a doughnut shape into a sphere without ripping it, although any shape without a hole can be stretched or shrunk into a sphere.

I intend to study this in depth..... off to Krispy Kreme.

They'll call me Jeaneeus!

The study of light absolute has changed our conceptions and perceptions of wave and particle behavior because light behaves as both - a stunning revelation at the time of discovery. Light can be and has been: accelerated through certain solids and slowed down to a relativistic crawl and bent by gravity. When we gauge absolute we engage in binary thinking exemplified by + and -, true or false, right or wrong, is or is not, 0 or 1. Absolutes exist, 1+1 = 2 always. Fuzzy logic (0.85 true and 0.15 false) is an offshoot of absolute thinking used where absolute do not apply such as with the behavior of light. Currently the "jury is out" in the sense that the nature of light is under investigation and new findings will certainly follow. No physicist will admit to an absolute when practicing radiometric age dating. You can apply fuzzy logic to radiometric age dating stating that a certain age has a +/- factor depending on the isotopes and daughter products measured. What is absolute is the fact that radioactive isotopes do indeed decay at known specific rates.

I intend to study this in depth..... off to Krispy Kreme.

Only on a Gun Board :)

WildfreudianpickleAlaska ™

If we are to determine that the nature of light is not absolute

Not so much light, but time.

The nature of the Earth was different when the huge amounts of carbon stored in fossil fuel were in the atmosphere. That enviornment is what allowed the abundance of plant life that stored these fossil fuels.

Simple logic would lead the average thinker to at least entertain the possibility that if we put all that back in the atmosphere we might create the conditions that allowed it's formation to begin with.

The study of light absolute has changed our conceptions and perceptions of wave and particle behavior because light behaves as both - a stunning revelation at the time of discovery. Light can be and has been: accelerated through certain solids and slowed down to a relativistic crawl and bent by gravity.

The idea that light can be bent has underwent some changes and I believe current prevailing theory is that it cannot be. When observed locally its travel always describes a straight line, but the space through which it travels may be distorted by massive objects, thus appearing to bend the light.

But this is merely theory applied to a very fundamental physical phenomena. The theory that humans are causing global warming is the same; just a theory. Given the plethora of phenomena involved, sound evidence of past warming/cooling cycles would suggest man plays an insignificant role.

Now, back to the Krispy Kremes. I have real science to do!

Hey all you man-made global warming conspiracy theorists; if global warming is truly caused by man, why not strike at the heart of the problem? That being, the planet may not be able to support a reasonable and sustained standard of living for 6.5 billion people. Seems logical that cutting back to a few hundred million might be the ticket.

Volunteers?

volunteer no nominations yes

I can give you a list of those I'd nominate for the honor of dieing to save the planet from overpopulation. :eek:

Hey all you man-made global warming conspiracy theorists; if global warming is truly caused by man, why not strike at the heart of the problem? That being, the planet may not be able to support a reasonable and sustained standard of living for 6.5 billion people. Seems logical that cutting back to a few hundred million might be the ticket.

Volunteers?

I'm not a proponent of the theory, but I'll volunteer my efforts of not reproducing. How's that for looking out for the future?;)

Higher math.

Once upon a time in a land far away there lived a mathematician, a physicist and an engineer (who all happened to be eighth grade substitute teachers during the 2009 flu season when all the regular teachers called in sick). They decided to do an experiment one cold and rainy day. (Making this gun related the mathematician was also a bench rest shooter, the physicist was a skeet shooter and the engineer was a cowboy action shooter.)

They lined up all the eighth grade boys on one side of the 60 foot wide gym and all the girls on the other side. The mathematician watched the clock, the physicist blew the whistle and the engineer measured. They asked the kids to walk forward so as to half the distance between the two groups every time the whistle blew. So at T=1 the distance between the boys and girls was 30 feet, at T=2 the distance was 15 feet and so forth. For the sake of discussion we will say that T is loosely defined as one second but we'll fudge a bit for the first couple of T.

Before they started the experiment they placed their bets, which just happened to be that the loser had to buy Krispy Kreme donuts (to keep this on topic) for all the kids and the winner got free coffee and his (to keep it gun related) range fees paid for next Saturday. The mathematician bet that the kids would continue advancing forever but the two groups would never meet. The physicist estimated the time to be somewhere on the order of T = 1.8547 x 10^ 13 seconds. The engineer said that for all practical purposes it would take about six seconds.

Guess who won? :D

BTW, you can make the donut hole go away by increasing the porosity of the dough until its 'granularity' is greater than the hole size. It creates a singularity but the hole disappears. ;)

BTW, you can make the donut hole go away by increasing the porosity of the dough until its 'granularity' is greater than the hole size. It creates a singularity but the hole disappears.
According to professor Gerhart Springinkle III the hole does not disappear but in fact manifests itself in at least two distinct locations within it's space/time boundaries, causing bloat. This is known as the Hole Grain Theorm.

That being, the planet may not be able to support a reasonable and sustained standard of living for 6.5 billion people. Seems logical that cutting back to a few hundred million might be the ticket.

You are not the only one with that idea:

"Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature."

A message from the Georgia Guidestones.

grymster2007

Volunteers?

Perhaps some on the "We-have-too-many-people side of this equation" will be happy to note there are processes are in place to cover that base.
With a little I-net research I determined there are in the neighborhood of 40M "that which cannot be spoken of here" procedures worldwide per year.
One source indicated "that which" procedures since 1920 added up to north of 950M worldwide.

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/abortion/wrjp337sd.html

Still, even at these numbers, many will think it not enough and work for a different and more efficient "solution".

Black day when they and those that write their manifesto on rocks in Georgia get their way.

Best

S-

Some of the really extreme enviro groups have calculated the optimum population of earth is 300 million. No word yet on what they want to do with the remaining 5 billion 700 million useless eaters.

As long as we're talking about "that which", I might as well bring back the less-off-topic-topic of nuclear power.

These same radical environmentalists have been instrumental in blocking nuclear powered spacecraft development, thus assuring that rather than being allowed to leave the earth to build sustainable space colonies the billions of "extra people" will be merely eliminated at some point. OTOH if we'd been allowed to maintain real development of reactor rockets and Orion in the 60's and 70's we'd already have colonies on the moon, Mars and Ceres as well as manned missions to the outer planets.

This would have actually been helpful to Al Gore as then he'd be able to blame the Martian ice cap melting on humans.:o

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23411799-7583,00.html

Last Monday - on ABC Radio National, of all places - there was a tipping point of a different kind in the debate on climate change. It was a remarkable interview involving the co-host of Counterpoint, Michael Duffy and Jennifer Marohasy, a biologist and senior fellow of Melbourne-based think tank the Institute of Public Affairs. Anyone in public life who takes a position on the greenhouse gas hypothesis will ignore it at their peril.
Duffy asked Marohasy: "Is the Earth stillwarming?"

She replied: "No, actually, there has been cooling, if you take 1998 as your point of reference. If you take 2002 as your point of reference, then temperatures have plateaued. This is certainly not what you'd expect if carbon dioxide is driving temperature because carbon dioxide levels have been increasing but temperatures have actually been coming down over the last 10 years."

Duffy: "Is this a matter of any controversy?"

Marohasy: "Actually, no. The head of the IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) has actually acknowledged it. He talks about the apparent plateau in temperatures so far this century. So he recognises that in this century, over the past eight years, temperatures have plateaued ... This is not what you'd expect, as I said, because if carbon dioxide is driving temperature then you'd expect that, given carbon dioxide levels have been continuing to increase, temperatures should be going up ... So (it's) very unexpected, not something that's being discussed. It should be being discussed, though, because it's very significant."

Duffy: "It's not only that it's not discussed. We never hear it, do we? Whenever there's any sort of weather event that can be linked into the global warming orthodoxy, it's put on the front page. But a fact like that, which is that global warming stopped a decade ago, is virtually never reported, which is extraordinary."

Duffy then turned to the question of how the proponents of the greenhouse gas hypothesis deal with data that doesn't support their case. "People like Kevin Rudd and Ross Garnaut are speaking as though the Earth is still warming at an alarming rate, but what is the argument from the other side? What would people associated with the IPCC say to explain the (temperature) dip?"

Marohasy: "Well, the head of the IPCC has suggested natural factors are compensating for the increasing carbon dioxide levels and I guess, to some extent, that's what sceptics have been saying for some time: that, yes, carbon dioxide will give you some warming but there are a whole lot of other factors that may compensate or that may augment the warming from elevated levels of carbon dioxide.

"There's been a lot of talk about the impact of the sun and that maybe we're going to go through or are entering a period of less intense solar activity and this could be contributing to the current cooling."

Duffy: "Can you tell us about NASA's Aqua satellite, because I understand some of the data we're now getting is quite important in our understanding of how climate works?"

Marohasy: "That's right. The satellite was only launched in 2002 and it enabled the collection of data, not just on temperature but also on cloud formation and water vapour. What all the climate models suggest is that, when you've got warming from additional carbon dioxide, this will result in increased water vapour, so you're going to get a positive feedback. That's what the models have been indicating. What this great data from the NASA Aqua satellite ... (is) actually showing is just the opposite, that with a little bit of warming, weather processes are compensating, so they're actually limiting the greenhouse effect and you're getting a negative rather than a positive feedback."

Duffy: "The climate is actually, in one way anyway, more robust than was assumed in the climate models?"

Marohasy: "That's right ... These findings actually aren't being disputed by the meteorological community. They're having trouble digesting the findings, they're acknowledging the findings, they're acknowledging that the data from NASA's Aqua satellite is not how the models predict, and I think they're about to recognise that the models really do need to be overhauled and that when they are overhauled they will probably show greatly reduced future warming projected as a consequence of carbon dioxide."

Duffy: "From what you're saying, it sounds like the implications of this could beconsiderable ..."

Marohasy: "That's right, very much so. The policy implications are enormous. The meteorological community at the moment is really just coming to terms with the output from this NASA Aqua satellite and (climate scientist) Roy Spencer's interpretation of them. His work is published, his work is accepted, but I think people are still in shock at this point."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back