The cost of one animal per pound butchered.

The land we hunt is a friend of my Dad's he is gracious enough to let us hunt for some meat if we get anything. The land has been in the family for generations.
We put up stands over the years with no new ones this year. I spent $50 on seed and fertilizer. I figure license is a wash because I get combo license to fish as well. The biggest expenses for me is time and gas. The hunt site is 40 miles one way from my house. Three of us hunt 120 acres so all the road clearing, planting, shooting lanes cleared, stand repair, stand moving is done by mostly me and my Dad. A lot of time is involved, and I really cherish the time spent with him and my Son. The hunting part of it is what we do all the work for and that is another of the big rewards, so far this year we have taken 4 deer between us and let a few others walk.
I really try not to think of the money involved per pound. If we were to hunt a club or lease the average around here is probably about $800 a year or $1600 for me and Dad before we would even start to hunt. I think we come out way ahead if I figure it that way.;)

Last edited:
I figure it a bit different.

I hunted on public land so that don't cost nothing. I did spend a hair less then $100 to fill up my truck with diesel. One bottle of propane to cook and keep warm, $20.. I raided the pantry for food. I would have ate that anyway. $50 bucks for the elk tag.

I can't count the cost of the rifle since I've had it for just short of 40 years.

At the most I have $1 in ammo (I reload). I do my own butchering. I figure I have 450 lbs of elk meat. I cut most of that, say 300 lbs in steaks, thats about $1200. The rest in hamberger @ 3.50 per lbs is $525.

Thats $1725 wife says we don't have to spend for meat this winter.

If you figure cost per lbs. that would be $171 for the elk or a profit of $1554.

Don't figure why I should include the cost of my property, it had nothing to do with the elk hunt. My truck is paid for. I paid for my camper/horse trailer over the years by not spending money on motels.

My horse earned his keep many times over so I don't inclue him either. I'm retired so it dosn't cost me any more to set on a mountain then it does to set at home. Except what was listed I didn't buy anything special for the trip.

I didn't figure my antelope, but that was only a few miles from the house and besides the bullet, a couple gallons of fuel, coffee I made on site, and a can of chili I stole from the pantry, that antelope didn't cost that much.

Hadn't went deer hunting. Might shoot one in the back yard if they don't stop eating my hay. Then I'm only out the price of the tag and bullet.

Not really sure if I should count the cost of the bullets though, I'd shoot then up anyway just for the fun of it.

No Sir, its just how you figure it. Cheaper then setting on a bar stool all day.

I can't imagine I spend that much on it. I bought the lifetime license a while back. I hunt on public land. I have gas getting there, don't generally go more than 30 miles to hunt. I usually hunt with a $120 shotgun with a box of 00 buck.

I spent far more when I shot IPSC regularly. And the only thing I ever brought home was an occasional turkey.

Back