The Browning High Power....

SIGSHR

...was JMB's and Dieudonne Saive's one big mistake. Because they designed it around the 9MMP it cannot be chambered in larger calibers such as 9MM Largo, 38 Super and 45 ACP without major redesign and retooling.
That said, I have had mine since 1967, paid $110 for it, a princely sum for a PFC E-3 back then. Bought it after reading-repeatedly-my 1966 edition of W.H.B Smith's Small Arms of the World, yes that 13 round magazine was a big selling point. Currently thanks to the magazine restriction laws here in the People's Republic of New Jersey it goes to the range with my Ciener conversion unit-which I also recommend. Still looking for an adjustable sight slide, have an old tangent sight slide, need the parts for the rear sight. On another board someone mentioned barrels in 7.65MMP, never saw one of those.
At present I do not recommend it as a first handgun, I would part with mine for say $25,000....

When shopping around for my 1st handgun ( pistol) in 9mm. I was asking about a Beretta 92 and it's price.
The gun salesguy advised me about one of a few Browning HP that he had. Citing that the slide cracking in Berettas was an occurance , but not a recall. Get a Browning , said he.
I ignored the heeded warning ... I did not buy a High Power. Bought a 92 SB , instead.

My first handgun was a T series Browning Kapitan. I had to sell it when I left South Africa in 1984, but managed to snag another Kapitan in 2003 (not T series, and no slot for a stock). I also have a green gas Browning Kapitan, makes for a handy little practice tool during this epedemic.

Great pistols, but I actually like the CZ75 a little better .. :cool:

I recommend a CZ with their Kadet unit for a new shooter.
One amusing story, I bought a used barrel, installed it, accuracy was horrible-I was firing 9MMP out of a 40 S&W barrel !

I’ve had four now I think. I like them. If I’m honest I shoot my Beretta 92 better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Hi-Power and I carried and shot one for a long time. They’re just too expensive for me for practical use. I still keep a few as BBQ guns, and it is a perfect size/sleekness/ergonomics that few modern polymer pistols can match. But if you really train with it, you’d better be willing to devote $$$.

And while I don’t care for Beretta 92s at all, they’ll hold up under a heavy shooting schedule better than a Hi-Power.

SIGSHR said:
The Browning High Power....
...was JMB's and Dieudonne Saive's one big mistake. Because they designed it around the 9MMP it cannot be chambered in larger calibers such as 9MM Largo, 38 Super and 45 ACP without major redesign and retooling.
The specifications called for a 9mm pistol. I don't see how doing what you were hired to do can be classified as a big mistake.

Point and shoot is incredible on the Hi Power. Yes they're getting expensive, but you're still getting a hand fitted pistol.

I would consider CCW one in a heartbeat if it weren't for the "lose it to evidence" factor. So I carry the most expendable 100% reliable one I got- XDM-45 3.8.

I have an FM Hi-Power. It is my only 9mm pistol. It has served me well for many years.
As I understand the history, FN gave the Argentines a license to manufacture this copy of the Hi-Power. Parts are supposedly interchangeable with the FN.

That said, I have had mine since 1967, paid $110 for it, a princely sum for a PFC E-3 back then. Bought it after reading-repeatedly-my 1966 edition of W.H.B Smith's Small Arms of the World, yes that 13 round magazine was a big selling point. Currently thanks to the magazine restriction laws here in the People's Republic of New Jersey it goes to the range with my Ciener conversion unit-which I also recommend. Still looking for an adjustable sight slide, have an old tangent sight slide, need the parts for the rear sight. On another board someone mentioned barrels in 7.65MMP, never saw one of those.
At present I do not recommend it as a first handgun, I would part with mine for say $25,000....
If I am not mistaken, Browning did make a .40 High power.

Yes, the designer must adhere to the specifications set by the employer/purchaser. Fortunately for us JMB designed the M1911 around the 45ACP-which he also designed, hence rechambering the M1911 in smaller-minor, if you prefer-calibers required no major redesign and retooling. The Browning HP was offered in 40 S&W, that required some modifications.

If I am not mistaken, Browning did make a .40 High power.

Browning sells /sold a .40 High Power. Browning (the company) doesn't actually make the guns they sell. Never did, as far as I know.

I always loved the feel of the High Power grip in my hand. The rest of the gun,...not so much. I had one in the 80s, nice commercial model made a decade or so earlier.

I found it to be a good gun, but not a great gun. As Maxwell Smart used to say "missed it by that much.." :rolleyes:

My gripes are entirely my personal opinion from the gun that I had. It took the proverbial "three men and a boy" to pull the trigger. (heavy & stiff) empty mags didn't drop free when releases. Sometimes less than full mags wouldn't, either. The safety lever was too small for my comfort level, and didn't positively "click" in either position.

The magazine disconnect was a ROYAL PITA!

And, the pistol is somewhat "fragile", a friend of mine had his damaged (peened locking lugs) from shooting "European surplus" ammo. I can't totally fault the gun for that, as there is 9mm ammo not suitable for handguns, and my friend was unaware of that, at the time.

It' the "Browning High Power" because that's what FN named it, to "honor" the initial designer (and no doubt to use his name to help sell the gun), but if you look at the prototype JM Browning made before he passed away, and the pistol FN eventually produced, there are significant differences. Ones that I think Browning would not have done, if he had still been alive to influence the design process.

Just my opinion, and worth what you paid for it....or less..:D

I was overseas in 70. Sent my dad a letter to buy me good 9mm. He went to LGS where we were star customers. They had Brn HP, S&W 39 and Colt 1911 in 9mm. Dad bought all three.
The Colt would function with any ammo, the Browning was the most accurate shot off rest. The tiny sights were against it. The S&W 39 fired SA with premium ammo was best offhand and that was due to sights, the Brn had better trigger. Now I have one FN HP, it is the competition gun with extended barrel. It is a true target gun. I’ve not owned SIG 210 but this Browning shoots better than I can. I had a HP assembled in Portugal last year and the trigger was terrible. I’ve had guys at range start laying $100 bills out but none have got near my price yet.

The US Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego sold a lot of Browning High Powers for about $100 each in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Most to military helicopter crew members. I've still got mine.

I bought my HP several years ago at a gun show for $500. It has the adjustable sights, Belgium build, and very good condition. PO had removed the magazine safety. I don't think I could ever part with it.

I have an FM Hi-Power. It is my only 9mm pistol. It has served me well for many years.
As I understand the history, FN gave the Argentines a license to manufacture this copy of the Hi-Power. Parts are supposedly interchangeable with the FN.
I have one of those too and really like it. I've been shooting +P ammo in it, but I really ought to tone that back out of respect for the gun. Mine came from the importer without a magazine safety. (pretty sure that was a mistake on their part) I put checkered rosewood grips on it not too long ago. Even with the painted finish, it would make a nice barbecue gun now.

Back