The BEST shot you ever made...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got two of them:

(1) Twelve years old. A poor attempt at gunsmithing turned great. I had one of those Daisy pump-up BB/.177 pellet guns. I sawed it off right to the hinge of the pump, took off the front sight cover, and replaced it on the end of the new, improved barrel. I could put some extra BBs in the barrel for a scattergun effect and tear a beer can to pieces. That said, I got much power and excellent range on the pellets. One day, I was down the dirt road at a pond with high clay hills. A squirrel was thirty yards away from me in a tree at the bank of the pond. Had the gun pumped up waaaay too many times (foolish, I know, but I was twelve. Put a pellet in it. Drew down on Mr. Squirrel. Had to fish him out of the pond, and when I got there, he was twitching reflexively, blood coming out of the wound in his head.

(2) Same gun, but just the barrel. I wore that Daisy out (no pun intended). The barrel was only about a foot and a half long, so I kept it and tossed the rest of it. I took some old shoe laces and cut of the widget-things on the ends, leaving just enough of the original shoe lace as trailer fluff. Raided my mama's sewing basket and put needles in the respective widget-things. Improvised darts. I went to an abandoned house. There was a pitiful looking sofa on the porch, and I saw a sparrow on it. I carefully loaded my dart into my barrel, took a deep breath, aimed, exhaled sharply, and nailed the sparrow in the head.

I like to call that one my Little Something Special. ;)

Hey e a c, I feel for you. My first and only kill taught me a very important lesson. Don't aim at something you are not ready to kill!!

Picture me, 6 years old, watching my friends pick off shots a beer cans. I thought, cool I want to do that so I asked them about it. They laughed at me of course. Gee, I was just a girl after all, what did I know about shooting a gun. But thinking better on the matter the oldest kid smirked and said, "All right girly. Shoot that chick out of that nest and you can shoot with us anytime." O.K. bruised ego time. Time to look good and I couldn't back down. Taking the old .22 I aimed at the bird and though, 'There is no way I'll hit it, after all I've never touched a real gun before' Well took the shot and down the poor thing fell. Now the incident would have ended there never to resurface in my brain except one little fact... (sigh) ... It was not dead. I had to look that fatally wounded baby bird in his tiny beady eyes and shoot it in the head to end its suffering.
Talk about confusion. So happy I actually shot a tiny bird from a branch at least 25 feet away, yet at the same time the sickly feeling in my gut for killing such a tiny defenseless animal tore at my pride. Needless to say I didn't pick up a gun for a very long time either. I highly respect guns now, and there will be NO more accidents.

Hey e a c, I feel for you. My first and only kill taught me a very important lesson. Don't aim at something you are not ready to kill!!

Picture me, 6 years old, watching my friends pick off shots a beer cans. I thought, cool I want to do that so I asked them about it. They laughed at me of course. Gee, I was just a girl after all, what did I know about shooting a gun. But thinking better on the matter the oldest kid smirked and said, "All right girly. Shoot that chick out of that nest and you can shoot with us anytime." O.K. bruised ego time. Time to look good and I couldn't back down. Taking the old .22 I aimed at the bird and though, 'There is no way I'll hit it, after all I've never touched a real gun before' Well took the shot and down the poor thing fell. Now the incident would have ended there never to resurface in my brain except one little fact... (sigh) ... It was not dead. I had to look that fatally wounded baby bird in his tiny beady eyes and shoot it in the head to end its suffering.
Talk about confusion. So happy I actually shot a tiny bird from a branch at least 25 feet away, yet at the same time the sickly feeling in my gut for killing such a tiny defenseless animal tore at my pride. Needless to say I didn't pick up a gun for a very long time either. I highly respect guns now, and there will be NO more accidents.

This year finally drew a bull elk tag for the late season in Arizona (been trying for over ten(!) years to draw one of these). On morning of day three (15 days ago) we glassed up a big bull about a mile and a half away on a ridge - just feeding. Started the stalk. (wind was perfect). Well, after a long up and down hill stalk, I figured that I'd see him from the opposing ridge and get a long shot, so I extended the legs on my bipod and went. Finally, I think I'm getting close to where I should be able to see him up the ridge, I step around a juniper tree and surprise, surprise - about 80 yards away stands my 7X7 bull - quartered away, still feeding. Swung rifle up (with bipod still extended) and made quick offhand shot - BOOM - .300 Win Mag 180 grn entered just in front of shoulder, cut the cord (his head was down) exited cleanly, and dropped him in his tracks. Zero meat damage, he never knew what hit him. Field scored about 330 with a broken #2 tine.

European mount should be back from the taxidermist next week.

DWJ

i was out on a fishing trip with a buddy.
We were about 15.
His dad was a reloader and we were experimenting with .45 slugs as wrist rocket fodder...
At about 25 yards away, i saw a chipmunk jump up into a Rhododenderon bush. It completely disappeared into the dense leafy cover.

Some how, my wrist rocket slug found it & dropped it, dead on its back, into the lake

ever read Zen & the Art of Archery?
there are times when you become one with the target and hitting it is as natural as breathing

dZ

My best shot was with a stick/string. When I was younger I shot a standard 35# recurve in fiberglass and didnt have a clue what I was doing, but enjoyed the bow and arrows with out all the hi tech thats around today.
...My scoutting buddies and I were coming back to camp from shooting the bows at the range and accross this field was a big ole 3' around rock and one of the guys suggested we shoot at it, no one else hit it, and I had a lot of elevation on that bow and the arrow came smack down on that rock and busted the tip off......durn lucky shot, but one I still think of.....fubsy.

Colorado elk hunt 1998. Third season.5x5. Off hand at 250 yds. I would not normally take that shot but no option. I just don't get enough practice. Would still strongly advise against it.

I hit a leftover can at 106 yrds. (measured it off later) with my HK USP40. My friend with me said "do it again" so I did. In the ensuing silence I used the opportunity to empty my mag at my original target and call it a day. I had a hard time keeping my shock off my face after that second shot. He still reveres me as a god (hee hee)

Used to put in about 50 miles a week hiking around the Sonora Desert with various centerfire rifles and got pretty good snap shooting mostly BIG Jackrabbits. They'd bust out of the brush and run some before stopping, usually out of sight. Did so much practicing I must have put down hundreds. Anyway, the one time I was underpowered (Ruger 10/22 with 4X scope), this nice fat coyote appears from nowhere at about 50 yards, strangely he didn't sense me, so I had time to think, should I or shouldn't I. Anyway, figured a headshot would be the only one that would work, and it did, one shot and he went down and didn't move a muscle.
Another good one was a 300 yard shot at Badger who popped out of his hole, 130 gr. Speer hollow point from my trusty Rem. 788 .308 (God, I wish I still had that rifle) put him down instantly.
Ok, just one more, liked to practice in my big backyard (safe backstopped) with my cheap Daisy hand pump BB pistol, Jackrabbit in sight, again, only a headshot would do, had that pistol pumped up to the max, and he never moved again. That pistol was amazingly accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back