The best revolver ever made is the post-war S&W .357

Post WWII “Best ever made”.....I dunno about that. Have you shot every revolver made after WWII? If you have not, you have no real basis for the judgement.

Post WWII “Best ever made”.....I dunno about that. Have you shot every revolver made after WWII? If you have not, you have no real basis for the judgement.

I said Post-War S&W .357. This is the short-trigger revolver.

I have owned and fired all of them.

To be able to judge what the best revolver may be, one should have experience with all revolvers. While I have not handled all models, or revolvers from all manufacturers even, I can throw a few contenders in.

It might be of interest, that the last revolver pictured, is a Korth made in 1969 that I bought used about 12 years ago and have shot almost weekly. Apparently, the finish is more durable than on my 1952 K-22.

Last edited:
To be able to judge what the best revolver may be, one should have experience with all revolvers.
Well, it would still be just another opinion. If I had one revolver just like that person's 'best', mine might shoot horribly or the factory assembler was having a bad day and I'd call it junk.... No, best is in the hand of the beholder. A best for me is a revolver that looks right, shoots accurately, trigger job is right, and feels good in the hand.... and there is only one 'class' of revolvers that even starts to meet that criteria for 'me'. For someone else it might the revolver that stopped a charging bear... Best he ever had and glad he had it.... Then of course is the 'best' at what intended job! That is a whole nother topic which people have argued since the creation of guns in general! I suppose that is why we are all shooting different revolvers too.

rclark wrote:
Well, it would still be just another opinion. If I had one revolver just like that person's 'best', mine might shoot horribly or the factory assembler was having a bad day and I'd call it junk.... No, best is in the hand of the beholder. A best for me is a revolver that looks right, shoots accurately, trigger job is right, and feels good in the hand.... and there is only one 'class' of revolvers that even starts to meet that criteria for 'me'. For someone else it might the revolver that stopped a charging bear... Best he ever had and glad he had it.... Then of course is the 'best' at what intended job! That is a whole nother topic which people have argued since the creation of guns in general! I suppose that is why we are all shooting different revolvers too.

If the English language is applied accurately, then the best is surpassing all others in excellence. You only gave the definition of what is constituting a good revolver for you. Yet, to establish what's the best - surpassing all others, you will need to know about the others and not write from a standpoint of limited experience what is the best in all categories, when it is only the best that you own or have shot - or, as it is so common these days have read about in another gun forum.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I wouldn’t call those the best of anything. I much prefer the pre war Magnums from S&W. However, the finest double action 357 revolvers were not built in this country, as far as I’m concerned.

I've shot quite a few revolvers, and a number of them were .357 magnums. Now I only own one .357 - a Colt Python. It's by far the finest revolver I've ever shot. I don't know if it's the best ever made, but it's definitely in the conversation.

I have no clue. However, I've had a few gunsmiths, one of international fame, tell me that the S&W Model 27-2 was the best revolver ever manufactured to include the Colt Python. All of the smiths were primarily 1911-A1 aficionados. None were Colt 1911-A1 aficionados. They did a lucrative business making Colt 1911-A1s work reliably. They all built their own versions of 1911-A1s.

BTW, I do not think that any of the aforementioned smiths had considered Korth revolvers.

I have no dog in this fight. In fact, I see revolvers becoming close to but not completely obsolete.

Last time I was in a gun store the handgun display ratio was approx 8:1 semis to revolvers.

Back