The best revolver ever made is the post-war S&W .357

For some reason I thought we were limiting it to .357s. machts nichts..

I put .44s and .45s in a different class, but, that's just me.

For .357s, I'm in a bit of a different place than a lot of folks. Except when living outdoors I don't wear a pistol all day, so weight isn't a big deal to me. And, my usual answer to those who say "its too heavy" is "grow stronger! :D"

I want a large heavy pistol because of the strength and ability to damp recoil. I want my .357s to be full magnum loads as close to the original "hot" stuff as I can manage, and there are a LOT of good .357s that simply won't handle that.

I've had a sweet 6" Model 19, and a very nice 4" 66 and let them go, just not what I'm after. No short barrel belly gun .357s either, for me, thank you. I got .38s for that.

So, overall for a .357 DA revolver, my "best" is my model 28, 6" which wears the target hammer and trigger (same as the 27) and Pachmayr grips for my shooting comfort. For an SA, Ruger new model Blackhawk, hands down.

I have a Model 29-2, its a great revolver but not my favorite for heavy .44 loads. Even with pachmayrs full house stuff isn't fun. But with 240s under 1150-ish fps, its great!!

My "best" SA is my .45Colt Ruger Blackhawk 7.5". not a "speed" rig, but a powerful one and my usual recreational "long range artillery" and not for everyone. I've worked on mine, its slick with a feather light trigger and I can ring the 200yd rifle gong, offhand, one handed, six for six on a good day. Of course, I've got almost 40 years practice with it, and shooting the same load 250gr @ 1100fps approx so that might have something to do with it.:D

If your "best" has to do a lot of things well, then choose what works for that. You're not wrong, and for my uses, neither am I.

For me a good revolver has to be accurate, well made and durable. Trigger characteristics, especially in double action, are very important for me as a shooter. The best? The best does not depend on price or value for the money but is the ultimately superior in all aspects - and that is where personal preference will enter the equation and end all objectivity.

The roller bearing on the Korth trigger results in a smoother double action than even the best fitted and polished sear can offer. That's what counts for me.

I own a Manurhin. I own a Python. Sorry, no Korth here.
But in side by side tests for my application, IDPA SSR, I get better faster hits with a Smith.

I know some people are well served with a single action, but my only use for one (two) was competing at CAS which I have not done in some time so my SAA is idle.

My old and much used 5" M27. A hard act to follow.

84bd7cab-67c1-479b-af34-b82075d92dc8-zpsc860fcc2.jpg

Hanshi...that is one FINE lookin' piece 'o hardware...and with the best of all bbl. length...Skeeter would be proud to shoot with you...can't find a pic of my 50th Anniversary 5-incher but it's a regular on my gunbelt...Rod

the old S&Ws shoot better than I do, and will still be running when I am not.

How is anything new, built differently, "better"??

This thread reminded me, I can recall every revolver I ever carried as a uniformed patrol officer. First a S&W 6” model 10, then a S&W 4” Highway Patrolman (model 28), then a Ruger 4” Security Six, 4” Dan Wesson, 4” Colt Trooper, and finally the best of the group a S&W 4” model 586!

Oh yeah, but for the model 10 they were all .357.

Well, obviously the S&W 586 is the best factory made revolver ever made. One would have to be a complete fool not to know that. 686 I guess if you have to have stainless.

Best has to be defined for purpose.

Competition? Workmanship? Shoot-ability? Concealed carry? Target shooting? Hunting? Capacity against a semiautomatic?

Also depends upon who is using it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have a friend who used to own a funeral home, he's retired now. Back in the early 1990's he had an old lady in her 80's come in to make arrangements on her husbands funeral who had passed away the night before. She told my friend up front before they started I don't have any insurance or money to pay for this, but would you consider a trade and he said what do you have to trade that I could use in the funeral home. She reached into her huge pocket book and took out a box in almost pristine condition that had S&W on the box cover, handed it to him and said this.

He opened it up and found all the original paperwork and receipt from a long since out of business hardware store in the community and in the box along with a S&W Registered Magnum and the serial number was if I remember right the 4th or 5th one made, it was among the first 10. It hadn't been fired and no turn marks on the cylinder. I just can't remember the barrel length. He said to her let me make a few calls and I will be back and see what we can do. He said he called S&W and they wanted to buy it from him when he described the revolver and then told him the value and he said thank you. He went to the little old lady and said lets go pick out a casket and vault, a trade will work if this is what you want to do. She was content and he was happy.

I've owned a few Colts, but many more S&Ws to include S&W 27s,28s,57s, 29s, etc. I've enjoyed them all, but the "best" revolver I've ever owned from just solid, precise quality of build perspective is a Freedom arms. If other revolvers are more closely and precisely fitted, I don't know where or how that extra precision would manifest itself....

Back