The best production 1911s

IMO Dan Wesson is the best made production 1911 in the $1500 price range.
I love my Colts, and think highly of some of the Springfields, Smiths, and Sigs in the same price range, but Dan Wesson still gets the nod for fit and finish.

Liked the Series 80 Colt Gold Cup Enhanced but right now i must say that my SA Range Officer Compact in 45 ACP is doing it all for me. Just my .02 worth.

jimku: On 7-25, you asked for opinions as to which production 1911 style pistol is the best one for you to consider buying, along with a list of requirements. Three days later, you explain how you had a gunsmith work his "magic" on the bones of a MetroArms pistol, transforming it into a bargain-priced "custom" pistol.
My question is: why did you have some of us waste our time helping you choose "the best production 1911s made" when you already had decided to do something different and had acted on said decision? :confused:

I got into the 1911 Camp about 11 years ago..At present I own a Colt New defender, and I recently picked up the Colt Classic 01911C, and I have a parkerized Auto Ordnance GI style 1911 made by Kahr I bought before the others..I can say amazingly enough, the Auto Ordnance I can easily put up against ANY colt. its a workhorse, very reliable, and comfortable to shoot..I must have put about 1000 rounds through it without one hitch, and it hit the bullseye at the range 2 shots straight out of the box...I do love my Colts, but again, in my book, The AO can't be beat..I suppose I will have to break in the Classic before I can render a full opinion...

Last edited:
Best production 1911s

I own a number of different 1911s including Colt, Ruger, Kimber, and Dan Wesson. The Dan Wessons are by far the nicest of the bunch. Good triggers, great finish, just plain darned good guns for straight production weapons

Years ago, I bought a Dan Wesson Pointman. It was NOT a good 1911. Numerous issues. I made some disparaging, but accurate, remarks on some web site (can't remember which one). Seems a VP from DW was on that forum. He contacted me. I sent the gun back and boy did I get back a JEWEL. It is the BEST shooter of any firearm I own! I suspect some "personal" attention was paid in bringing that firearm up to standard. Can't add enough GOOD to the Dan Wesson customer service.

I sent the gun back and boy did I get back a JEWEL. It is the BEST shooter of any firearm I own! I suspect some "personal" attention was paid in bringing that firearm up to standard. Can't add enough GOOD to the Dan Wesson customer service.
I've had to send a couple back to DW. Quick turnaround time and then never a problem with either gun. Every manufacturer, even the high end ones, occasionally make a gun with an issue. That's why customer service has to be considered when buying a gun, IMO.

I owned or have owned Colts, Kimbers, SA, etc. and the best value from my experience has been Dan Wesson. They make sweet production 1911s that you don’t need to do anything to.

My Springfield Loaded Target has been flawless for 12 years but for some early hand loading errors with not enough crimp. A joy to shoot and very accurate. Around 20,000 rounds now. hdbiker

Always like to see a new Dan Wesson Reloadron. Maybe he will show us a picture of his. If not, I can go look at mine I guess. :)

Maybe or maybe the debate goes on. I would not mind having a Dan Wesson having read countless reviews about them. I collect the older Colt Series 70 guns and just inherited a Colt with a five digit serial number putting it in 1914. Anyway a Dan Wesson would be nice and the thread starter posted a decent budget. Maybe he got one and maybe not?

Ron

I love my Colt XSE. Close to 20 years no failures ever, straight out of the box.

I am planning on getting a Ruger commander in the near future. Have heard nothing but good things about them.

I don't know the answer to OP's question about "the best" 1911 within his parameters but I do have experience with a new SA Target SS 1911 that cost a bit over $1K recently. (Won it in a raffle - the order went in on Feb. 3 but with the prevailing conditions, the order was not filled until over 6 months later - but it was filled!)

This thing is accurate even for a rank amateur shooter like myself. It's got about 250 rounds down the tube so far. Last weekend, I intentionally shot numerous different bullet configurations - RN, HP, FP, SWC and at different weights - 180, 200, 230 both cast and plated.

Even loading these different configurations in the same mag, no hiccups in cycling whatsoever.

So, I'm happy with this new 1911...

Bayou

Back