BEST:
Quigley Down Under
Seargent York

WORST:
ABC
NBC
CBS
CNN.... oh wait movies....???? SO MANY!
Under Seige, What was that (explative that rhymes with hit) that he did with the .45?
Ive never seen a MAC 10 with a 400 round mag either!
Lethal Weapon series, See Jack 99 above!
ANY flick with that bogus gang-banger side shooting technique, that makes me laugh. I tried it once and dropped a searing hot .45 case into my shirt collar.

------------------
DOCSpanky
"Walk softly and carry a big stick, perferably one of the 12 guage variety!"

One hasn't been made that I really endorse, but then it would have to end up being a training movie. ;)

The original "The Day of the Jackal", was pretty good. Lotsa accurate stuff (back then, some of this stuff was only known to hired guns) mixed with some silly stuff. (Jackal getting "blown away" with a 9 mm sub gun)

Worst was probably "Sniper". The wizz-kids in Hollywood couldn't assure Carlos Hathcock that they would do a movie based on his book without mucking it up, so they went out and threw together this nonsense film. Technical advisor ("Moose Ferran" USMC ret.) was a good technical advisor who has done this stuff(sniping) plenty of times, but like Harry Humphries, often times directors doesn't follow directions from those who know......

My vote is going to "Saving Private Ryan". You have to like the sniper. Good Left handed bolt operation. But why did he want the machine gunner up in the top of the bell tower with him? As if that wasn't an obvious enough hide already!

"The Matrix" was a great movie too. Sure, the gun scenes weren't "real", but I really liked the movie. Loads of symbolism. It was even better on the second viewing.

I rented "Heat" the other day. I thought it sucked. I resorted to fast forwarding to the gun scene. The gun scene was good, but it wasn't worth the cost of the rental or the pain of suffering through the rest of the movie.

Say, how about that part in one of the Beverly Hills Cop movies when B. Nielsen (I think) is shooting a revolver in a range stall and you hear empty casings hitting the ground after every shot.

Kelly's Heroes Rules!

Say cornered rat, do you know if "A Zori Zdes' Tihie" and "Proverka na Dorogah" are available here?

- Ron V.

------------------

[This message has been edited by hksigwalther (edited September 16, 1999).]

BEST that have not been mentioned yet:
Peacemaker - with George Cloony.
Last of the Mohicans (sp?) - with Daniel Day Lewis.
Aliens - with, ah, a bunch of freakin big ugly bugs.
Belive it or not - most Steven Segal flicks have very good gun handling. (I said most now - and not all the time)

Worst that have yet to be mentioned:
Most any Chuck Norris movie - i.e. DELTA FORCE, INVASION USA, those bad "NAM" escape flicks...

------------------
"There is no limit to stupidity. Space itself is said to be bounded by its own curvature, but stupidity continues beyond infinity."
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Zulu, The Siege of Firebase Gloria, They died with Their Boots on, Hell is for Heroes, The Sand Pebbles, To Hell and Back, Sergeant York are all great movies.

------------------
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up... Yankee Doodle

The Siege of Firebase Gloria????
Well, maybe it was a good GUN flick, but it sure as hell wasn't a good MOVIE...unless you considered it a comedy of course.

Say cornered rat, do you know if "A Zori Zdes' Tihie" and "Proverka na Dorogah" are available here?

I have the first one and trying to order the second. Neither is dubbed, but you can likely figure out much of them w/o words. If there's enough interest, I can dub(translate) them onto audio tape and send both along. One Russian movie worth watching (it is out in Hollywood Video, with subtitles) is "Prisoner of the Mountains"...not a gun movie, but a decent war film. VERY much worth watching.

On the bright side: The book A Zori Zdes' Tihie (Dawns are Quiet Here) will be available in English later this year. I am translating it and posting on my web site. I will be doing it chapter-by-chapter (hopefully, with illustrations), so you will be able to tune in every week for more.

[This message has been edited by cornered rat (edited September 17, 1999).]

I only remember the good ones:1. Sand Pebbles( I loved this movie not only for accurate gun handling but great scriptand scenary) 2. Cross of Iron 3. original and remake of All Quiet on the Western Front 4. Zulu 5. Wild Bunch 6. Red Dawn

I only remember the good ones:1. Sand Pebbles( I loved this movie not only for accurate gun handling but great scriptand scenary) 2. Cross of Iron 3. original and remake of All Quiet on the Western Front 4. Zulu 5. Wild Bunch 6. Red Dawn

I thought the fight scene from Heat was really cool. Though it was a long movie. Red Dawn, the whole thing. The fight from the end of L.A. Confidential was good. Saving Private Ryan.

Best guns but not neccesarily the usage of them. The Mummy, lebels, lewis gun, trench gun, and some British revolvers that look like Webleys. Also not realistic, but Ronin had lots of neat guns.

Lethal Weapon 4 has got to be the stupidest piece of crap that I have ever watched. Only sat through it to watch Jet Li fight.

HARD BOILED, John Woo directing Chow Yun Fat.

If you have not seen it... Your missing out on what a REAL GUN FLICK is!

------------------
"There is no limit to stupidity. Space itself is said to be bounded by its own curvature, but stupidity continues beyond infinity."
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Yea George, Hard Boiled is a good one.
Another Sam Peckinpaugh movie I like is the original "The Getaway" with Steve Mcqueen. You gotta like a 12 gauge with oo!
Also "The Outlaw Josey Wales" was cool for black powder guys.

I can't really say about the "best" gun movie because all the movies I've haven't displayed any true gun techniques.

The worst is about all of them. Ever notice someone will have a 1911 style handgun and shoot about a million rounds out of one magazine before reloading. Or ever notice moveis in which there is a hostage situation and the BG has a pump shotgun and every time a hostage talks back the BG pumps it in their face, throughout the entire movie this will happen at least five times, you would think he would be ejecting his rounds when he pumps it five or six times through the movie without firing.

How about a most humorous Gun movie. I have two nominees, actualy three. RASING ARIZONA, TREMORS, and TREMORS II. The survivalist in tremors was hilarious, especialy in two when he shot the monster with an LAR 50 BMG and the round blew up the monster, traveled through a concreate wall, though various other objects, and finaly completly through the engine block of the truck that they were going to use to escape. For humor you must rent TREMOR I & II.

Glock raider

Some how I overlooked your post. The PROFESSIONAL was awesome! The tactics used were just superior in technique. Especialy when about 200 federal agents are in the hallway in front of his apartment and 5 of them are sent for the initial entry and they enter the door closes behind them, then it opens and all five are dead, and he swoops down from the top of the door and shoots at the agents in the hallway and they all take cover. Then he walks down the halway to the cubby where some of the agents are and one of them peaks around the corner and leo has the gun to his head, then the other asks does he see any thing and he shakes his head yes and says hes got a gun to my head. Upon saying this the rest back as far away as possible scared Sh*+less. THAT IS THE BEST SCENE IN ANY MOVIE THAT I CAN REMEMBER!

What I liked the best about Raising Arizona was the cinematography. The camerawork was exceptionally well done.

- Ron V.

------------------

Raising Arizona brings back memories -- the first time I laughed till I cried. The Chase scene -- starting with the acne-faced kid in the stop-and-rob blazing away with a 44 Mag, continuing with the pursuit cops firing their revolvers like they were autos and ending up with the supermarket guy blazing away with his double barrel as our hero ran between the aisles.

The non-gun parts of The Chase were gems too
-- the chained (temporarily) Doberman in the dark yard and the panicky pickup driver -- "Son, you got a panty on yore head". Priceless!

Good

The Substitue: good safety, no body spraying, however they lso don't use sight too much. No Hollywood clips

Bad

Point of no Return: The guns the Girl uses all look cool, but they are all 22LR target guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back