The Best and Worse Gun movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebob

Ok, here is a little lighter subject. What is the best gun movie, as in good handling, technique, effect, etc, you have ever seen.
And what is the worse?
To me, the best is the Wild Bunch.
The worse is Die Hard 3, where the guy shoots down an electric wire with a snubnose!

Best movie I ever saw, as regards handling and technique, was Phantasm. I spotted ONE technical error, when Johnny ejected unfired shells from a pump-action by working it instead of depressing the shell stop (OK, not an error, just not recommended). Otherwise, I was very impressed, especially when he took out a razorball with a snap-shot in a perfect trap stance. Continuity was perfect as well.

Worst: I'll have to think about it. The field is regrettably overfilled with examples of poor handling.

------------------
"Taking a long view of history, we may say that
anyone who lays down his arms deserves whatever he gets."
--Jeff Cooper

At least one of the best would have to be "Quigley Down Under". Great shooters movie if you love long range rifles!

The worst...my...there are so many. How 'bout ABC Nightly News...no, that's not a movie, it's just fiction!

Mikey

[This message has been edited by Mikey (edited September 15, 1999).]

I liked "Rough Riders" on TNT. Technically a made for TV affair, but John Milnius (SP?) is one of us and really strives for authenticity.

Worst is any of the Lethal Weapon series. What a crock. Example: Mel Gibson loads a round of "armor piercing" 9mm and shoots through the blade of a D-8 Cat. It still has enough energy to instantaneously kill the guy in the drivers seat. Sure.....

------------------
"Put a rifle in the hands of a Subject, and he immediately becomes a Citizen." -- Jeff Cooper

Some of the best:
Quigley down under
Legends of the Fall
True Grit
Rooster Cogburn
The Shootist
The Cowboys
The Unforgiven

The worst:
I can't count that high

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Best: The Unforgiven
Quigley Down Under
Heat

Worst: Lethal Weapon III (the already mentioned "cop killer" 9mms that penetrate a bulldozer blade)
Die Hard II (the infamous "porcelain Glock 7" scene and HK SMGs that cycle blanks w/o an adapter)
Stakeout II, among others (for giving a GLOCK a "hammer-cocking sound")

Awwww ... you guys already pinched most of my favourites :(

Among the best:
Quigley Down Under
The Wild Bunch
Zulu (love that volley fire!!)

Among the worst:
Delta Force
Under Siege

B

I too, would have to vote for Legends of the Fall(great movie) and HEAT as some of the best I've seen. (I guess I'll hafta rent Quigley).

Worst? US Marshalls: Special Agent Robert Downey Jr, doesn't even know when his gun's been handed back to him w/ an empty clip.
John Woo movies also qualify, ie Face Off, Replacement killers: good movies but awful gun handling. Chow Yun Fat movies as well...
Tales from the Crypt "Demon Knight". Too many others to mention!

------------------
"...What will you do without freedom? Will you fight?... Fight, and you may die, run and you'll live, at least a while. And dying, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that, for just one chance, to tell our enemies, that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!!!"
-------------------------
je suis prest

Hmmmm,.....

There are so few movies where the actors display proper technique that the only ones I can think of have been nicked. I'm not going to waste space by rehashing them.

Wait! What about "The Jackal"? It's been awhile since I saw it. I seem to remember the only nit-pick I had was Bruce Willis apparently forgetting about the "cold-barrel shot" when he was testing his new 14.7mm "toy". Arguably, that could have been a ruse, since I think he probably intended to kill the machinist all along.

Movies with BAD technique? Howzabout Cindy Crawford's "Fair Game"? Or the lamentable "Barb Wire"? Some movies I actually liked that, unfortunately, had poor gun skills: The Crow, Robocop, Terminator 2, True Lies, <sigh> the list goes on.

Action movies are a dime a dozen (I wanna find the guy with the dimes), but ones with really good action are few and far between. Proper gun handling isn't conducive to wild firefight scenes, though. Right now, I'd be thrilled if some one would just RELOAD in the middle of one once in awhile. :(

------------------
"Is fhe'arr teicheadh math na droch fhuireach"
-Sarabian Oomodo

If it isn't Scottish, it's CRAP! RKBA!

A firearm isn't a weapon until it is used as such.

The best 'ZULU!' pretty authentic overall(including bayonets and uniforms) including the unvarnished mistakes over ammo storage(I have a martini-enfield you see...).
The worst was 'The American President' who got all the fluffies cheering, when he said all he needed was to "get all those guns to stop all that crime", also smeared the NRA as a matter of course.
But others are too numerous to list, I either can't watch them or laugh too much which annoys my wife and children, so I am asked to all those type of things seen on tv and the movies at the range or hunting and so we are a menace to society consequently.

I Hate that !

------------------
***Big Bunny***

Best and worst in same movie:
In the Line of Fire, in which we see the guy create the moulds for a composite double-barreled pistol in, I'm 90% certain, .38 S&W (looked like the .380 2Z loading), but then displayed hunters as drooling idiots, AND implied during testing that the round caused destruction somewhat lighter than a 20mm explosive round!

Quigley Would've been better if they'd made some nod as to the variables one encounters beyond 400 yards with those old rainbow-tragectory rounds. (.45-90?, .45-70?) The business of taking his sight out of a pouch and putting it on and making the 1000 yard bucket shot was cool, but come ON!

Copy Cat started with a stupid assertion about how a shot to the brachial nerve in the gun hand was the way to end a gunfight, but ended with some grim satisfaction, when the heroine not only discovers otherwise, but eventually uses the Mozambique drill.

The Untouchables
A couple of dumb gun scenes, but overall... priceless. "What are you doing?" "Checking my gun." "Did you check it before?" "Yes." "Then leave it alone; all you can do to it is [mess] it up."
Then there's the remark about bringing a knife to a gunfight... And a great sequence in the train station. Rewound and watched that one several times...

There's actually some decent gun-handling in Beverly Hills Cop, what with reloads, etc. Strange sound effects, though, complete with dubbed-in racking sounds before shotgun blasts. Then you get Beverly Hills Cop II, in which "major firepower" is considered to be two pistol-grip pump shotguns at the same time. Prey tell me how one operates two pistolgrip pumpguns at once? But at least that was a comedy...

Agreed on the "cop killer" bullets in Lethal Weapon III. I have lost huge respect for Gibson, Glover, et al, for spouting off teary-eyed about the inherent evilness of guns and cartridges (*that don't exist!!!*), and then straight-up *glorifying* them in their movies, time and again!! I swear, Beretta needs to pin a MEDAL on Mel Gibson's chest, that boy has sold so many 92F's. (Sort of like GM promised a Trans Am a year to Burt Reynolds after Smoky and the Bandit. Lasted two years.)

More when I think of 'em.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

What about "Last of the Mohicans" for best? Sure, the elk going a$$ over teakettle at the beginning is hokey, but they actually show aiming! And loading! Not to mention some classic lines. The cannons blowing the timbers of the fort into toothpicks looked pretty good, too.

Darthmaum - You have not seen Quigley??? I thought EVERYONE had seen Quigley! ;)

Ipecac - Oh Oh... Last of the Mohicans... Take a closer look at the edged weapons in the flick. I go a camp & dressing knife set made by Daniel Winkler who also made the edged weapons for Last. Daniel uses the same materials and techniques that were used back then to make his knives. I got mine to go along with my Sharps .45-110 LRE (a la Quigley). It makes a perfect combination.

If anyone is interested in a custom knife set to go with firearms of bygone eras (Sharps, Cowboy action shooting, Mountain Man, etc) check out Daniels website at
http://artknife.com/makprof/winkler/winkler.htm

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Worst-
Quigley - it's so bad I can't even watch the whole thing - never mind the guns bit of it, if we made a movie that biased about indians like this was about aboriginals and whites you'd be invading us. :(
Best
- a proper Australian movie - robbery under arms - don't know about the accuracy of the gun handling but they had plenty of shooting and the troopers could shoot the crims at long distances. I wish we made more movies like that isnstead of stuff about ballroom dancers and gays.
Made in Bruces part of the world I think.
Certainly worth renting on video - made in the 50's or 60's I think.

Hmmm, worst movie was one with Yahoo Serious where he played a bank robber. Rabbit Assasin can you help me out with the title.
Then there are the garbage flicks put out by Andy Sidaris. Those have got to be the worst displays of gun handling ever. Not to mention completely unrealistic.

Hey, RA .... fair suck of the saveloy, cobs :)

"Quigley" might not have been long on plot or script .... but the guns was good!!!!

As for the movies about ballroom dancers and poofs .... mate, we couldn't find anyone masculine enough here to be in those!!! :)

B

Reckless Kelly - I heard it was bad I never watched it.
We can't seem to make any decent action movies.
The Matrix was made here and they are making the next 2 Star Wars movies here, we have the facilities and talent why the hell do we have to make weirdo movies all the time.
They are making a new mad max movie(road warrior for you Americans, don't know why they had to rename it for you) it will prbably be anti gun.

One favorite -- "Ride the High Coubtry" with Tim Holt and Randoplh Scott. A shootout with
some GREAT lowlifes (Warren Oates and others)
shows the BGs using the old remington Autoloader (1905?) and a M1895 Winchester. This was in the pre-repro days.

Bad Ones? "Stargate", where the good guys are at least 5 minutes deep into the alien temple and THEN start racking the slides of their pump shotguns (sounded Great in those close quarters, though). Then there are all those dogs that show full automatic fire with no shell casings flying about or links dropping out, just the butane muzzle flashes with no smoke. At a minimum, you feel cheated.

Russian movies tend to be good: "A Zori Zdes' Tihie" (Dawns are Quiet Here) is a good example. They show a quad .30 Browning (lend-lease?) AA mount (w/o tracers, for some reason...and the book had a quad Maxim mount), a bunch of 1930 Mosin carbines, 1895 Nagant and a whole mess of MP40s. All gun handling (loading, unloading, realistic effects, ranges, even different and distinct reports) is all done right. The plot is simple, a seargeant in charge of two AA guns takes five of his dozen soldiers (all girls) after two German parachutists that they spotted. They pursue those two across Karelian wilderness and then find not two but sixteen of them! So these six take on the sixteen. After major brush war with rifles, knives, grenades and subguns, the surviving russkie manages to capture three German survivors...but, unlike most Soviet war films, this one mourns the five dead girls and the seargeant that led them survives to feel very guilty about the whole mess.

Proverka na Dorogah (Roadside Trial[Test]) is a movie about partisans, Also lots of good gun handling, awsome scene of 81mm mortars vs. small arms at long range, a very impressive ending with an MG42 on a tower vs. everyone else. In the end, overheated barrel on the MG42 causes the main character to miss more than planned and gets him killed (he fired two belts in less than two minutes)

Of American movies, I'd say Miller's Crossing was pretty good. Once Upon a Time in America is decent.

Not strictly accurate but fun: The Wild Bunch.

Also pretty decent if not perfect: Cross of Iron

And finally, movie with conclusion based ENTIRELY on arcane practices of long-range rifle fire in WW1 - The Light Horsemen. Another OK film along the same lines, Galipoli. Neither is a great movie, but gun handling was done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back