The All new Taurus G3c

jman841

I realize a lot of guys on here are completely anti-taurus, but I am very impressed with the new G3c. It is a minor improvement over the G2c but fixes the two issues that I had with it (Trigger take up, trigger design, sights). I think they have a home run with the new G3c and really would find it hard to justify paying 2-4x for some of it's competitors.

Here's a link to check it out: https://taurusg3.com/taurus-g3c

Glad you are happy with yours but it is kind of early to tell if the G3 is a home run being so new with longer term reliability and durability not being established yet.

As far as paying more money for something else, that is an individual decision and depends on more than a few factors possibly including how many rounds a shooter puts through their pistols on a regular basis, parts availability from manufacturer, service reputation of manufacturer including turn around time, third party support, cost of accessories like magazines, and a long term favorable history of performance/ reliability/durability possibly including unbiased extensive testing like FBI, etc.

Personally I pay more without hesitation but it is good to have options at different price ranges for the consumer to choose from what works for their needs and desires including customer service support.

Glad you are happy with yours but it is kind of early to tell if the G3 is a home run being so new with longer term reliability and durability not being established yet.

As far as paying more money for something else, that is an individual decision and depends on more than a few factors possibly including how many rounds a shooter puts through their pistols on a regular basis, parts availability from manufacturer, service reputation of manufacturer including turn around time, third party support, cost of accessories like magazines, and a long term favorable history of performance/ reliability/durability possibly including unbiased extensive testing like FBI, etc.

Personally I pay more without hesitation but it is good to have options at different price ranges for the consumer to choose from what works for their needs and desires including customer service support.
In terms of "mine" and G3, I don't own one yet and this is not the G3, it is the G3c, the successor to the G2c and was announced yesterday. I don't believe they are available for sale just yet.

So in terms of "Longer Term Reliability" it is a direct descendant of the G2 platform and the previous PT111 platform that has been around for nearly 20 years and is known to be very reliable. There may be some initial issues with a new update, but I would compare the G3c with that of say a Gen 5 Glock vs. Gen 4 Glock. It's an old platform, just a minor update and a platform that is known to be very reliable.

As for 3rd party support, one of the great enhancements on the G3c is the new sights. the new sights use the same dovetail and front site style as the Glock 19 and therefore have one of the largest aftermarket supports available.

As for mags, they are compatible with some Sig mags, canik mags, and I believe a few others, so tons of options if you don't go with OEM mags.

Support for holsters and triggers may be limited to start as it's a new model, we will see if it's compatible with previous G2c holsters.

I think the biggest drawback with Taurus is their poor reputation of customer service, although there are also some high end companies who have terrible customer service. There have been reports that Taurus has improved their customer service significantly in the last year or so, but I have no direct experience with it.

I realize some people will always be willing to pay more for their preferred brand, as is the case with anything, but the gap of benefits over additional cost is really closed with the G3c.

With this said, we will see what happens when they get to market, but I plan to pick one up as soon as I can after researching tons of different options in the sub-compact 9mm category. This would be a serious contender if it was the same price as it's competitors ($400-$600 range), but at under $300, it's a no brainer.

There's always risk with a new model update though as we saw with the Gen 4 Glock 19's (I had nothing but a headache with mine, issues with extractors, issues with recoil springs, etc. took them a good 1-2 years to work out all the issues with the Gen 4 Glock 19's) so we will see.

Is it supposed to compete with the Hellcat and other sub compacts?
I don't believe so as it's not as small, It's more a direct competitor with the Glock 26. The predecessor, the Taurus G2c was one of the best selling handguns in the US for the last 5 years. This is the refresh of that with some nice improvements, not a new design.

I realize some people will always be willing to pay more for their preferred brand, as is the case with anything, but the gap of benefits over additional cost is really closed with the G3c.

Value isn't a universal determination. You may well look at it and determine that for yourself that the above is true, whereas someone else may determine differently. All that said I hope this does well for Taurus.

Is it supposed to compete with the Hellcat and other sub compacts?

Think of it as a Glock 26 with a grip big enough to actually hold.

---edit to add---

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/glock-g26-vs-taurus-g2c

A half inch more grip length for the G2C (with consequent slightly higher capacity) vs. the Glock 26, otherwise very close.

I've contemplated the baby Glock, but every time I pick one up, the grip just seems too short for my hands.

Last edited:
With a better trigger, better ergo's, metal sights from the factory, and half the price. I think it's considerably thinner as well, making it easier to concealed carry.

Is the trigger on the G3 that much better than the G2c? The trigger on the G2c wasn’t terrible but it wasn’t what I would call better than a Glock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations. Between my family and I, there are a total of 5 Taurus brand firearms, and so far they've all been 100% reliable.

Is the trigger on the G3 that much better than the G2c? The trigger on the G2c wasn’t terrible but it wasn’t what I would call better than a Glock.

I have not fired one yet, but looking at the review videos that show the take up, wall, break, and reset, I would say yes, without question on the break.

Glocks have great resets, but are known to have really mushy breaks. The main complaint with the G2c's trigger was there was an insane amount of take up and the break was very far back. This looks to have corrected those two issues, We will see once I get one on hand, but I would say most glock competitors have much better triggers than the glock does (M&P 2.0, CZ P10c, HK VP9, etc.). The stock trigger on the P10c is pretty incredible for a production gun, in my opinion.

The one thing I was hoping to see on the G3c that they didn't do was a decocker instead of the safety. Since it has the ability to fire from a decocked striker, as a carry gun, it woudl of been really cool to have the longer and heavier initial trigger pull with the short crisp subsequent ones in a low cost, reliable, simple and small striker fired pistol. I personally don't think the "2nd strike" capability is of much value as a well designed striker on quality ammunition has a very very low chance of a failed primer, but it would of been great to see a decocker. Not sure why they don't have one if they are going to add the benefit of the ability to shoot with a decocked striker.

I’ve owned all of the pistols you mentioned except the Taurus, and just recently bought another P10-C. I don’t find the triggers on Gen 5 Glocks to be that far behind and they don‘t hinder my shooting, but trigger opinions vary a lot.

So you seem to be basing a lot on these third person reviews. Would you link the reviews in question so we could also watch/read?

I’ve owned all of the pistols you mentioned except the Taurus, and just recently bought another P10-C. I don’t find the triggers on Gen 5 Glocks to be that far behind and they don‘t hinder my shooting, but trigger opinions vary a lot.

So you seem to be basing a lot on these third person reviews. Would you link the reviews in question so we could also watch/read?

Sure, again, it's pure speculation as I have yet to hold a G3c in my hand.

Here's the videos and article I am referencing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEutjbYMtRc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNnkNcRbUB0

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2020/6/15/review-taurus-g3c/

I don't mean to be a dink, but the G2C and G3C is just a PT111 Millennium.

Major changes is the G series isn't going to kill you if you drop it.

They are pretty much the exact same thing except for slide cuts and updating the Taurus safety.

I owned a PT111 and PT140.

I don't mean to be a dink, but the G2C and G3C is just a PT111 Millennium.

Major changes is the G series isn't going to kill you if you drop it.

They are pretty much the exact same thing except for slide cuts and updating the Taurus safety.

I owned a PT111 and PT140.
It's and updated version, same as the Gen 5 glock is an updated version of the Gen 1 glocks of the 1980's, not sure of your point. Or the S&W M&P vs. M&P 2.0 etc.

With that said, they made some very nice improvements to the trigger, sights, and coating.

Seems like a smart move, a proven platform with continuous improvements and the name suggests as much.

Sure....but nothing physically has changed from the same gun I bought in 2007?

Thank goodness the straight 8 sights left the building. Never loved those :)

Hopefully the G2C pricing wasn't because the G3C was coming out. Cause I don't think a $300 G3C competes well with same range guns.

Meh.

Sure....but nothing physically has changed from the same gun I bought in 2007?

Thank goodness the straight 8 sights left the building. Never loved those :)

Hopefully the G2C pricing wasn't because the G3C was coming out. Cause I don't think a $300 G3C competes well with same range guns.

Meh.
What do you mean nothing physically has changed?

Totally new slide, they adjusted the grip texture and design slightly, new trigger, updated mags, etc.

If it were $400 or $500 this is a legitimate contender with it's competition. What would any other firearm in the $300-$600 range have that this doesn't?

If they actually fixed the trigger with the G3C, it becomes more interesting. Dislike the long sweep and extreme rear reset on the G2.

If they actually fixed the trigger with the G3C, it becomes more interesting. Dislike the long sweep and extreme rear reset on the G2.
I agree, That was my hesitation to get a G2c, although there are some nice aftermarket triggers that fixed it.

It looks like the G3c trigger is much better and is similar or the same as the G3 trigger which has received pretty high praise in reviews.

Back