The "90% myth" comes from Obama, now

jrm posted:
When I read the I can't help but visualize a scene from Blazing Saddles. The one where all the "bad guys" are standing in line signing up. I can see that little desk sitting on the US/Mexico border, with Slim Pickens selling AWs to Mexican cartel members dressed as Nazi's, KKKs, etc.

Good one jrm. Maybe we could steal another scene from Blazing Saddles and set up a toll both at the border and charge 10 cents to come in. That way, they'd have to go back to town and get a $hitload of dimes. Slim Pickens was so good in that movie. "Anyone got a dime?" Shoot. Someone's gonna have to ride back to town and get a $hitload of dimes". Classic.

I was watching CSPAN this weekend and Hillary Clinton was at the House Foreign Afairs Committe (for like over 3 hours, I caught around 2 hours of it).

When I heard this exchange, I had to rewind (dvr) and record the audio with the memo program on my wicked old cell phone (hence why you'll probably have to blast your audio all the way to 11).

I don't remember who asked the question, but here it is:
EDIT: Looks like I grabbed that part. It's Congressman Poe from Texas.

jofaba.com/media/audio/90 or 17.wav

And here is Hillary's response.

jofaba.com/media/audio/hillary response.wav
EDIT: If you can't stand listening to Hillary, Poe pipes back in around 1:46.

I found it to be a VERY interesting exchange. Let me know if any of you have problems playing that. My phone records them as .wav, and I don't know how common of a file type that is these days.

Last edited:
It occurs to me the debate about how many guns come from the US is the wrong question.

The real question is whether any gun ban in the US will limit access to arms by the cartels.

The answer is that these boyos move TONS of ILLEGAL CHEMICALS ACROSS CONTINENTS and have already accessed considerable amounts of arms which cannot have come from US gun stores.

Mexico's gun ban doesn't work, nor anyone else's in Central and South America. We can't keep our own felons away from guns.

You are going to hinder the cartels? How stupid do you think I am, Mr. Holder?

It occurs to me the debate about how many guns come from the US is the wrong question.

The real question is whether any gun ban in the US will limit access to arms by the cartels.

The answer is that these boyos move TONS of ILLEGAL CHEMICALS ACROSS CONTINENTS and have already accessed considerable amounts of arms which cannot have come from US gun stores.

Mexico's gun ban doesn't work, nor anyone else's in Central and South America. We can't keep our own felons away from guns.

You are going to hinder the cartels? How stupid do you think I am, Mr. Holder?

Answer: Very.

I don't necessarily agree with your comparison to our own felons; they often get guns the easy way, which is to steal them locally from the homes of law-abiding gun owners (or buy ones that were stolen). This doesn't necessarily apply to cartels.

But yes, the idea that we'll "hinder" them any further than upping their costs marginally is absurd. These are organizations that bring in millions upon millions of dollars and apparently have no trouble moving illegal goods across international borders by land, sea, and air. If their guns weren't coming (however indirectly) from a sporting goods store or gun show in the U.S., they'd be coming from a freighter straight from China.

You will cut into their profits, but you will not reduce the violence south of the border. Period.

Juan Carlos posted:
But yes, the idea that we'll "hinder" them any further than upping their costs marginally is absurd. These are organizations that bring in millions upon millions of dollars and apparently have no trouble moving illegal goods across international borders by land, sea, and air. If their guns weren't coming (however indirectly) from a sporting goods store or gun show in the U.S., they'd be coming from a freighter straight from China.

I can't remember the year, but I seem to recall it was circa 1997 when our govt. caught a shipment from China of full auto AK-47's coming into Los Angeles on a ship. Who were those for? How many had come in prior to us catching ONE shipment? How many have made it in since then? Who is buying them? Who is selling them? These are questions I never heard answered back then.

Juan, you are absolutely spot on with your analysis. The black market is very adaptable and flexible. If you cut off one arm it immediately grows another if not two. It's a profit and loss market like any legal one and operates on the principles of supply and demand. It also keeps an eye on the "legal" markets to adjust its own behavior. So, if the "legal" market tightens up the supply of guns, while the demand remains the same, the price in the legal market goes up. The black market may then have an opportunity to reap some profits by replacing some of the lost supply to fill the demand. It's econ 101. For the stupid people like Jimmy Carter, what is it that you don't understand about how markets, including black markets, work?

Edited to add: The year was 1996 and it was Oakland, not LA. My error and my apologies for it.

Last edited:
don't necessarily agree with your comparison to our own felons; they often get guns the easy way, which is to steal them locally from the homes of law-abiding gun owners (or buy ones that were stolen). This doesn't necessarily apply to cartels.

My point is we have all this law on the books to punish felons in possession, and what has happened because of the law?

Nothing much, so far as I can tell. In CA (and elsewhere), the felons carry concealed without permits (illegal), shouldn't have a weapon anyway, discharge weapons within city limits (illegal)...usually in the conduct of an illegal act.

Criminals usually won't give you a **** in a tin potty for written law. They don't care. People like Obama think that law and talk is really something because they have never done anything else. They are wrong.

None of the written law does anything to prevent this from happening unless a criminal decides for whatever reason to quit being a criminal.

An AWB is not going to have any affect on the cartels, and that should be the point to make in any discussions with anti's...not how many guns go south, IMHO.

My point is we have all this law on the books to punish felons in possession, and what has happened because of the law?

Nothing much, so far as I can tell. In CA (and elsewhere), the felons carry concealed without permits (illegal), shouldn't have a weapon anyway, discharge weapons within city limits (illegal)...usually in the conduct of an illegal act.

Criminals usually won't give you a **** in a tin potty for written law. They don't care. People like Obama think that law and talk is really something because they have never done anything else. They are wrong.

None of the written law does anything to prevent this from happening unless a criminal decides for whatever reason to quit being a criminal.

An AWB is not going to have any affect on the cartels, and that should be the point to make in any discussions with anti's...not how many guns go south, IMHO.

I'll admit right up front that this is nitpicking, but it's just something that bothers me.

Yes, these laws do have an effect. We can argue how much of an effect, but it's non-zero. I have little doubt that if we instituted a nationwide handgun ban tomorrow that handguns would still be available illegally. But, with one major point of supply eliminated (theft from the law abiding) and absent any decrease in demand, the price would go up. Thus less would be able or willing to buy one. EDIT: And with a decrease in demand, thus steady prices, the number of guns on the street would decrease as well.

Laws on the books to bust felons in possession do have an effect. Because now, instead of having to catch them during or after a robbery committed with a firearm, you can prosecute them just for having the firearm. Which means if you find the gun during a random stop prior to the crime, arrest them, try them, and convict them then you have prevented that crime.

Again, it may not be a dramatic effect, but it's non-zero.

Same goes for a theoretical AWB in an attempt to restrict guns to cartels. Take the weapons off the shelves in the U.S., and out of citizens' houses, and you are effectively drying up one supply of weapons to Mexico (whether through straw purchases or theft). Yes, there are other supply routes; however it's pretty obvious that this route is utilized because it is either cheaper or safer (or both) than the alternatives. Force them to utilize alternate supply lines, and obviously you've either increased their costs or increased their risk of interdiction.

Again, the effect may be marginal...but it's non-zero.

The problem with "arguing" with an anti-gun activist is that none of this will matter. See, they put a zero value (or negative value) on firearm ownership (or possibly just some forms of ownership, like "assault weapons")...so telling them that this will have near-zero or even zero impact south of the border isn't going to sway them one bit. You're talking about people who would be fine with the restrictions in and of themselves.

EDIT: And the second you claim it will have no effect you lose any credibility with any rational fence-sitters; because they're going to realize that basic economics suggests it will have some effect, and thus you are pretty obviously wrong.

laws only effect law abiding people, the cartels and criminals don't care what laws we pass, including anti fire arm legislation - that only inhibits "good legal citizens" from being able to protect themselves...

once again everyone starts trying to feed an aspirin to this headache instead of tackling the real problem... stop the use of illegal drugs and illegal immigrants, it should be hammered into every commercial, tv ad, advertisement, and in classrooms... it should be treated as a major sin against this society:eek:

if every one stopped using the drugs any "cartel" was selling, what would happen?
if actually enforced the laws we have already about illegal immigration, what would happen?

if every one stopped using the drugs any "cartel" was selling, what would happen?

Yes, that's the answer. Just get everybody to stop doing drugs.

I'm going to resist making lots of sarcastic remarks, likely involving ponies and/or unicorns, and just say that your question is absurd and irrelevant. Well, at least insofar as the only way people will stop using the drugs the cartel is selling is if they can buy them from legitimate corporations because they've been either heavily decriminalized or fully legalized.

if actually enforced the laws we have already about illegal immigration, what would happen?

Didn't you just say that laws only affect the law abiding?

By "enforcement" of laws are we talking about arresting and/or deporting people as we find them? Because that's not going to do much, at least not so far as the flow of drugs and weapons is concerned. If by "enforcement" you're talking about a fence or more guards then, well, good luck. There's real room for improvement, but I have a feeling that guns and drugs will still flow across that border long after we've cut the flow of gardeners and nannies to a trickle.

Did anyone get a chance to listen to the links I posted? I hadn't seen much discussion about it online elsewhere and was hoping to get your reaction. I thought it was interesting. I recorded it for my father, he's an anti that I'm working on, but was hoping some of you would find it interesting as well.

It's not an advert for my site, I haven't updated it since around 2007 and it was mostly gaming oriented. It's just the server space I have.

Juan Carlos posted:
Same goes for a theoretical AWB in an attempt to restrict guns to cartels. Take the weapons off the shelves in the U.S., and out of citizens' houses, and you are effectively drying up one supply of weapons to Mexico (whether through straw purchases or theft). Yes, there are other supply routes; however it's pretty obvious that this route is utilized because it is either cheaper or safer (or both) than the alternatives. Force them to utilize alternate supply lines, and obviously you've either increased their costs or increased their risk of interdiction.

Again, the effect may be marginal...but it's non-zero.

When the UK virtually banned all firearms, what happened to the number of "illegal" guns in the UK? Did the numbers go up or down? I've read that they went up dramatically and now number over 3 million. You would have a very hard time taking all of the assault weapons in America out of the homes. More would get smuggled in to replace many of the ones which were taken away. This is what happened in the UK. The smugglers all of a sudden had a gun free market and there was still a demand for guns. Gun control seldom affects the "demand" side of the equation, only the supply side. The smugglers in the UK were very happy to fill the need. Plus, the black market typically sells much cheaper than the "legal" market because they have no taxes to pay, no upkeep on the buildings, no employees to pay, no heating and electric bills for their business locations, etc. And, they don't even pay wholesale prices in many cases because the guns were obtained at a virtual cost of zero through theft or other corruption in the government.

I agree that gun laws seldom have "zero" effect. However, sometimes the effect is not something the authorities were hoping to accomplish when they passed certain gun control laws.

Here's an example. Lets say you ban handguns and are almost totally successful in removing all of them from society. What happens? The criminals turn to shotguns which can be sawed off and have the stocks shortened so that they relatively concealable. A sawed off shotgun with 00 buck is much more deadly than most handguns at close range. Thus, instead of injuring his intended target if he decides to shoot, the perp will typically kill them.

Last edited:
If their guns weren't coming (however indirectly) from a sporting goods store or gun show in the U.S., they'd be coming from a freighter straight from China.

You will cut into their profits,
I was with you right up to that last statement.

Before Clinton stopped the import of Chinese firearms to the U.S. it was possible to buy a brand new Chinese SKS rifle for $50 dollars on the retail market.

We may make it less convenient for them to purchase arms, but if we force them to start buying guns & ammunition directly and in quantity from the Chinese they'll actually save money. LOTS of money.

The root of the problem

I blame the overly corrupt MexiCAN'T government and military. I'm sure the weapons were made in the US... And then sold to the Mexican government! The latest American Rifleman had a picture of cartel members handcuffed in front of a bunch of Class 3 stuff (fully auto m16s with 40mm grenade launchers, 40mm shells, and hand grenades) and plenty of body armor... ALL with Mexican government/military/police logos on it.

Back