The .41 Magnum Club

I have one 41 mag- a smith 57 6" from the early 80s if I recall correctly. I have been searching for a 6" 657, but they are quite rare in my area, hoping for find one like the pic in ballisticxlr's post on page 1 of this thread

Its a great cartridge- more punch than a 357, without the pain of the 44's recoil.

Like Mike Irwin, my plinking load is a 215 gr lead bullet over win 231- I'd have to check, but I think its 7.0 grains. I step up to AA7 or power pistol for more punch when I want it.

My go to is 8-8.2 gr do Green Dot using any 210-220 gr lead, coated, or copper plated bullet. I’ve been shooting quite a few of these since the early 80’s. Tried Unique, too dirty and too snappy for my casual shooting load. I’ve even loaded GD all the way down to 4gr for bunny fart loads with no ill affects, feels about like a .38sp.

attachment.php

Crazy Carl love the Blackhawk!

Value

I have a 57 S&W 8 3/8 barrel with target trigger hammer and grips polished blue finish shot only a few times any estimate on value.

I’d guess between $1000.00-$1500.00. Unfortunately the long barrel hurts the market value so unless it’s literally unfired in the box and some collector wants one real bad I’d say around the $1000.00 mark give or take a little.

Thanks Jetinteriorguy I bought it from a friend for 500 it is in like new condition I don't know that he shot it over ten rounds maybe.

Thanks Jetinteriorguy I bought it from a friend for 500 it is in like new condition I don't know that he shot it over ten rounds maybe.
Wow, that is a super score. I’d grab a deal like that in a heartbeat, even though not a fan of long tubes it would complement my 6” and 4” to make a nice set. Congrats.

Years ago I helped a shooting buddy buy a 4 3/4" 3 screw in .41 mag. I had a 4" 19 and we shot together often. I still have some of the loads for his .41 We used 7.5 gr Unique and a 210gr cast for a comfortable load with some punch. He was lucky enough to buy his with a well made drop rig and some ammo which we reloaded.

Another friend was wanting a dirty harry 44 and back then all that was available was a nickle 6" model 57 back when they came in those neat wooden boxes. We loaded the same cast round for him along with a 13.8gr Blue Dot/ 200gr Speer jhp back before there were any Blue Dot warnings.

Then came the time I almost bought a .41. A Thompson Center Super 14 Contender with the neat wood stock, flared forend and the rear sight all the way at the rear - or the 30-30 barrel. Yup, I could only afford one and went with the 30-30 and have regretted not buying the.41 since. Still have that old wood. I always liked that front flare.
attachmentid=113152&stc=1&d=1615864992[/url].

Seems like I always went .44 or .45 and never have owned a .41
Shot a few and with some loaded rounds in the basement, who knows, I may need something to shoot it from someday.

Attachments

• 19090069_7.jpg
    19090069_7.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 76
Gotta admit, that Stainless 657 is one pretty pistola though I prefer a shorter bbl.

One of my grail guns...specifically, the Mountain Gun version....would make a hellofa back country chest carry piece...or a 5-shot like Smith's M-69.

YMMv, Rod

I've have a nickel Model 57 w/6" bbl bought new in 78. Came in a beautiful wood case with screwdriver, cleaning rod, swab and brush.Had a gunsmith do a trigger job and it is the smoothest double action trigger I've ever shot. This is a tack driver. Whenever I want to have a great day shooting this is my go to gun.

Gotta admit, that Stainless 657 is one pretty pistola though I prefer a shorter bbl.

One of my grail guns...specifically, the Mountain Gun version....would make a hellofa back country chest carry piece...or a 5-shot like Smith's M-69.

YMMv, Rod

Love my 657 Mountain

41 Mag

As others have said, we love our .41's/

Mine is a S&W model 57 fully coated by Armoloy directly from S&W factory.

It is wonderfully accurate and a joy to reload (no Blue Dot powder). I use it for boar hunting with great success.

Ten years ago I began reloading .41 Special which feels a lot like a .44 Special.

Good luck.

I've always had a soft spot for the .41mag, though I only have one at the moment. I had Mark Hartshorne make me a 3" RB .41mag 28-2 using an old Bubba'd Highway Patrolman, a titanium cylinder from an M357PD and a 4" M58 barrel. It was built to be a working gun so it got a matte blue finish making it kind of nondescript but it shoots great and carries well, exactly what I was after.

Attachments

• 20170811_102810.jpg
    20170811_102810.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 20170822_155109.jpg
    20170822_155109.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 92
Back