The 30-30, who says they can't shoot distance!

my rem 788 in 30-30 will push a 150gr nosler bt at 2400 fps and more with no problem at all. but even at 2400fps that bullet still carries 1830fps with 1116fpe at 300yrds and it even still has 1662fps with 920fpe at 400yrds.. 2.8" high at a 100yrds has a zero at 200yrds and 11.5 low at 300yrds. and a 8" gong at 300yrds with my rem 788 is a piece of cake, i just run 15 clicks up on the scope and hold right on. eastbank eastbank..

The advent of long range rifles (we are talking over 100 yards, probably less than 300 yards) in the hands of, and used, by sportsman has little to do with the advancement of firearms, ammunition, or even entirely new platforms firing new ammunition. It has, in my opinion, virtually everything to do with the advent and advancement of optics on rifles used by "everyday" sportsman.

what are you talking about(little to do with hunting rifle adeduacy). most here would not shoot at a running animal at any range, me being one of them. and i do carry a range finder,a small leupold. the normal accepted energy for most deer size game is 1000fpe and the 150gr-nosler or 150gr-hornady sst give over 1100fpe at 300yrds when started at 2400fps. now if you said with out a good rest, that statment would apply to most hunters and rifles. eastbank.

I'm not much of a fan of the standard buckhorns found on most .30-30 lever guns.

However, the "cheap" one-piece, non-folding, aluminum rear sight (Williams, I believe) that Marlin used on 336Ws for 6-8 years was always much more user-friendly - for me. Though still a semi-buckhorn, the shape seemed to be much easier for the eye to pick up and keep aligned.

I have a picture of one somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I recently got my .444 Marlin build to the point that it is suitable for hunting (not, necessarily, "finished"; but good enough for normal use and I'd be willing to drag it through the forest).
The difference between good sights and the stock semi-buckhorn is night and day.
Skinner Winged Sights make it feel like a completely different rifle.

Eastbank, I too carry a ranged finder in my bag. But most stands I hunt I've range natural "markers" and I know about how far a deer is anywhere in my shooting lanes. I won't take a shot over 200 yards at a deer with my 30-30, which where I hunt its not needed anyway. But up to that range an FTX Lays them down right where they stand. All of my buddies have the super duper short ultra magnum blasters to kill deer at 200 yards or less :rolleyes: And they wonder why we have to track em. I've watched em shoot these rifles and they flinch like no tomorrow anticipating recoil, etc. IF you can't SHOOT that super magnum there is NO point to all that power. I put the dirty dirty in the boiler room and the deer go to the house, cleanly and ethically. I've tried deer rifles in my career up to 300 Win Mag and went back and settled on the PROVEN 30-30. Why? because I shoot it well. The 30-30 performs better on deer to 200 yards than my 303 does or at least at this point it does, I gotta find a better combo for the .303.

The .30-30 out of a Savage 340A tends to drive tacks. As mentioned, it's more about the rifles than the cartridge. Lever actions tend to have low end barrels and poor triggers. Plus the crappy sights.

Here are the two 30-30's I took to the range Friday. They are both great shooting guns. Cleaned up and ready for the next trip.

IMG_20160430_100139433.jpg

Based on some experience at the local range, "It shoots good enough for deer" means "I can't hit a barn door at 20 feet, but I might get lucky and get a deer instead of my dad's Chevy pickup."

Jim ;)

Based on some experience at the local range, "It shoots good enough for deer" means "I can't hit a barn door at 20 feet, but I might get lucky and get a deer instead of my dad's Chevy pickup."

That sounds about right. Personally, I won't hunt with a gun unless I can at least shoot sub 2" groups with it. Closer to one inch is preferable. ;)

Ok, where in this thread did I say I shoot deer with a 30-30 at 200+?

I made it clear that these two rifles are for range fun. Ringing gong isn't anything close to ethically killing a deer.

Why does the deer thing keep coming up?

I load these rifles to shoot 200-400 yrds on gongs with open sights from a bench, sometimes I stand offhand if I'm having a good day.

The 30-30 is very capable of shooting accurately to several hundred yards, but punching paper, ringing a gong has absolutely nothing to do with ethically taking a deer.

Not sure where the deer hunting stuff came from. Where I live in the mountains ov VA, a 250 yrd shot is a long one due to the roll of the land

That sounds about right. Personally, I won't hunt with a gun unless I can at least shoot sub 2" groups with it. Closer to one inch is preferable.

Tex45. You can do this? Offhand? Unsupported? At 100 yards? Iron sights? Consistently?

Wow dude, you're my hero!:cool:

I have killed one forkhorn buck at a shade over 230 yards with an iron sighted Winchester, that I had shot a bunch at 200. Hit it through the shoulders from prone with a 150 grain softpoint, it went one stride and pitched over- never got up. The deer was in season and I knew I could make the shot. That was between me and the deer, as far as I'm concerned.

Six offhand to 250. And you broke the gong too boot. Now that's some fine shoot'in partner. The word Marksman comes to mind when I read such comments. Congratulations sir.

pick up a used rem 788 in 30-30 put a 2x7-3x9 compact leupold on it and work up a load useing the 150gr nosler BT or 150gr hornady sst bullets at 2400fps and sight it in 2.8 " high at 100yrds that will put you on a 200yrds and about 12" low at 300yrds. you may not want to shoot at deer at those ranges, but don,t say the 30-30 will not cleanly kill them if you do your part with the right rifle and scope combo. eastbank.

I put the Williams FP-TK rear sights on my 340a and a Marbles front ramp. It shoots very nice with that set up. Easy to dial up distance or dope wind with the Williams FP

The Win 94AE has a XS ghost ring rear and original front sight. It shoots 3" high at 100 but puts all three in a ragged hole(factory Remington 180g Core Lokts). I'm just now starting to load for it. I'm very anxious to see what I can get it to do with my reloads.

I've shot many deer with the 30/30. Farthest was 265 yards (paced.)

I have no complaints with the 30/30. I even own two of them now. A Texan made in 68 and a half magazine Glenfield 30.

Deaf

Back