Tell me about your big-bore choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deaf Smith wrote:

Do I need to say more?

Yup. Looks pretty, but do you shoot it very often ? What are the SWC loads rated at ? Do you enjoy shooting this revolver ? How many rounds per session do you shoot ?

I have a .44mag SRH. That's my largest.

I fired a .454Casull. That is the largest I've shot, other than a .50AE semi-auto.

The .454 isn't as powerful as the .460 or .500, nor the .475/.480 sizes [or so I understand].

After my experiences with the .454, I have no desire for anything larger.

Why? I want something I enjoy. Not something with max power, but the max I can repeatedly fire for fun.

I can put 50 rounds of PPU .44mag 240gr HP through my SRH without significant concern. I am about as accurate at the end as the beginning. And that is a round producing around 1200 ft/lbs of muzzle-energy. Use the more 'normal' rounds at 750-800 ft/lbs of power and it is even more fun!

I shot a range-mate's .454 Freedom Arms revolver, putting all 6 rounds in 3" at 10 yards. I don't think that is good, but it is acceptable: especially for first time.

Life saving? Yep.

However, after the cylinder was empty, I was done. I realized I would only shoot 1 cylinder per trip if I had one.

So, my decision is based on my 'fun' factor.

I don't handgun hunt, nor do I carry one for personal defense in bear country. Where I am a bear-load .357 will probably work [black only, at most, and cougar].

So: no need for more than .44mag and don't find it fun.

Cost per smile: too high!

My big bores...

S&W Model 58 .41 Magnum
S&W Model 24 .44 Special
S&W Model 25-5 .45 Long Colt
S&W Model 1917 .45 ACP

Springfield M1911-A1 .45 ACP
S&W Model 4506 .45 ACP

I had a 7" (I think) stainless .44mag SBH that I never could get myself to like. Sold it at least 10 years ago...

I guess you could say I replaced it with the 5.5" stainless RedHawk (not Super) in .45 Colt. Probably won't be letting that one go until I give all my shoot'n stuff to my sons. It's a pleasure to shoot any thing from mild to wild in that one. Handles more pressure than the BH's too, although I've never exceeded published "Ruger only" loads.

For some reason I don't think of my .45acp's as big bores even though they have the same bore size.

I'm old school.....As far as I can tell there is no real reason (other than just being able to say you own something bigger) for anything bigger than a .44 mag or .45 LC. Any bigger and it's just about bragging rights.

My first big bore revolver, and one of the first handguns I ever bought many years ago is a Ruger Super Blackhawk. I think it was about a hundred and twenty bucks in 1972! Still have it, still shoot it, and on occasion still hunt whitetail deer with it. In the past it has done that job very well with factory 240gr. bullets out to 100 yards. In years past, lead semi wadcutters, more recently with modern JHP ammo.
More recently, I have added a couple 45 Colt revolvers. A Taurus Judge Public Defender Poly 45/410 which I carry in my truck within easy reach. Also a Cimarron Pistolero 4 3/4" mostly because I wanted a "cowboy" gun just for the heck of it.
I have one more big bore revolver on my short list. Very short in fact, and it's on the top. A Charter Arms Bulldog Stainless. 44 Spcl. snubbie mostly because I have always wanted one, but it would probably find a place in my CCW rotation.
One additional big bore handgun I have is a T/C Contender that I have a 10" 45-70 barrel for.

I happened across a Taurus 454 Casull with I think an 8" barrel in a LGS, this week.

That. Was. Huge!

Biggest revolver I've ever seen.

It even looked bigger to me than the S&W .500, but I didn't have them side by side to compare.

My 4's are:
Auto Ordnance 1911A1 .45acp
Beretta Stampede Inox 4 3/4 " .45 Colt
Taurus Tracker Ported 2" .44 mag.

I posted earlier as to which models I have.
I'd be interested in trying out something bigger than a .44Mag. but, would probably never purchase one. The .44Mag, when properly loaded, will take care of most every thing in the lower 48 anyway.

624nd 3" .44Spl. LHS

629-6 Classic 5"

629-4 3"

I will honestly and seriously argue that it is about more than simple bragging rights. I'll make a genuine case for -FUN-

Letting loose shots from a S&W X-frame is an experience that is unmatched by any & every .44 Magnum that I've ever handled. Mostly, from my view, it's the incredible pressure & concussion but paired up with a platform that handles the recoil incredibly well.

Since more than 95% of my handguns are purely for entertainment, a .460 Magnum S&W X-frame whips on any .44 Mag or .45 Colt I'll likely ever come across.

44 Mag is about as big as I go. Anything bigger hurts and I don't need to develop carpal tunnel at my age.

I do have a 45 LC cylinder for the Ruger Old Army though.

I will honestly and seriously argue that it is about more than simple bragging rights. I'll make a genuine case for -FUN-

I'll second that. I bet that most .500 S&W owners have them for the experience and fun. Bragging is about fulfiling a need to impress people. I've often seen it in people who have confidence or self-image issues.

I don't believe everyone who buys a >44 has those issues. I do believe most enjoy the power of big-bores.

I initially bought my .44 Mag because the .357 I'd hoped to buy had gone already and it was much cheaper than normal. It was a case of "What the heck. I'm walking out with a revolver today and this is what they have."
Apart from some technique teething problems, I've never looked back.

180 degrees from what you said. Your values and assumptions don't reflect my ideas at all.

I would prefer to shoot with NOBODY watching. Trying to impress or one-up others isn't on my "to-do" list. Maybe it's cause the guy who DOESN'T have one is watching and making ignorant assumptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back