Tell me about your big-bore choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My big bore?
MY MOTHER IN LAW!:D
Seriously tho I have 3 .45 Colt, 3 41 mags, & 2 .44 mags. Never saw the need for anything more powerful as the largest game I hunt is whitetail and they are not hard to take with any well placed shot.
I've even taken 2 with the .45 auto.
I've shot the .454 and it's a great ctg. but still not even close to being necessary to take deer.
I limit my hunting range with a handgun to 50 yards which I feel is sensible.
I once had a Super Redhawk and T/C contender with scopes but they were
cumbersome, way to big & heavy and boardered on being sawed off rifles.

I carried the 454 in a few handguns and they tended to be heavy and more power than necessary for mainly whitetail and black bear. I went back to my first love, a S&W 6" 29/629 44mag open sights. Well balanced and easy to carry. I dont even loaded them hot any more and have found a mid power 240 XTP to be quite a killer dropping them in their tracks when doing my part. I have killed a lot of deer with the handgun from 10mm to 454 but found the 44mag THE most versatile. FYI,...The 45LC would be my second choice for deer.

I chose the .45 Colt / .454 Casull / .460 S&W family over the .44 mag / .445 supermag family.

Redhawk 4.2" .45 Colt
Raging Bull 6" .454 Casull

Love those revolvers - both built like tanks.

Mystro: You made that shot at 175 yards with a revolver using open sights?
WOW! :eek: That is totally awsome.
I'm a pretty fair shot with a handgun but wouldn't even attempt a shot
at that distance.

While I don't currently have one in the collection, I'll go with the classic .44 Magnum. It's plenty of medicine for anything short of bear and even passable medicine for bear (as someone else in the thread mentioned, pretty much any handgun against bear means you are in a bad situation).

I like the cartridge because it's a well-established, easily found cartridge with high power but still manageable enough recoil for repeat shots.

.. pretty much any handgun against bear means you are in a bad situation

I'd like to point out that this is quite true, in a defensive situation. Hunting bear with a handgun is quite a different matter, and there are many handguns and calibers that can cleanly take bear with well delivered shot(s).

George Nonte once wrote an article on "the fine art of taking bear with a .45 auto". Pedersen took an enormous polar bear with a .44 Magnum. These are much different situations than having a bear some through your tent while you are sleeping, or surprising you as you walk about. Much different.

so I still have the 5.5" 44 and 7.5" 357

I recognized that a properly loaded 44 Magnum or 45 Colt was all virtually anyone would ever need.

I bought 5.5" Redhawks in all four chamberings for ammo development.
I sold the 45 Colt version (and the 357 and 41) afterwards, because I learned through experience that nothing I'll ever face NEEDS more than a well-loaded 44 Mag.

IF I were to HUNT grizzlie or polar bear, or elephant or cape buffalo, I MIGHT investigate a 460 or 500 S&W (or the like), but I ain't.

Not to hijack, but where do we consider big bore to begin? Anything bigger than .40? Does that include .40? Because now all of sudden that includes a whole lot of guns.

Just looking to clarify before I reply to the OP.

Personally, I would have said .44 if asked initially. Since then perhaps .41 Mag, but to be honest, if you want to tells us about a gun you enjoy in .40, then go ahead!

It's all good stuff!!
:D

44 AMP said:
I'd like to point out that this is quite true, in a defensive situation. Hunting bear with a handgun is quite a different matter, and there are many handguns and calibers that can cleanly take bear with well delivered shot(s).

Yep, quite true. That's what I meant but I should have been clearer.

I think you were probably looking for the big boomers, but this is the closest I have. A Ruger BH, 45 colt

And here's one in .40 cal that I really do enjoy. S&W 310 night guard.

And here's a couple in .41 cal. Probably not what you were thinking but still cool nonetheless.

And here's a couple in 44 spcl

I enjoy shooting. I once shot a 5" barrel S&W 460V. I enjoyed that about as much as I enjoy full house .44 magnum rounds in the S&W 329PD. So I have pretty much decided that .44 magnum is my personal upper limit. Full house loads with the Desert Eagle, or the S&W 629 Classic. .44 Specials in the light weight S&W 329PD.

Tell me about your big-bore choices.

attachment.php

629-1 with stag and Tyler T, El Paso 1942 holster, Buck Akonua knife, and .44 SWC ammo.

Do I need to say more?

Deaf

My only revolver is a Ruger 7½" Stainless Redhawk, which I fell in love with back when it came out in the 70s. I bought one in the mid-80s and loved it just as much as I thought I would. It has eaten everything from low 180s to 300s over the years, until I just didn't have much use for something that big, even though I never really did, other than fun. Still to this day, I find it the most attractive .44 magnum ever made, though the Dan Wessons and the Colt Anacondas give it a run for it's money. Safe queen now, for many years, and the largest of bores, save for a .45-70 T/C Contender, which was a total mistake. Also own 2 10mms, but don't really consider them big-bores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back