Tell me about .35 Remington

I consider all of them to be excellent tools for what they are. Neither of the three is what I would consider for a round to fire where long open country might be involved. I always thought that if I could get a barrel for my 742 remington in .35 whelen it would be the ultimate woods gun for the northeast where you might hunt moose or bear in short ranges.

Well, it's popular with me!!!!!!! My list of 35s:

- Winchester model 70 FW, barreled to 358 Win.

- Remington model 7600, 35 Whelen

- Remington model 7600, 35 Rem. This one is tricked out all tactical with an AR style collapsible stock and XS sight systems tactical peep with front post. Designated bad weather gun.

- Remington model 14, circa 1928 with an original Lyman R14 tang sight. Just got this one last fall and it has not scored a white tail by my hand yet

I shot my very first deer, a doe in 1975, with a borrowed Marlin 336 in 35 Remington.

Within 100 yards, I've never seen a deer be able to tell the difference between getting hit with a 35 Remington and my .35 Whelen. The 35 rem has been called "The hammer of Thor" in some circles and for good reason. You do your part, it puts'em down.

briandg said:
I always thought that if I could get a barrel for my 742 remington in .35 whelen it would be the ultimate woods gun for the northeast where you might hunt moose or bear in short ranges.

If your 742 is currently a .30-06, then simply have the barrel rebored...

Same magazines and bolt face...

I believe the cost is $245 at JES Reboring...

"The most important thing to remember is that the .358 bore has never been a popular item, never in the history of cartridge development. Only a few numbers were actually designed, very few reached any great popularity, and generally speaking, they are all now defunct or running at very low production."

Yep. Sad but true.

The second most popular .35 caliber cartridge in the United States (behind the .35 Remington) was likely the .351 Winchester Self Loading, and its popularity was primarily due to police forces taking a liking to the rifle.

It's predecessor cartridge, the .35 WSL, was a monumental flop.

Yep it's a 150 yds cartridge (just like the .30-30 if we're being honest), but it's 200 gr bullet does better on deer. I've hunted with a Marlin .35 for 35+ years, killed better than a dozen deer with one and not one ran farther than 50 yds. Hit in the slats, the 35's a through and through cartridge leaving a good blood trail for a short trail up.

Exit holes with Remington's Core Lock 200 gr RN are over an inch with chest cavity placement. Penetration is not a problem, nor is bullet break up. I also like and use RCBS cast 200 gr FP at 210 gr, a FP well worth trying, and every bit the equal to the Remington, Speer, Sierra and Federal 200 grainers.

Accuracy runs 2" or a bit less at 100 yds with a 2.5x scope mounted on my 336. If you get a Marlin, check out Marlin Owners forum for specifics on accurizing any 336. In my case I loosened the front fore end band and groups were cut in half. The 336, like the Winchester 94, is a wonderful deer gun...nestles right down in a gloved hand due to its narrow receiver. Even with a low power scope mounted, it's far better toting over hill and dale than ANY bolt action.

Peep sights are a good bet on any lever gun, and the Winchesters and Marlins in this caliber are well suited to its use. Accuracy, with a good gun/muzzle crown, can be relied on at 2" at 100 yds. (Even with my 72 yo eyes doing the steering). Light, easy to carry, & ideally suited to a saddle scabbard, the lever gun is a joy to use.

Back to the .35 Remington cartridge. Brass can be a problem, and nearly impossible to make from another cartridge. Buy it when you find it. Currently it's available as loaded Remington rounds here in Louisville. But Cabelas recently had Hornady 50 round count bags of brass available. I've laid 400 aside for use in my Marlin just in case.

Bullets: the best in factory rounds are Remington 200 gr Core Locks. Not currently sold as reloading components, but still available as loaded ammunition. They'll open up into perfect mushrooms at most any velocity over say 1500 fps all the way out to 150 yds. Hornady's 180 gr FP's are also good and can be loaded to over 2100 fps in my carbine. They have a good following for deer hunting and open up at carbine muzzle velocities (~2000 fps). The Hornday 220 gr FP is just too hard and can't be launched fast enough to open from a 20" carbine. Sierra's 200 gr RN is also good, equal in accuracy to the Remington, tho a bit harder, read; slower to expand on impact. In cast bullets, RCBS's 200 gr FP is excellent for accuracy but killing power, is due to through and through penetration, expansion being limited. It's a great bullet when cast from an alloy of 50-50 lead to wheel weights & gas checked.

All in all, the .35 is the perfect deer rifle for woods or timber hunting. Range is limited to 150 yds...but in all honesty, in 60 years of deer hunting, over variety of terrain in Washington state, Colorado, Texas, Connecticut, and Kentucky, of the more than 60-70 deer I've taken in those varied covers, I've killed exactly 2 at more than 150 yds...it just doesn't happen for me. And for that experience, the .35 is perfect. Scope it if you want (and have a 336 Marlin, or mount a peep on the Winchester or Marlin), and enjoy deer hunting as it was meant to be.

HTH's Rod

Back