Technical question about 9mm ammo fired out of a revolver

Thanks for all the helpful info form everyone, your post was probably the most helpful.

Does Hornady use crimp grooves for 9mm in their Critical Defense/Critical Duty line as well as XTP?
hornady has used canellures on almost all of their bullets from the early years, it's based on their interlock trademark. Critical duty appears to have them. You'll note that the critical rounds are identical xtp bullets that have the plugs in the tips. This obviously serves a couple purposes, and they probably do enhance performance.

American gunner uses unplated brass without plugs, it's going to deliver practically identical performance to the more costly rounds. It's a good place to start. At grafs it will add up to a bit over sixty cents a round including shipping if you buy 5-10 boxes, I'm sure that somewhere you can do better. Hope everything works out.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/28156

@Screwball Where did you come up with a 642-1 in 9mm. I have one but I had a 940 cylinder installed in a 642 to make it. Standard catalog of S&W calls it a 942.

to the OP, I have not had a bullet pull from crimp in all of the time I have shot my 942, an aluminum framed 642 with a 940 cylinder.

@Screwball Where did you come up with a 642-1 in 9mm. I have one but I had a 940 cylinder installed in a 642 to make it. Standard catalog of S&W calls it a 942.

Similar, but with a Pinnacle converted cylinder...

I know the background of the 942... there was one made, and Wiley Clapp told S&W it would never sell. Sorry, but your 642 with a 940 cylinder might be close to a 942, however it is not one. It is a converted 642. Your gun, as does mine, is marked 642 and .38 +P on the barrel.

That one prototype gun, if ever put into the market, would be worth a little bit of money over one that a private person put together.

I have a Pinnacle converted 9mm S&W 360J, with it's scandium frame it weighs about 13oz. I haven't experienced crimp jump with any of the 9mm or .38 Super ammo I've shot through it over the last 8+ years. No problems with the Taurus 905 I owned for a while either, I'm not sure why some people seem to be having issues with the Rugers.

I was going to post the photo of the S&W AirLite PD revolver with the warning about not using bullets of less than 124-grain, but that warning may apply more to cylinder erosion than recoil causing OAL length changes.

Personally, if you have these concerns I suggest you reconsider going to a .38 with plus Ps and be done with it.

You've already planted enough doubt in your own mind to just forget about it.

I tend to agree. I like 9mm but I don't like uphill battles. So I keep life easy. I use 9mm in semi-automatics and .38 special in revolvers. The +p gets a little closer to 9mm in power. To exceed it, the OP could do double-duty with a .357 magnum. For less recoil and a little more capacity while still saying on the plus side of 9mm, go with .327 Federal. With any of those choices, the issue generally disappears.

I tend to agree. I like 9mm but I don't like uphill battles. So I keep life easy. I use 9mm in semi-automatics and .38 special in revolvers. The +p gets a little closer to 9mm in power. To exceed it, the OP could do double-duty with a .357 magnum. For less recoil and a little more capacity while still saying on the plus side of 9mm, go with .327 Federal. With any of those choices, the issue generally disappears.
Unless your someone who doesn't like semis but still wants to utilize the superior 9mm with faster loading moonclips in a revolver. It's nice to have options if your a wheelgunner, especially at prices 9mm is going for vs. .38special. I still have my revolvers in .38special so it's not like I'm stuck with 9mm.

My questions have already been answered satisfactorily anyway. Hornady uses crimp groves in all their 9mm and I will choose something on the lighter end of the spectrum for defensive use in my revolver. There are also several target ammo makes that work well in a 9mm revolver using moonclips.

My question is which 9mm bullet is less likely to loosen under force of recoil out of a revolver, the lighter ones or the heavier ones?
Have you had a problem with this? Have you tried to make it happen? If not, why make up things to worry about? If you have, what have you found that alleviated the issue? IME, "bullet creep" or "bullet jump" happens with reloaded ammo with heavy bullets with light crimps. Factory ammo generally has enough crimp to avoid this. If you are super worried because this is a carry piece, use military 9mm ammo, it is sealed in place to avoid bullet movement in submachine guns.

Why in the name of God do you believe that a .38 with plus p cold do everything a nine can do without also possibly cause bullet jump? It will be larger, heavier, weaker, and not necessarily stronger on the grip than a crimped xtp..

Why in the name of God do you believe that a .38 with plus p cold do everything a nine can do without also possibly cause bullet jump? It will be larger, heavier, weaker, and not necessarily stronger on the grip than a crimped xtp..
Who are you referring to? I never said any such thing.

The 9mm is certainly superior to the .38special +P, that is without question. It is also considerably cheaper to shoot. I wanted and purchased a revolver that can shoot them so I'm asking questions.

I am asking because there have been known cases of 9mm bullets loosening from their cases when fired from a revolver and causing the cylinder to lock. This seems to be more likely to happen with a load originally intended for use in a semi-auto then for a revolver. It is one of the reasons why Luckygunner from Youtube, who everyone seems to revere these days, doesn't trust a revolver that shoots 9mm when he was asked the question.

I'm not convinced that it is that much of an issue as he and some others says it is but I want to avoid any chance of that happening as much as possible by choosing the right loads, so I'm asking questions. Otherwise I never would've bought a revolver in 9mm.

Last edited:
Somewhere, somebody even suggested that you go so far as to get a .357 magnum!

If you want a lightweight revolver, that isn't the way things work...I admire the .357 in duty size revolver and nine for compact.

The thing to remember during the discussion is that the men who designed these revolvers tested them scientifically. Testing the exact amount of force needed to yank a bullet from a case. Testing the exact amount of force that a revolver exerts. Now if those engineers found a problem, they would not have released it. Remember the post I made earlier, I believe that the nine can be successfully used. I said that you should be successful with factory loads. I agree, the nine is superior to the plus p in small bullet loads.

Last week, a bullet crept forward on me, an unbelievable amount, not even visible, and locked up the cylinder. The oal was listed to be literally level with cylinder head and crimp groove was there.

I'm one who believes that it can work, I agree that you can certainly use it far more cheaply. I never see .38 brass layng around at the ranges.

Weaker?
Lets compare apples to apples in the .38 +P to nine comparison.
From one manufacturer, Buffalo Bore and their hottest load for each:
9mm +P out of a Sig with 2.9" barrel was 1024 fps with 147 grain = 340 ft. # ME
.38 spl +P out of an LCRx with 3" barrel was 1087 with 158 grain = 400 ft. # ME

Hardly weaker!
Sure, maybe if you compare a glock 17 to a snubby 1 7/8 LCR, but even then that is apples to oranges.
9mm +P out of a Glock 17 maybe gets 1100 fps with 147 grain = 394 ft. # ME
.38 spl +P out of Ruger LCR gives 1024 with 158 grain = 360 ft. # ME

I'm one who believes that it can work, I agree that you can certainly use it far more cheaply. I never see .38 brass layng around at the ranges.

Ha, if you shoot at any public indoor range, you are bound to lose some 9mm, but shooting .38 you can retain 100% of your brass if that's what you mean by shooting cheaper.

For revolvers, I prefer .38 special to 9mm
As shown above in my example, the power factor is nill.
I like the ability to pull out a SD round and insert a snake round while at the ranch, but then put in a heavy 180 grain HC for walking in the woods. Doing that with a 9mm moon clip isn't as easy.

Yes, it's nice to have the same ammo for semi and revolver, but personally I dislike moon clips for carry, too bulky.
Second, I like that .38 special and .357 are more interchangeable, so having .357 revolvers as well, the .38 special platform works better. When ever possible, I will choose the .357 version of the gun over a strictly .38 special +P version, but sometimes this is not possible.

9mm

have a charter arms pitbull 9mm with over 1200 rds thru it and have not experienced any bullet set back or jump! that's including my assorted reloads and factory loads

Weaker?
Lets compare apples to apples in the .38 +P to nine comparison.
From one manufacturer, Buffalo Bore and their hottest load for each:
9mm +P out of a Sig with 2.9" barrel was 1024 fps with 147 grain = 340 ft. # ME
.38 spl +P out of an LCRx with 3" barrel was 1087 with 158 grain = 400 ft. # ME

Hardly weaker!
Sure, maybe if you compare a glock 17 to a snubby 1 7/8 LCR, but even then that is apples to oranges.
9mm +P out of a Glock 17 maybe gets 1100 fps with 147 grain = 394 ft. # ME
.38 spl +P out of Ruger LCR gives 1024 with 158 grain = 360 ft. # ME
I'm not sure where you are getting your stats from. Buffalo Bore is known for hot loads and may be the exception but it's generally not true that .38special +P is the equal of 9mm. In Luckygunners extensive tests, only two .38special +P rounds out of three dozen or so cracked the 1000 fps mark, and one of those was a +P+ and both were out of a 4" barrel. Compare that with his 9mm tests where many rounds well exceeded the 1000fps mark and that's just standard 9mm, not +P. http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolver-ballistics-test/

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm

Couple that with the fact that 9mm is cheaper and easier to find then .38special+P and it would seem a good idea to have a revolver chambered for 9mm if you happen to like revolvers.

Also, the moonclips for a 9mm are not that bulky. 9mm is considerably shorter then .38special and are far less bulky then carrying loaded speed loaders with .38special. If the clips are made well then it's unlikely they will bend if carried loose in a side pocket. They are generally faster loading too, depending on the person.

I like revolvers and so naturally I like .38special. I carry .38special all the time and I'm not knocking the load it's just that I like to have options and I want something else in my carry rotation with a little more oomph and that is cheaper to shoot.

My only concern with 9mm in a revolver was crimp jump, but I'm satisfied with the answers and research I got to choose the right loads for my gun.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where you are getting your stats from.

Stats are from Buffalo Bore's website from their testing and from my own personal Chrono tests which confirm the accuracy of Buffalo bore's claims.
1027 fps 38 special +P out of 1 7/8" barrel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh5hfPhfudU

and this thread:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589317

Lucky gunner never tested BB loads, so it looks like he was afraid of showing their results because he is in the business of selling other brands of ammo.
I checked out his tests, and NONE of the 147 grain 9mm got over 1000, where as EVERY 158 grain BB load I tested got over 1000 no matter what the barrel length.

While I do carry speedloaders from time to time, and the bulk is similar to a moon clip, I prefer to carry in a flat speed strip in my watch pocket and nothing can compare to that in minimal bulk.

Last edited:
Lucky gunner never tested BB loads, so it looks like he was afraid of showing their results because he is in the business of selling other brands of ammo.
Luckygunner tested close to 40 loads in .38special+P and 9mm, with many well known and some hard to find law enforcement loads. I think that's more then adequate to come to a conclusion about .38Special+P vs. 9mm. Just because he didn't test some boutique brand that strives to make the hottest loads possible, some that are probably dangerous like BB's .380acp+P and shouldn't be sold, doesn't negate the results.

While I do carry speedloaders from time to time, and the bulk is similar to a moon clip, I prefer to carry in a flat speed strip in my watch pocket and nothing can compare to that in minimal bulk.
I totally disagree. In no way is a loaded 9mm moonclip anywhere near as heavy or bulky as a .38special speed loader. There is nothing wrong with speed strips but even those can take up more over all space in a pocket except that they are flat, which makes sitting with them possible if wearing jeans. I could probably carry more ammo via loaded 9mm moonclips in a side cargo pocket then with .38special speed strips. I only carry speed strips when wearing pants with no side pockets and a T-shirt and like you, in the watch fob pocket where I can usually fit only one of them while still be able to access it quickly.

But none of this is the main point of my OP. If I were only concerned with capacity I would just carry a semi-auto. I am, however, somewhat concerned about capacity and a revolver in 9mm offers more of that plus faster loading.

Last edited:
Luckygunner tested close to 40 loads in .38special+P and 9mm, with many well known and some hard to find law enforcement loads. I think that's more then adequate to come to a conclusion about .38Special+P vs. 9mm. Just because he didn't test some boutique brand that strives to make the hottest loads possible, some that are probably dangerous like BB's .380acp+P and shouldn't be sold, doesn't negate the results.

What no double tap, corbon or Buffalobore tests?I checked out his tests, and NONE of the 147 grain 9mm got over 1000, where as EVERY 158 grain BB load I tested got over 1000 no matter what the barrel length.
You can't go by speed alone. Many of the claimed over 1000 fps of the 9 mm are lightweight bullets compared to any 158 grain tests!

I suggest you conduct you own tests if you don't believe mine.

You can't go by speed alone. Many of the claimed over 1000 fps of the 9 mm are lightweight bullets compared to any 158 grain tests!
Speed is important. Speed matters. Speed kills armor. I've seen demonstrations of 9mm penetrating barriers that .45acp could not. It's why light fast loads like .22mag can possibly penetrate 3A body armor while the larger, heavier ones can't (see Paul Harrell's body armor tests).

You're right, speed isn't the whole story but it doesn't hurt. Sometimes a heavier bullet might be better depending on the gun and the situation. But if I were shooting at someone behind a barrier or that was wearing body armor I would rather have a light/fast 9mm or .40S&W over a slow/heavy .38special+P or .45acp.

Last edited:
No I agree, I like speed too!
What I meant is that in looking at the speed results, one has to consider the bullet weight if it is being compared to another load.
in other words, 1000 fps on a 115 grain is not the same as 1000 fps on a 158 grain.

Like I said, NONE of his 9mm test with 147 grain achieved over 1000 fps threshold.

Back