Taurus Judge or S&W Governor

One big difference between the S&W and the Taurus. if Smith & Wesson would have brought out the idea before Taurus it would have been the greatest innovation in self defense wrapons in the twenty first century!

My Wife bought me a 4 inch highly polished SS Judge for Xmas many years ago. I thought all it needed was fuzzy dice and med flaps with lights when I opened the box. But I had to act like I just loved it, because She was so proud of Her self on what She had picked out for me, with out my help. And I will be darned if I didn`t learn to really like to shoot and enjoy my Judge. I like it a lot and I carry it a lot when I am out for long walks, along the river just messing around. I have shot a lot of small animals and snakes, two Coyotes and one Deer with it over the years. I have also had a bunch of people comment on my pathetic choice in fire arms. But the same people will stand in line to shoot it, till I run out of ammo for it. ((( IMHO ))) my old long barreled shinny Taurus Judge is a hoot to shoot. And my Old Judge is not for sale because my Wife would never forgive me, if I did.
ken

One big difference between the S&W and the Taurus. if Smith & Wesson would have brought out the idea before Taurus it would have been the greatest innovation in self defense wrapons in the twenty first century!

IIRC, there was a shotgun revolver that preceded the Judge ..... don't remember who made it, but it flopped ...... maybe needed Taurus' marketing firm ......

If you don't mind the transfer bar breaking and down time while it gets replaced by Taurus, go for it. Taurus is aware of the issue, but won't change the metallurgy or anything else that will improve that part's longevity.

I will pick S&W for its superior materials and design. The lockwork on Taurus is trash compared to S&W.

If you don't mind the transfer bar breaking and down time while it gets replaced by Taurus, go for it
When does that happen? Just want yo be ready. Must be somewhere beyond the thousand or so rounds of a combination of 45 Colt. and 410 that I have fired through mine.

I've also read on the internet that, in rare cases, Ruger transfer bars have been known to break. That acknowledged, I have several Ruger revolvers and countless hammer blows to the transfer bars over the past several decades have never caused one to break or even fracture. But, as 4V50 Gary opined, shoot any of them enough and they will break.

dgludwig - I've had a Ruger Security Six for over thirty years and it has had thousands through it (my original duty sidearm and went through the academy with it). It's still on its original transfer bar. Difference? Superior Ruger engineering and metallurgy.

I really like my Judge. It's nothing fancy - not a Raging Judge or a Public Defender - but a nice shooting gun. I use PDX1 ammo in it and keep it on my nightstand. I even added a rail and light. Supposedly, the rail will come loose after a number of rounds, but as long as it will hold up for the 5 I plan to use during a home invasion, I'm happy.

p2937242046-4.jpg

p3733233041-4.jpg

dgludwig - I've had a Ruger Security Six for over thirty years and it has had thousands through it (my original duty sidearm and went through the academy with it). It's still on its original transfer bar. Difference? Superior Ruger engineering and metallurgy.
That was back when those parts weren't MIM. They're MIM now.

Or in the case of a a Taurus, Bainbridge Georgia!
Was going to say the same, but I'm not really sure what the situation is with that new facility. Taurus is saying they'll be manufacturing guns, but is that machining parts and assembling guns or assembling guns from parts made in Brazil?

It does appear tho that repairs will be done there tho, so hopefully what that means is the horror stories of Taurus warranty repairs will go away.

It does appear tho that repairs will be done there tho, so hopefully what that means is the horror stories of Taurus warranty repairs will go away.
Ive always looked at that by trying to buy things that have a good record of NOT needing the companys CS department for repairs or anything.

The fact you hear so many complaints about Taurus's CS department alone, I would think would be an indicator to steer clear.

But, apparently, those tantalizing cheap prices keep sucking people in.

those tantalizing cheap prices keep sucking people in.

Most everything else being equal, nothing wrong by being "sucked in" by "tantalizing cheap prices". :) I've bought plenty of good guns over the years because I couldn't pass up a good deal. I look forward to doing more of the same in the future.

Most everything else being equal, nothing wrong by being "sucked in" by "tantalizing cheap prices". :) I've bought plenty of good guns over the years because I couldn't pass up a good deal. I look forward to doing more of the same in the future.
Yea, me too.

But its like those low bids you see come in, that are WAY, WAY off, when everyone else is pretty close, that really give you pause. Really makes you wonder what they missed or left out. ;)

I like a good deal as much as the next guy, as long as it is a "good deal". :)

Ive always looked at that by trying to buy things that have a good record of NOT needing the companys CS department for repairs or anything.

The fact you hear so many complaints about Taurus's CS department alone, I would think would be an indicator to steer clear.

But, apparently, those tantalizing cheap prices keep sucking people in.
Could make the same argument for Ruger's current revolver QC issues, but it seems most people give them a pass because of their customer service.

My point was hopefully the CS issues with Taurus will be improved thanks in part to this new facility.

Not saying that the existence of said new facility will spur me to buy their 7 shot .357/9mm revolver, but I'm not writing it off either.

TruthTellers said:
Was going to say the same, but I'm not really sure what the situation is with that new facility. Taurus is saying they'll be manufacturing guns, but is that machining parts and assembling guns or assembling guns from parts made in Brazil?

I know that I'm posting in a thread that's over a month old, but Taurus USA (a.k.a. Taurus International) does indeed produce firearms domestically, namely those which cannot be imported into the United States thanks to the 1968 Gun Control Act.

In addition, if I understand correctly, while Taurus International is the US importer of firearms by Forjas Taurus of Brazil, as of a few years ago Taurus International is managed and operated separately, and the factory was moved from Florida to Georgia to improve their manufacturing capabilities in order to function more independently of Forjas Taurus. The new factory will supposedly be manufacturing a variety of Taurus firearms domestically, not to mention repairing firearms domestically, thus resulting in faster service/repair of firearms.

Back