Taurus Judge or S&W Governor

Hi

I'm trying to decide between these two 410/45LC revolvers. Do you guys have any recommendations or thoughts?

Gary

The S&W has more versatility and a higher capacity.

However, I’m not sure about accuracy out of an awkward system in 45 Colt or 45 ACP.

Out of a Snubnosed revolver, I’m not sure of the utility in a 410 gun.

If it’s a snake killer you want, you can do a 357 Magnum or 38 Special with snake shot. Even a 45 LC, 410 Bond Arms derringer could do the trick.

Why focus on a multipurpose gun that is just mediocre?

I love my Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull which can shoot a 45 Colt but I only shoot Buffalo Bore 360 grain cast lead bullets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks everyone. My main point is to just get a novelty plinking gun. No real serious purpose. just something to have fun with

Gary

This may help with what to expect with 45Colt and 45acp. I shot this when I got home the day I bought the Governor. Top group was three cylinders full at 10 yards DAO 45Colt. The lower group is the same, but 45acp.

enhance

That was first bush, and things have tightened a little more with both now as I've gotten used to it. You can see the acp group was already getting tighter.

This was the #4's at 5 yards. I was mistaken when I said 10 earlier. POA was the bridge of the nose, center of the sunglasses.

enhance

I've got a pic of the buck loads too somewhere. I'll post it up when I find it.

ETA: heres three rounds of the Federal 4 piece 000 buck load at 10 yards.....

enhance

You can see they tend to want to string vertically.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. My main point is to just get a novelty plinking gun. No real serious purpose. just something to have fun with
The the Judge is the obvious choice. Why pay over twice as much just for a "name"?

I was faced with this same decision once. Ultimately, I chose the Taurus Judge Magnum because I wanted the ability to shoot 3" shells and it was cheaper than the Governor.

I've had the Judge for over 2 years now and it has never given me any trouble. One bit of advice that I can give you is that if you decide to go with the Judge, then get it in Stainless Steel, my brother has a matte black Judge and ended up having to Duracoat it in less than a year because whatever finish Taurus is using just isn't very durable, nor is it particularly resistant to corrosion because when my brother took the grips off his Judge to Duracoat it he round a bit of rust. (Oh, and ignore anyone who says that Taurus doesn't really use Stainless Steel, it's a load of nonsense. My Judge is indeed Stainless Steel, not just a silver finish.)

Gary
With this being known now, I highly recommend the Taurus Judge. Check out the Public Defender before committing to one tho, you might just like the Public Defender.

Why pay over twice as much just for a "name"?
For me, the name of the maker was a big part of the decision. Taurus has such a sketchy rep, both in quality and customer service, I would, and regularly do, pay more for something else.

And to be honest here, the Taurus Judge that comes closest to what the Governor is, the Raging Judge, is only $40 less in price when new, not half the price. ;)

For me, the name of the maker was a big part of the decision. Taurus has such a sketchy rep, both in quality and customer service,
but they do seem to sell.

How well? How "sketchy"?
How many do you spe ulate have been sold by Taurus. 1,000? 10,000? 100,000?
How many have had problems? 10%? 2%. .01%? .001%?
I can say that I have hear of any. Although I am sure, like any product produced in the numbers that Taurus sells, there have been a few.

How well? How "sketchy"?
I can say that I have hear of any. Although I am sure, like any product produced in the numbers that Taurus sells, there have been a few.

Food for thought: Does their popularity reflect on the product's quality and/or utility?

....... Or is it indicative of the good effect their full court press marketing campaign had on a market that was uninformed, uninquisitive, bored, and had spare cash?

How well? How "sketchy"?
I don’t speculate...not really caring enough. My comment is based only upon a conversation with a couple people I know who are retailers. They say the guns do not stay on the shelf long at all. We did not discuss actual quantities, or length of time, or if there were any orders for them.

I have owned the judge, It was a fairly fun gun to shoot, colt ammo was not at all accurate.
the birdshot was awful as far as pattern goes, just a big ol donut at any range,
buckshot wasnt horrid, but not great.
Slugs tho, holy cow that thing would put .410 slugs anywhere you wanted them, just incredible really. I enventually traded it off for something more fun.

I eventually picked up a Gov. basically just so I could shoot .45 acp, as well as everything else.
so far .45 acp shoots pretty dang well, in fact well enough for most self defense scenarios.
the slugs shoot ok, again, they'd do in a pinch
the buckshot really does well, alot better than id have quessed, stay with the plated handgun ammo and youll be set, the other more "gimmicky defense ammo is just a waste. especially since its just a plinker
birdshot, it is what it is, no surprise and I dont bother shooting it, way better than the judge but no snakes here id have to shoot.

over all the gov. wins out, and if plinking, the acp will get you a whole lot more bang for the buck.

I really do think its a fun gun to have around, shoots well enough to put a smile on my face.

My comment is based only upon a conversation with a couple people I know who are retailers. They say the guns do not stay on the shelf long at all.

which tell us about their market appeal but not much about anything else.

Over the years I have seen quite a few threads here on TFL telling of woes and problems with Taurus, some about quality, most about issues with repair work and times, and having to send things back multiple times.

I have also seen those kind of complaints about S&W, but much, much less often.

IF something needs warranty work, where does it go to get fixed, Massachusetts. or Brazil??? (and who's paying the shipping???)

Which do you prefer??

Since the gun being considered is a "I want one" thing (which is a PERFECTLY acceptable reason) its your call.

Over the years I gotten a number of guns, just to see what they were REALLY like, not what someone else says about them. That's a good reason, too.

Whether or not they actually are, Taurus guns seem to be hit or miss. IF you get a good one, you get a decent or even pretty good gun for the money. But if you don't, (and it seems a lot of vocal people don't) you could be in for more hassle than desired getting it repaired.

Someone (no idea who) once said "Friends don't let friends buy Taurii"

"I can't say its true, and I won't say it's not, ...but there's been talk....":D

(bonus no-prize if you can ID where that last line came from, :rolleyes:)

How well? How "sketchy"?
If youve been on internet gun boards ANY little bit, its pretty hard to believe you havent heard all the bitching about Taurus handguns. Its been pretty rampant for a long time now.

Ive had personal experience with a number of their handguns in the past, my own and those of others I was close with, and only one of them (one of mine, an old Millenium) didnt have to go back, and those that did, were not always a pleasant/good experience when dealing with Taurus.

One gun that doesnt have an issue, out of a half dozen or so, isnt real good odds.

I think the only reason they sell so many, is that they are priced to sell, and aimed at that market. Our local shops always have a bunch of them, and they seem to sell pretty quick, and then you see the same or coincidentally similar guns, on the used gun shelves not long after, and even cheaper. Makes you wonder why, or at least gives you pause.

Personally, I wont waste another cent on one of their guns, and if one were given to me, Id trade it off a first opportunity.

If youve been on internet gun boards ANY little bit, its pretty hard to believe you havent heard all the bitching about Taurus handguns. Its been pretty rampant for a long time now.
I was refer to the Judge exclusively. I have not heard of anyone having a problem with a Judge. I also take most inteweb complaints about Taurus, Hi-Point, Charter Arms, Bersa, and others with a grain of salt. They become the target of some, justified or not by some just because they don have their "approved" name.
My only personal, face to face experience with a problem Taurus, and their customer service was with a close friend. He had a Taurus revolver that was having a problem locking up. Called CS, was greeted promptly, and cordually, sent it the them, and received it back fully functioning in about three weeks.
Personally I have no experience with Taurus CS. All of mine work fine.

Food for thought: Does their popularity reflect on the product's quality and/or utility?

....... Or is it indicative of the good effect their full court press marketing campaign had on a market that was uninformed, uninquisitive, bored, and had spare cash?
That "full court press" marketing campaign was thirteen years ago! By now, those who buy a Judge are doing so with much more knowledge of the product, experience shared by friends, and fellow shooters, and a realization of their limitations.
In addition to it being just plane fun as a range toy, it does have viable uses. It is not a hand held shotgun. Patterning birdshot at ten yards is beyond it limitations. But snake shot, a use that it can easily be employed for, at a distance that a poisonous serpant would be a threat, patterns tight enough to get the job done. Even from the short barrel of a Public Defender. The popularity of the format has resulted in ammo companies making loads specifically for self defense in the 45/410 handguns.
Federal Premium 410 Gauge Personal Defense puts 4 000 buck in a group around 3" at 10 yds from my PD Poly. The .355 lead shot hits at a similar velocity as a 380, but with 4 shots for every pull of the trigger. Winchester Supreme 45 Colt will group similar at that distance, and even further.
That is the reason my PD Poly is kept in a consol vault in my truck. Then placed in a holster betwern the seat, and console. Loaded with three of the Federal Handgun 410 shells up first, foll with two of the Winchester 45 Colt rounds. I also have a speed strip of 410 #7.5, or 8 "snake shot" ready for Spring, and Summer mushroom hunts, and berry picking in areas quite common for Copperheads, and an occasional rattler.

I'd opine that their is no comparison between the quality and customer service reputations between S&W and Taurus. Go with the Smith. Rod

Back