Taurus firearm owners

Cheapshooter said:
Maybe because they are tired of seeing a brand demonized because it isn't some charished approved brand. Or because the company isn't from the United States.
Maybe because they haven't experienced any of the claimed problems, and look at the attacks as overblown. Probably overblown because of the first reason I mentioned.
I personally only have two guns from Taurus. One revolver, one semi-auto. With my experience there is no reason to not buy another.
I have personally owned three Taurus firearms, and tried to repair another. With my experience, I would never buy another Taurus, and I would never recommend that anyone else do so.

My first is a 942. I needed something in a .22 LR for use in teaching NRA Basic Pistol classes, and the Taurus was about a hundred bucks cheaper than a Charter Arms, so I bought the Taurus. That one has been okay.

Second up was a Model 63, which I bought because it was a near copy of my grandfather's Winchester 1903, the gun on which I learned to shoot. I own the 1903, but (for those who aren't familiar with it) it takes a proprietary .22 Winchester Automatic cartridge that doesn't fit any other firearm -- and for the longest time nobody made ammo for it. So I bought the Taurus. Then along came Aguila, and they started offering .22 WA. It's pricey, but I could once again shoot my grandfather''s rifle. I took both to the range one day and shot them side by side. The old Winchester made the Taurus look like a shotgun. I sold the Taurus soon after.

Third up was a .327 Magnum (I don't recall the model number). It's built on the same small frame as the 942, but there was a major difference -- it didn't work out of the box. In DA mode you couldn't pull the trigger, and in single action mode you couldn't cock the hammer. I bought it on a close-out from CDNN and I didn't trust Taurus customer service, so I decided to deal with it. The gunsmith at the range took pity on me and took it in -- he gave up. I took it home, disassembled it, and started removing casting flash from here and there throughout the frame with a set of jewelers files. After a lot of filing, assembling, testing, disassembling, more filing, more testing, and more reassembling I finally got it to where it works 100% of the time in SA mode and maybe 90% in DA mode. I didn't keep track, but I'd estimate that I put maybe 20 hours (no less) into it, and I don't know how many hours the gunsmith spent on it.

Last up, the range had a Taurus 1911 as a range rental. Something in the firing pin safety system broke. The range owner knows that 1911s are my specialty so he asked me if I could try to fix it. Sure, no problem (I thought, naively). I took it home. First clue that all was not right was that the extractor didn't come out like any other Series 80 pistol I had ever seen. I got it out, I installed a new (Colt) plunger and spring, reassembled it, and it hand cycled and passed all tests on the bench. I took it back to the range. A week later the owner told me the first person who rented it had it lock up after about five shots. The firing pin safety plunger fell half out during the recoil cycle, and the slide wouldn't close. At that point, the owner got on the phone to Taurus. Turns out their Series 80 system is proprietary, and Colt parts won't work in a Taurus 1911. (Which we had proved, conclusively.) So he asked them to send him the parts. Oh, no -- he had to send them the gun so they could install the parts. Twelve weeks later the gun came back. I believe he sold it at that point -- I know it's not in the rental case any more.

There's a reason why people say, "Friends don't let friends buy Taurus."

There are two Tauruses in my household, a Model 94 .22LR I bought for my daughter to shoot, and a TCP .380 that my wife bought for herself because she likes it.

No failures of any kind, and fit and finish is fine. The only thing I dislike about either is that the DA trigger pull on the 94 is very heavy, so I may trade it someday for a .22LR that’s easier for my daughter to shoot double-action (or a semiauto). And I actually like the TCP a bit better than Gen-1 LCP’s, though I haven’t shot a Gen-2 yet; I personally think Taurus replacing the TCP with the Spectrum was a mistake.

Both my primary pistols are S&W’s, BTW, so I’m not a “rah rah Taurus” fan by any means. But I’d certainly buy another if the price were right and it was a design I liked.
.22 revolvers triggers in double action normally are heavy, it's inherent in the function of igniting a rimfire primer. The only slight praise I have ever heard in regards to a .22 revolver's DA trigger that cost less than $800 is Charter Arms.

And for those who bought a used S&W Master K or whatever on a steal for $500 from your range buddies widow, that doesn't count.

I bought a PT111 G2C a few years ago to give it a try since I was hearing some good things and the price was right. The gun never functioned right, feeding problems with most everything I put in it. Sent back for repair, came back the same. Wound up at an LGS where I knew the owner, he figured he could make it work, so I traded it in. It was actually a nice pistol that fit my hand nicely, but completely unreliable and not really very accurate.

I know people who really like their Taurus guns, but my experience was less than desirable and I would not own another at this point. Some folks have success with them, and some don’t. Taurus service is not impressive in my opinion. I do not see any gain in bashing Taurus though...I don’t bash other people’s guns; why ruin their joy?

Did you try other ammo?
Nope - no need to. It was obvious to me it was the gun.
The way the trigger felt -- threw everything off.

I decided that Taurus just wasn't for me. I'm not knocking the brand - just saying in my hands, they aren't accurate enough for me.

I feel exactly the same way about a Ruger (D/A).

I think Taurus got what they deserved with the way they dealt with their patrons, both the loyalists and the whiners. Their problem was they screwed both with equal fervor, deciding not to do the right thing but rather mitigate damages and listen to their lawyers. When they found a safety issue with their design, they should have fixed or replaced it. When you replace something it should be of equal value. I buy a 27/4 OSS/DS for $450, don't offer to replace it with a gun you sell for $235. Another issue with Taurus is they failed to idiot proof their guns; who the hell put their weapon on safe while holding down the trigger? Their life-time warranty that they boasted has now been reneged on; it's no wonder they aren't members of our Congress. Over all though, the pieces themselves; you either got a good shooting firearm, or a dog.

Now with all the pro-American rhetoric and buy American BS spewing from many lips here, all I can say is; Remington. And now we have the pot calling the kettle black.

I shot 50 rounds through a Taurus .38 spl once...
I was really disappointed by the lack of accuracy.
The first time I shot a 38 Special snub nose revolver, I found it was very inaccurate and I thought it was the gun. Then, I learned how to shoot one and found out it was not the gun at all. I have since bought a Taurus 856 revolver that is 38 Special and a Taurus 605 that is 357 but also shoots 38 Special and they are as accurate as any short barreled semi-auto that I have shot.

I think a lot of Taurus bashing is because inexperienced people buy them because they are cheap and they blame operator error on the gun.

I think a lot of Taurus bashing is because inexperienced people buy them because they are cheap and they blame operator error on the gun.

Believe me - it wasn't the ammo & it wasn't the operator - it was - the gun.

Last edited:
I owned 6+ Taurus guns in the past now I have 5 and its a like and hate with Taurus.

an old school revolver I forgot the model number, from the 90's which is a joy to shoot.

A model 94 which I was lucky to find the last one on the shelf in late 2014 after they were stopped production. About 3,000 rounds fired. I actually owned one before this and sold it stupidly...

A G2C which has horrible accuracy, replaced sights with lakeline and no go. Aims low left about 3 inches. 500 + rounds no problems with factory 12 round magazines. Mec Gar Sig p226 had problems with feed lips, the new G3 magazines work fine (YELLOW FOLLOWERS).

A G3 which does the same horrible accuracy and low left, painful to shoot. 300 rounds fired no problems.

A Model 605 which is my snake gun. I have had about 150 rounds through it. Mix of 38 and 357. Shoots low with light grain weight, harder to find the heaver 38 loads here.

I had a PT Poly 22 SS model which was very snappy and hurt when fired. I heard of reports the frame cracking, I had key holes, got it repaired under 8 weeks and sold it.

Honestly I like the model 94 and old school the best. My G2C and G3 are beaters which I put in tool bags when I am working outside.

If I had to do it all over again, I rather have bought a CZ82 or Makarov years ago and replaced with the Taurus semi autos. I really wanted the TX22 but after problems with my G2C and G3 I doubt it. My Mark IV and M9-22lr are the most reliable semi auto 22's I have seen.

@Hal
You need to use a higher grain weight, my 605 shot low with light ammo. I was using 125/130 grains you need the 158 stuff.

Last edited:
I for the like of me cannot understand what it is with Taurus gun owners. They defend crappy firearms and even crappier customer service with a vigilance like I've never seen. Early last year I made the biggest gun buying mistake ever, getting sucked in by good reviews, cheap price and purchased two Taurus firearms. Both failed miserably (TX22 & G2C). When I complained about the guns and the company with proof to back up my claims on the Taurus gun forum I was asked to leave. Taurus owners defend that horrible company with a blindness that is similar to never Trumpers. Don't they understand that by allowing Taurus to get away with their shoddy products and I don't give a crap about you customer service they're just making it worst. Taurus gets away with it and will never correct their terrible behavior as long as their customers continue to make ridiculous excuses to support their Taurus purchase. I just don't get it. Am I missing something here?

Here's the deal. Most Taurus guns work really well. Some have problems. I have owned 2 Taurus guns in my life - a .357 revolver and a PT99 Semi-auto. The revolver was a rock-solid workhorse. The PT99 was a disaster after the locking block shattered. Also, the nickel finish on it was thin and corroded easily.

People will defend the guns that they use and abuse without problem.

Drachenstein said:
Now with all the pro-American rhetoric and buy American BS spewing from many lips here, all I can say is; Remington. And now we have the pot calling the kettle black.

Fun Fact: Remington 's current C.E.O. is Anthony Accitelli, former C.E.O. of...Wait for it...Taurus International.

I owned a pretty busy gun shop years ago, and finally gave up stocking any Taurus. Granted that some of them worked just fine, but they did have a fairly large number of problems with them....and the guns came back into my shop on a regular basis. I got tired of seeing customers come back with their firearms wanting me to return them to the factory for repairs. I finally decided no more Taurus's in stock and if someone insisted on me ordering one for them, they were told that they would have to be responsible for returning them for factory repairs.
Before this decision on my part, I would order several of one model at a time and probably end up having to return at least one of them to the factory....and often time have a really PO'd customer waiting for the gun to be returned to them. Often times the customer figured I should have refunded their money instead of sending the firearm in for warranty work.

I own several Taurus products, and have only had problems with the PT709 Slim. The extractor gave out at 500 rounds and was fixed under warranty. The rear sight screw worked itself out, and Taurus sent a replacement at no cost. I carried a PT111 as my edc when they first came out because it was the best mix of size and capacity at the time. It ran flawlessly, but was replaced by a Sig P365 when the 365 was released several years later.
Taurus serves a purpose by offering guns at an affordable price. If money were no object, I would never have owned one. When I was younger and had less money, Taurus met my needs at a price I could afford. I felt better owning a Taurus than I would have felt being without a gun while I saved up for a premium brand. Taurus is the Ramen Noodles of the gun world. I’m never gonna argue that they offer an excellent product, but they get the job done when you can’t afford anything else.

@Hal
You need to use a higher grain weight, my 605 shot low with light ammo. I was using 125/130 grains you need the 158 stuff.
I was shooting 158 grain loads.
It really had nothing to do with high/low/right/left.
It was all about how spread out the pattern was.

I own two Model 85's snubs and they have shot great. That said I have had issues with the 92 beretta copy with bad mag release. G2 9mm had cycling issues. Taurus use to have good Customer Service, but now I am not sure I would buy another one.

Regardless of manufacturer a lot of people will have polar opposite customer service reactions.

Because i could get it, nib for $270, i bought a Taurus mod 605 in .357.

I wanted a wheelie to use as a platform for learning to Totally disassemble a gun.

Of course, i lost a small part. My bad, but i went to Taurus CS chat line. From schematic i had the part number and gave it to the lady.

She came back and said i should have it in 2 days - no charge.

It arrived, i fixed the 605 and for about 18 months it has run ad good as my Smith 60 or SP101.

Those aren't excuses - just my experience.

“triplebike - Senior Member
Taurus firearm owners
I for the like of me cannot understand what it is with Taurus gun owners. They defend crappy firearms and even crappier customer service with a vigilance like I've never seen...”

Is this thread still running? What do I care what some unknown person at an unknown location with different experiences, beliefs, and circumstances doesn’t think EXACTLY like me? But, then, if we couldn’t fuss about minutiae, the internet would be a lonely place.

Taurus QC

I have owned two (2) Taurus revolvers.
My first was a second hand Model 605, 5-shot .38/.357. Firing >50 rounds of mixed .38 and .357 caused the cylinder to misalign. My second, and last, Taurus is a 692 9mm, .38/357 7-shot.
Liberty ammunition jams in the chambers of both guns.
The finishing (bluing) of both guns is sorely lacking.
The trigger pull on the 692 is so heavy I can fire it only in SA mode.
The frame was damaged before it was taken out of the box.
Both guns went back to Taurus for repair.
Taurus said the 605 was fine in ITS testing environment. Never mind the obvious finishing issue. Taurus would NOT fire the Liberty rounds; not on its suppliers’ list.
The 692 – with only a ONE YEAR warranty (vs. all others’ “lifetime” warranty) – was returned to (a) fix the finish (bare metal after <100 rounds fired), (b) lighten the trigger pull, (c) attend to the frame defect.
Taurus had the 692 for MORE THAN 3 months and kept stalling. When I demanded it return the gun, I was told “we can’t do that now.”
Bottom line: Taurus is a second rate firearm, even the simple (compared to semi-autos) revolvers.
The ONLY good thing I can say about the 692 is the soft grip makes firing .357 almost painless, although I have migrated to the easier-to-find, less expensive 9mm JHPs. (The “moon/star/stellar” clips are easy to load/unload and they make reloading the cylinder very fast.)

What do I care what some unknown person at an unknown location with different experiences, beliefs, and circumstances doesn’t think EXACTLY like me?

Ditto. I have almost no opinion to other individuals choosing to own a Taurus. I’ve never owned one but have shot several and repaired one. I’m generally not impressed with their semi-autos and have zero experience with their revolvers. To each their own for me. I don’t care if Taurus owners defend their choice of firearm if it works for them.

Back