Talk me out of it.

Lavan

I am debating whether to renew my CCW next year.
But if I do, I think I ...may... just do the .25 Beretta cuz that's all I really carry.
I have the Chief Spl on it too but it just sits in the safe due to the weight even though it doesn't weigh that much.

Qualifying with 2 guns is easy but ...why?

Oh, never mind. I'll keep the .38 on it just for kicks.

Sorry, don't talk me out of it. ;)

Not being a resident of the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia, I'm not familiar with your gun laws. Are you saying that your "CCW" (which, in Indiana, is just a License to Carry a Handgun, by the way) has to list what firearm(s) you're authorized to carry?

Mein Gott. Do you also have to have a copy of your shot record and your litter registration papers?

They make it difficult to obtain your CCW in that state and require you to register/qualify each gun you want to carry for a reason, and that is to deter people from doing so. Don't give in to those commie bastards! Renew your carry license, exercise your god given right as an American.

They make it difficult to obtain your CCW in that state and require you to register/qualify each gun you want to carry for a reason, and that is to deter people from doing so. Don't give in to those commie bastards! Renew your carry license, exercise your god given right as an American.
What he said X10!!!
My sincere condolences for living in a state with such rediculious, and repressive laws. :(:(:(

How it works in Nv.
It used to be that you had to qualify with each firearm that you carried.
Then if you qualified with any revolver you could carry any revolver.
If you qualified with any semi auto, you could carry any semi auto.
Now if you qualify with any handgun you can carry any hand gun.

I am glad that I moved out of the repressive state of Ca.

Id renew them both, but carry the .38, and look for something a little more effective to replace the Beretta.

Now if you qualify with any handgun you can carry any hand gun.
All we have to do, is walk into the Sheriffs office, give them $20, and walk out with our permit. They even have evening hours, twice a week for those of us who work through normal business hours.

California Isn't So Bad, Comrade!

A couple of years ago, I bought a little pocket pistol -- a .25acp Beretta -- at a sporting goods store. Doing both state and federal paperwork was so tiring I almost gave up. A week later I came to pick it up and tried to pick up a couple of boxes of ammo. Amazingly, I was told that I must first take the gun and secure it in my car. But that's not all! They taped the box to where I'd need a knife to cut it open; then they put it in a heavy brown paper bag, put all the receipts and copies of the paperwork in on top of it and then they carefully folded the top of the brown bag one fold at a time until gun and paperwork were fully compressed. Picking up a stapler, the sales guy put about twenty staples in the top of the package. If that weren't humiliating enough, the sales guy carried the package and accompanied me to the other side of the room, down the escalator and to the front door. Thanking me for my business, he handed me the package and told me if I still wanted the ammo, I could come back without the gun (he was very clear about that), and I could buy some.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in the freedom-loving Granite State a resident can choose to obtain a pistol & revolver permit for I believe $12 on a "shall issue" basis. It's easier than completing a Form 4473. What the permit entails is carrying concealed, and carrying a loaded pistol while in a motor vehicle. Open carry is legal for anybody 18+ and in my community is acceptable. (Nobody thinks you're there to shoot up the diner, gas station, etc.) What's better is there are no ridiculous laws restricting me from buying long guns in Vermont or Maine, and bringing them back to my home state.

Guy raped for 10 years by his priest, pushed down the stairs by his step mother, stabbed by his brother, served time for murder, armed robbery. He has been shot, stabbed, beat up, his whole life, and you want to point a .25 at him? Why?

You cannot hope to drop, stop, persuade, discourage, or ward off an angry career criminal with a pea shooter.

What, 5 rounds in your .38? That might be sufficient. Are you willing to bet your life on it?

I do not know a handgun instructor that would choose as his first choice, a small wheel gun for personal protection. A gang 10 strong and you have a wheel gun. Now what? Reload? Hope they run away if you tell them to go away? That might work.

Glock 19, IWB Desantis Mad Max holster, good gun belt, suspenders and you can carry all day, every day and it is never uncomfortable. It is comforting

Last edited:
Actually you should not only keep both handguns on the list but add as many as you possible can. Every gun owner in the PRC should do that. This is what what the gov't wants to do and likes to do, so you all should give them more paperwork than they can handle. It would overwhelm the system and they would be too busy to look for more rights to take away.

By putting the qualifying list on the permit carrier it becomes a burden and dis-incentive to own and carry guns. You can turn it around and use the system against itself and make them carry the burden. Make them do more and more paperwork. Overload the system. It is unsustainable for the gov't.

Just a thought.

Even if you don't carry, definitely renew your CCW permit, the more of them out there means the politicians will have to think just a little harder when they want to cast their votes for further restrictions on law-abiding citizens.

Myself, if the size and weight of the piece is a concern, try a .380 instead on any .25 caliber.

The .25 caliber will give you a definite advantage in the fist fight to follow, should you shoot someone with it, but it sounds like you shouldn't be fist fighting.

If the weight bothers you, I would recommend to consider either some flavor of Smith Airweight or a Ruger LCR.

You don't have to buy and maintain a different caliber stream (since you already have a .38), and the weight issue is mostly resolved. The .25 will go a few places that such a gun won't... but not many.

A .38 might do in a pinch but if I have options, I'll carry 9mm...it's never practical financially or safety wise to carry target guns....

Laura

Having owned both guns in the OP's question, I think that I'd opt for the little .38 loaded with Buffalo Bore lead semi-wadcutter hollow points (i.e., the old "Chicago load" or "FBI load"). Those would definitely give a bad guy something to think about.

But, first, I'd do my best to get the H... out of Kalifornia. :D

Back