Talk Me Out of: 35 Whelen

I was all set on getting a .35 Whelen when I was searching for my hunting rifle, I didn’t want a magnum caliber. Had it been a popular cartridge that most makers made a rifle in then I would probably own one now. But it was hard to find a current production rifle that chambers it, if not impossible. However, I came to the conclusion that it would be hard to find in some remote places, that is why I chose .30-06 instead, ammo can be found in most places and it gets the job done.

So, after all this discussion (and quite a bit more thought and research) I've come full circle. I've considered the 375 H&H, I've considered the 30-06, I've considered the 7mm Mag, I've considered the 338 Win Mag and the 338-06, I've considered the 45-70 and the 308...

And I'm back to the 35 Whelen. It just seems so properly balanced to do everything I want to do, and nothing more.

Or maybe the 358 Win... hmm...

Well, having considered the other options, you have done the mature thing. Having followed your head, you can now follow your heart.

But not the 358 Winchester. It's like the fat girl that hangs out with the hot chick. 35 Whelen is the hot chick. Aim high.

I'd agree,between the two,I'd go 35 whelen. You are unlikely to find rifles ,ammo,or components on the shelf.

Necking up 308 is the same as necking up 30-06

Building the stainless custom 358 will cost about the same as building a Whelen

You will get a little more useful range out of the Whelen.

there may be a few stainless Rem 700's in 35 Whelen out there

I almost went with a Browning BLR in .358 Win, came sooo close. Still in production too

I've actually owned two of them. They're nice guns, but I really don't love lever actions. I know that's borderline sacrilege, but I just can't get the hots for lever guns.

. I've actually owned two of them. They're nice guns, but I really don't love lever actions. I know that's borderline sacrilege, but I just can't get the hots for lever guns.
I am not a big lever fan either. I have several but hardly ever shoot them. Now that reliable semi automatics that are much more accurate than lever guns are available, I just pick up the autoloader. The AR 450 Bushmaster permanently retired my lever actions from hunting.

I went .358 Win, but if you have a hankering for a Whelen, go for it.

I have no problem with the .35 Whelen, I wouldn’t mind owing one, I just went with it’s little brother.

I wanted a big, heavy bullet, without the recoil of a magnum cartridge. The .358 does that for me, the .35 Whelen would have as well. The Whelen gets more velocity, and a bit longer range, but where I hunt with the .358, the 200-250 yards it gives me is plenty, and I got in a short action, with a shorter barrel than the used Whelen rifles I’d seen.

As for overkill with deer.............me and my family take .375 H&H, .416 Rigby, .458 Win, and a .450 double rifle Antelope, deer, and Elk hunting, and they work great (also work on rampaging squirrels and rabbits).

Last edited:
35 whelen is a great caliber. That said, I would like to suggest some choices that cover it’s shortcomings. It’s shortcomings to me are lack of available rifles, brass, bullets and ammunition. Yes, you can get or make all of those, but it will be a hunt!

9.3x62 Mauser - A relative unknown here, but Ruger is making the African model in this round, so ammo is sure to follow. Brass exists because it is more popular in Europe & Africa. Bullets are being made, but will be mail order.

375 h&h - It might be a bit much, but rifles, ammo, brass & bullets are common. You can tune your loads up and down the scale. You will always have enough rifle.

458 Win Mag- Also a pretty common caliber and load tunable from whitetails to elephant!

I would be remiss, if I didn’t point out 338 federal as a close match too with ammo & bullets as common place. Rifles are a bit rare, but available.

6.5x55 - Awesome round, but not the same kind of round. It might kill an elephant, but I will have 5-6 stopping rifles around me when I take the shot. With the 458, just shoot it, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
35 whelen is a great caliber. That said, I would like to suggest some choices that cover it’s shortcomings. It’s shortcomings to me are lack of available rifles, brass, bullets and ammunition. Yes, you can get or make all of those, but it will be a hunt!

Nathan, thanks for the great response. I think those "shortcomings" are pretty easy to overcome, except the lack of rifles. Having a custom rifle built is pricy. But the rest of those, easily overcome by the handloader.

The 375 H&H and the 9.3x62 are very temping though.

Yep, When I went to rebarrel a VZ-24 Mauser,
I considered an 8x57, a 338/06, a 35W and the 9.3x62 Mauser.

When with the 9.3x62 and glad I did.

Never had anything based on 06 that didn't shoot great. My whelen Hawkeye is similarly a great gun, and I don't think the felt recoil is as bad as that of my 45-70. Does tend to favor reloaders--but so do other 06 spawn and other 358's. I say yes.:)

Ooops--just noticed this is actual hunting results, which I can't comment on since I think it's a bit much for deer. Sorry bout that.

i,m not going to be much help as I just bought my third 35 whelen, shoot a 200 gr hornady bullet at 2600-2700 fps and quit shooting them in the ass with the whelen. the difference between the 35(.358) whelen and the 9.3x62(.366) is .oo8 and no animal shot will know the difference.

reynolds357 wrote:
I rarely got a DRT with the Whelen. Massive blood trail and sure death, but few DRT.

Yeah, now that you mentioned it - I've shot 2 deer during "primitive weapon season" borrowing a friend's single shot 35W. All ran, about 25 yds.

Bullet holes between my 9.3x62 and that 35W were similar:
bullet diameter going in
and 1-1/2" exiting.

So difference maybe the bullet, although I've never found any bullet.
I reload a 286 Nosler Partition in my 9.3
The 35W was factory 200 gr Rem CLs

Stag, I have no personal on-game experience with the 225 GK from back in my 358 Win days, but the author of ballisticstudies.com speaks quite highly of it.

(I apologize if we're not supposed to mention other sources, but I refer to his writings frequently).

IMHO there is no substitute for frontal area. On large animals I always want the bigger bullet. I don't get the current trend of 6.5s or even 6s for elk. I've shot my share of elk. I start with a 300WM at any decent range and quickly move up to 338. They can go nasty places if they aren't anchored.

I am a real fan of 35 caliber rifles. Living in Indiana, only a few years ago, the most powerful rifle allowed was a .358 WSM wildcat with the shoulder pushed way back and shortened to 1.8" case length. I had one built. It is an absolute hammer on game and throws 35 Whelen AI velocities.

Therefore, in talking you out of the 35 Whelen, the only alternative I would point you to is the 35 Sambar, which is a 300 or 325 WSM necked up to 358. I don't have numbers but it would clearly out-perform my wildcat, therefore out-perform the 35 Whelen AI. Depending on the throating, perhaps from a short action. The benefit of my wildcat is I get 35 Whelen AI performance with room to spare in a short action (!!!). I shoot the 225gr AB. It's my favorite mid-range rifle.

Back