Talk me into the 40

What I would do is go to a wrecking yard, buy a crappy car, and shoot it. I'll tell you that a pistol isn't going to make a difference despite what a bunch of people who've never done it might tell you. And, when you do shoot through window glass, the bullet goes in very wonky directions which are somewhat predictable if the car is still and you have some time to think about it.

As far as actually stopping a car itself, even a .223 or .308 is iffy at best.

I would buy whatever you shoot well and enjoy shooting because that's what you'll practice the most with.

I can't speak for every LE agency but a lot of them are going to 9s because you can carry more bullets and make faster follow-up shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been debated a million times and each time it's been shown that the difference between the handgun cartridges isn't worth the time it takes to debate.

Yet I still always read these threads.

They have been using .40 since the mid-1990s.
Ya, Looks like I was mistaken.
Wonder why I thought they was using .357sig *scratches head*

How about this viewpoint. If you have to be convinced by others to buy a .40 then what's the point? I buy what I want, not what someone convinces me to buy.

If you want a .40, for whatever reason you can justify, then go buy one. If you don't want one bad enough to justify buying it on your own then stay with you 9mm.
Oh he will..
The OP already made up his mind subconsciously.. it just hasn't fully been accepted by his conscious mind yet.

He's lusting for a .40, eventually he'll succumb to his craving and get one.. Probably within the next month.

He was just looking for someone to rationalize or justify the decision to relive him self of some of the burden of having to make the decision.
It's a foregone conclusion he will buy one.

The rise of the .40 had as much to do with USPSA's power factor requirement as anything else. Now with the three hottest divisions being 9mm biased, the .40 is fading. The actual difference between 9mm and .40S&W is minimal at best in terms of stopping threats, and both are a compromise between a knife and a long gun. :)

Barrier defeat (to stop the threat on the other side of metal, glass or drywall) is actually more easily done with some 9mm bullets. Stopping actual vehicles...not going to be fast or effective with either.

Thanks everyone for the replies!! Of course I never intended to stop a vehicle with a pistol. 3 tours between Iraq and Afghanistan have proven to me that when rounds strike things they tend to travel in the path of least resistance. I also never intended to get into a caliber war but many of you brought up some very good points. I love guns; almost anything that goes bang. I looked into the 357 Sig and it seems to be what I'm looking for. I will admit I have never shot one but I've got a kkm en route to drop in the G23. Thanks for the help everyone

Some .40 sw guns can be converted to .357 sig with literally just a barrel swap(sorry if this has already been said). Might be worth it to have both!

Read post 37 by SocialAnarchist, it sums up the OP's original questions nicely. The two pages of killing cars and caliber comparisons are indicative of how quickly these posts can move from the original topic to senseless rhetoric.
Oh yeah, did anyone notice the OP disappeared very quickly? Apparently he lost interest very rapidly.

I looked at the "car killing" merrits of each caliber as somewhat of a side topic.

I think most people realized he was not going for the engine block.

I gave answers for both scenarios, but I'll reiterate.. my primary concern would be deflection going thru the windshield.. bullets can behave weird going thru slanted safety glass and don't always go where you expect them to.

thru the side of the car door would probably be your best bet.. I don't advocate firing into a car just cause it jumped a curb, it may not be intentional (medical emergency) and killing the driver probably won't stop the car anyway.

That's assuming you can avoid hitting any bystanders you're trying to save on the busy sidewalk in the first place.

I would not trade my 9mm in for a .40 with the forethought of shooting the rogue driver of a motor vehicle.

I think the OP will end up with a .40 in any event and just wanted a nudge or validation to give in to their desire.. it'll happen either way it just would happen faster if we all say "YA man go get .40"

I keep scratching itches.

I like the 40.

I like the 357Sig

I like 9mm

Of course there are a couple of others I like also....45 acp, 357 mag/38 spcl.

I have 4 40s. Three of them (FNX 40, FNS 40 and G27) have 357 Sig barrels to be swapped in / out.

My 4th 40 is a Shield (about a week old) and I have a 9mm barrel with mag being delivered in the next couple of days. May even order a 357 sig barrel.

I might even get a Shield 45.......the "need" is there....to go along wth my other 45s

My biggest problem is that I sometimes can not make up my mind which caliber where....trucks, cars, bedside, office, sheds, etc.

I will find out about the 9mm Shield barrel, but all of the other guns so far shoot exceptionally well in 40 and 357 Sig....was even thinking of getting that 357 Sig barrel for the Shield 40.

I am crazy, especially since I built a small shooting range in my back yard. Going to go broke on ammo now.

I also have a Sig P938 9mm and it was my daily carry and "loved" until I started having problems with the safety going from fire to safe and the magazines popping out .....this after approx. 2000 rounds of shooting exceptionally well....do not trust it now and will send it to Sig. I doubt it will ever be trusted for a carry again.

If I had to carry just one caliber, it would be the 40 most likely.

It sounds like the OP really wants .357 Sig. It's basically a 9mm projectile in a necked down .40 S&W case. It combines the power of the latter with the sectional density of the former. You can probably find a conversion barrel for that Glock 23.

Then I found the Beretta PX4 Storm. Somehow Beretta tamed the .40 in this platform, and it carried just as many rounds as most of the 9mm guns available at the time. Now I could shoot the more powerful .40 S&W just as quickly and accurately as I could any 9mm pistol.

The .40 S&W is unpleasant to shoot in some firearms. The PX4 isn't one of them. It's a great and sadly overlooked firearm. Too bad nobody makes a .357 Sig barrel for it.

disseminator wrote:
Quote:

Time to start re-loading.

End Quote:

disseminator, I looked into it reloading several years ago and I might have saved enough money to go fishing more often, but the extra hobby/time of reloading would not leave me time to go fishing......I will buy the ammo......got to be good friends with the UPS driver. I also came to the conclusion that reloading for me would just be another hobby!

Did I say how much I enjoy fishing?....:D

disseminator, I looked into it reloading several years ago and I might have saved enough money to go fishing more often, but the extra hobby/time of reloading would not leave me time to go fishing......I will buy the ammo......got to be good friends with the UPS driver. I also came to the conclusion that reloading for me would just be another hobby!

Did I say how much I enjoy fishing?....

I'm not sure a person can have too many hobbies. I also love fishing. Reloading isn't for everyone, but it is a fun and informative activity that will provide you with much enjoyment when your not fishing.

;)

Back