Talk me into a .410....

Status
Not open for further replies.
But now back to the OP.
Is there anything a .410 can do better than a much bigger shot shell?

Better? Performance wise, no. But fun shooting, absolutely!
Everyone needs a 41 caliber shotgun, don't they?;)
Plus isn't it extra fun sometimes to challenge your self a bit?

Well, not as evidenced by many replys here on TFL when I first mentioned a Turkish O/U. The majority of which inferred that I should save my money, and buy a brand X, Y, or Z, even used for $1000+

My two gas guns were over that amount and they were used when I bought them.......;)
If you are a serious competitor, you'll buy the best gear for the job; and reliability and fit are paramount and that comes with high end guns. If you're just doing a little hunting or some non-competitive clays, that whatever you like will work for you.

Used a .410 for squirrel hunting in the White Mountains pine forests. Makes for an excellent choice that doesn't destroy too much meat.

I was at a skeet shoot last summer and witnessed a college kid with a .410 SXS, full mod choke, go 25 for 25. To beat all, he had never shot the gun before, someone handed it to him and said, "Try this hot shot".

He had my respect!

I know that Walmart sells a Mossburg 500 410 for around $270. Not a bad price for a decent gun. It is fixed choke but most all 410's are.

I decided a while back to go with all 20g so that I would only have to purchase one caliber ammo for all 5 of my guns. I really haven't found the 20g to be too much or too little of a gun for most scenarios.

I grew up shooting my moms savage 22-410. My first shotgun was a 12 gauge. I thought bigger is better, then I learned, a hit is a hit 12 ga or 410. Now I don't even own a 12 gauge. Its 20 or 410 weather hunting or just screwing around shooting clay birds.
I pattern it at 25 yards.
I shot a lot of grouse, Snowshoe rabbit and squirrel with that O/U.

My mom shot skeet with it.

David

All clay pigeon shooting is not Skeet, although all Skeet does involve shooting clay pigeons. I dare say if your Mom shot regulation Skeet with that gun she never got better than 17 in a round.

Kinda hard to shoot doubles with a single shot ;)

Skeet is the actual name of a particular shotgun game involving clay targets, a regulation field, etc. Backyard or "pasture" clays with a handthrower or small portable trap is something altogether different. That said, as long as folks are safe and have fun, have at it................:D

i shoot 410 out of a bond arms 410/45lc derringer, savage m42 22wmr/410 o/u, h&r single and khan folding single. my b.a. is an edc, loaded with handgun specific defense ammo. the khan folder is a nifty trunk gun, unobtrusive in a gym bag, useful in handgun-unfriendly locales. ammo is light, weight is light, recoil is light (in a long gun). 410 is the 22lr of shotguns for protection: easy to shoot, bigger rounds are better stoppers, but nobody will volunteer to stand in front of either a 410 or 22.

I have been shooting an inexpensive .410 O/U for a couple of weeks now. Just a round at the Trap range after shooting a few with the BT-99.
I don't hit many.
One of the fellows mentioned that "we break'em all the time when we shoot upstate in the back." Aha! Backyard clays....I break'em all the time there too.
In the yard, with a hand thrower or a foot thrower, I am picking up the birds at about 10 to 15 yards. and they aren't moving very fast. On the Trap range, they start at 16 yards (at 40+mph) and are probably at 30 or more by the time I shoot.
It is helpful to see folk differentiating between the generic use of "skeet" and "Trap" and the real thing.
Pete

It's not even unusual to hear people call clay birds "skeets". Especially people who don't shoot shotguns. Most pasture clay bird shooting = low house seven in skeet.
Not all card games are poker.
Not all small dogs are Chihuahuas.
Not all personal watercraft are JetSki's®.
And not all clay bird shooting is Skeet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back