Talk me into a .410....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed...if you want it and you can afford it, get what you want. I don't think a single member here would say "oh you have the money and want a new gun? Nah don't do it."

Lots to like about the 410 IMO. Light guns. Light recoil. Cheap to reload. Fun to shoot.

Lots of limitations too: light guns. Expensive factory ammo. Hard to hit with. The bore is very unforgiving and limited in range/ payload.

I have three because I don't want four but never say never. If the right deal came along I'd be all over another. Yes I reload.

It's not any more than what it is which ain't much but, it does have a place for some. An all around shotgun it ain't. Very fun all the same. Just don't expect too much from the 410 & you won't be disappointed.

Very fun all the same. Just don't expect too much from the 410 & you won't be disappointed.

And yet some friends shoot our practice FITASC parcour with theirs and they hit targets over 40 yards.............Model 42s with a full choke work well.

410s tend to be a little more quiet than larger bores. That said it still sounds like a gun. BE sure you wear hearing protection.

Is there anything a .410 can do better than a much bigger shot shell?

YES, there is one thing, provide enough gun for close range shots with the lightest practical recoil.

It is a good beginners gun, because of the recoil, and for the hit the can on the ground, its excellent for beginners.

When it comes to wingshooting, however, it is an expert's gun. VERY rare the beginner who can make good hits wingshooting with the .410. For that, a light 12ga load is much better.

Ammo is expensive, because it is a niche round. Even though there is less material in each .410 round, they don't make/sell enough to get the price break of volume production like the 12 & 20ga do.

At 14 I shot an entire box of hard earned .410 shells and only hit things that were standing still. Was quite put out. The next time, I borrowed my Grandfather's 12ga, and even though it split my lip the first shot, I hit several flying birds that day, and became a 12ga fan ever since. I ignored the .410 for decades.

I have a new appreciation for it now, both as a long gun, and in the Contender pistol. Excellent pest gun a real rat wrecker in the barnyard, and without the recoil of a 12.

It is an excellent round, within its limitations, just don't expect more than it can give and you will not be disappointed.

as i posted,i have killed quite a few rabbits with the 410 shotgun with 11/16 oz #6. i hunt heavy brairs and my shots are 25yrds or closer at sitting-hopping and sometines running rabbits. other gages would also work, but the rabbits would be full of shot most times. the 410 is a special use shotgun, use it with in its limitations and it makes a good hunting shotgun. eastbank.

You can dump an entire box of ammo in your jacket pocket while hunting.

You can do that with a 12ga, too! You just need bigger pockets!

Of course, it does make you lean a little....:D

Post #16/eastbank,
I would LOVE to find one of those 870/28ga guns. Mighty pricey now. But, Lordy, that would be nice. What a perfect shotgun!

the ones i bought at wallyworld were the 870 express,s,. the 410 is full choke and the 28ga is modified. with the 28ga loaded with one oz of #6,s its a 30-35 yard rabbit killing machine, i have killed quite a few ringnecks over dogs with it also with that load. eastbank.

There's just something special about those little shotshells. The first shotgun I could call my own, when I was a kid, was a Stevens 59 bolt 410. I recently found one to replace my long gone nostalgic first shotgun. But also added a 500 Mossberg 410 just because I thought it was cool. Very glad to have both of them.
But one warning, next you will want a 28ga. to add to the collection.

28s are very fun, especially a nice O/U or SxS on a scaled gun frame. But when I discovered reloading 3/4oz reloads for 12s and 20s, I sold my 28s as a few of my 20s weigh the same.

Yeah Fit, got the bug to get a O/U about the same time as the bug for a 28ga. Found a pretty good deal on a Tristar 28 built on a scaled to gauge frame.
Nothing fancy, and I'm sure I would shunned from any club with it. But it feels great, shoots great, and looks pretty darned cool to me. It does everything my informal, occasional uses require.:D

Is there anything a .410 can do better than a much bigger shot shell?

Well....hiking the ups and downs of North Mt.(of which there are plenty) by my home in PA....in, around, through and sometimes under the huckleberries....is a lot less of a task with a little gun that weighs less than 5lbs than with a pump gun that weighs seven. (seven ain't bad though).

Not at all; the fact that you're shooting a 410 or 28b gets you all the respect -
^^I would believe this to be true.^^
Well, not as evidenced by many replys here on TFL when I first mentioned a Turkish O/U. The majority of which inferred that I should save my money, and buy a brand X, Y, or Z, even used for $1000+ :eek::D
But the bottom line....I didn't, and am delighted with my Tristar.:D
Besides, I'm immeasurably closer to a ham & swiis club than any trap & skeet club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back