taking new gun to range first time- how many rounds?

I take 400 rounds with me to the range. If I am having a bad day and not focusing, I will shoot 50 then leave. I hate wasting amo. If I am in the groove and having fun, I will shoot all 400 rounds.

I check to see if it is getting hot if so I start shoot one of my other guns! I do NOT like getting one to hot so I will take a hand full so I can have some good time. A bout 1000 rounds in fall and spring & 500 in the summer. I do reload for all my guns.

if your gun can go through 500 rds with zero malfunctions, I would consider that to be a reliable firearm, and also make sure the sights are the proper adjustment on paper targets

Since the 'range' is 25 yds from our deck, I take a box of whatever it is that I've just bought. Most days, here on the farm, I'll shoot a cpl magazines or cylinders through whatever is on my belt. It's a joy to have a setup like this for a die-hard shooter like myself, (as well as a wife who knows just how much I enjoy my daily powder burning).

But, a new gun, with all the excitement and anticipation, usually engenders a full box to get used to the trigger, and test reliability. While I'm a dedicated cast bullet shooter, I 'break in' a new (or new to me) gun with 100+ jacketed bullets...handloads, almost exclusively, to smooth the leade, & forcing cone et. al.

Rod

Back