taking new gun to range first time- how many rounds?

Since it is a "new gun" (to me), I usually take 100 to 150 rounds. All depends on if it is a semi or a evolver and what caliber it is. Lot's of recoil and I might do 50 the first time out. When I got my first 45 Colt, I did 50 and I was ready to put it to rest for the day. 38 or similar and I could easily do 150 in order to get "acquainted" with the new one.

I usually take 100 rounds minimum for every gun I bring to the range. Be it new, new to me, or one of my old favorites.
For a gun I plan to use for CCW, 100 rounds range ammo, 40-50 rounds of what I will be carying in it.
Autoloader, or revolver. For the auto, accuracy and reliability check. For the wheel guns, mostly accuracy check.

Usually 100 or 50 minimum for a gun I've shot before. For a new gun, normally between 150-200+ rds (mixed fmj and jhp). The jhps are especially varied as I'll be testing the gun with a variety of loads if it's a semi-auto.

Depends on the gun and what else I was planning on shooting that day. Probably 100. Max of 200 if it was all I took that day. There's only so much money I want to turn into smoke in a single day.

That combination of:

Glock 40 MOS 10mm
S&W .460 magnum 5 inch barrel

would really be a sweet pair for me. Both a Glock 10mm (model 20 or 40) and the S&W .460 5 inch are guns I am very interested in.

Hope you post range reports on both guns (especially the S&W.)

P.S. Do you have any optics on the Glock?

Make sure you clean that gun before you shoot it and then shoot as much as you can afford. I don't trust any gun until I have had not less than 500 flawless rounds go down the pipe.

A typical range trip for me is in the neighborhood of 100 rounds each for three pistols. None of mine is a .460, though. Have fun!

a couple hundred rds, I always shoot targets at 7 - 8 yards to see how it shoots on paper, then fire a few mags rapid fire to test function, also test all your mags

also test several types of ammo, aluminum case, brass case, steel case, JHP defense loads, etc

it will take a couple trips to the range to test different types of ammo, maybe 150 rds a trip

Well first I hope you f/s and cleaned all the shipping oil off of it and re-lubed it up with some good gun oil & grease on the rails. Then I would put 100-200 rounds in it. Or more if your up to it. Try different types of ammo in FMJ & some H/P's if you can. Have fun and remember that not all guns like all types of ammo. Most good newer guns will shoot most anything.

I'll bring 2-300 rounds of whatever is cheap in the caliber that I bought, 20-40 of what I plan to carry in it, and anything odd I may have laying around in that caliber to see if it will still function.

Pistol calibers (I have nothing more than .44 Rem Mag.): 50-150 rounds typically.

Center fire rifle: 10-40 rounds typically for bolt action, 50-150 for semi-automatic.

Shotgun: about a box if I remember correctly.

At least a box,usually no more than four. Depends on how much fun it is.
Went to the range once intending to shoot only one mag thru one gun,
wound up shooting two boxes.

50-100 rounds is probably a good average number, but it's been as low as 5 when I was short on time, and as high as 500 or more for .22's.

Back