taking new gun to range first time- how many rounds?

Min 50, Max 250. Depends if I'm indoors (1 hr) or at outdoor range (all day) ... also depends on what else was brought to range that day. Always put 50 thru carry gun every trip even if trip is focused on other guns.

My typical range trip is 100 rounds split between a couple guns.

If the gun is new and in any way expected to run hollow point ammo I will usually run 100-200 rounds of a mix of ball, +p/NATO, and some hollow point stuff (usually what I have handy HST//Gold DOT/Old Golden Sabre/Hydrashok etc. just a couple different kinds of HP to see how she does.

For certain brands or guns that I know will require some break in (HKs, Walther PPS etc. ) I will start with 50-100 rounds of hotter or heavier ammo or both. Many 9mm HKs don't like 115 grain powder puff stuff out of the box so they either get some NATO spec stuff or +P or 147 grain stuff for a box or two before any light weight range fodder.

There's no fixed or required number. Myself, it'd depend on whether or not I have another firearm of the same chambering. If not, I'll be working up a load. The only factory ammo I buy is .22's.

150 - 200 ..../ but the round count isn't what is important.

New gun....grip might feel different, sights might be different, grip angle, etc...so I would just shoot enough to get comfortable with it.

If you're talking about a break in period....that's a whole different issue.

50-100. It depends whether Im by myself or if the better half is with me. It really depends how big the gun is too. You could shoot a 9mm all day, not so much with the bigger revolver rounds.

I am more concerned with the quality of my shooting rather than the quantity. I focus on breathing, sight picture, grip, and trigger control. As long as I get good quality range time I can fire as few as 10 rounds or as many as 50.

Take 200-250 and leave when you're no feeling it anymore. Once a gun walks out the gun store doors it's considered "used" so use it as much as you want.

Yeah always 150-200.....wait, did you say Glock 40 10mm and S&W .460 magnum???

Well maybe 20 or 30 rounds or so...:D

Shoot whatever your comfortable shooting.

One trip to the range, IMhO isn't enough to 'prove' a gun to me. A really good friend bought a new gun, cleaned it, took it to the range and it ran flawlessly. He took it home, cleaned it and next time out to the range, (with me) the gun wouldn't fire at all. No dent to the primer. Gunsmith took a look at it and turned out the plunger that is supposed to move up so the firing pin can move forward was jammed. Said a combination of preservative gunk from the factory, dirt from the first time firing it, and jusssst enough gun cleaning solvent to allow the stuff to accumulate and then harden in places it shouldn't was the culprit. The smith cleaned it up right there in the shop and the gun has been trouble free for a few thousand rounds. Odd stuff can happen.

For me its about 50. I shoot less rounds more often. I go to the range a couple times a week shooting 20-30 rounds each with a couple of different pistols.

Outside of shotguns, it's rare for me to put less then 50 rounds thru a gun I take to the range.

It's also rare for me to put more then 200 down any single gun in a day.

I'd say 100 is about avg, maybe 150

I would not shoot more thru the gun just causes it's the first time at the range.. just treat it like a normal range session, you really luv'n it and wanna shoot more then usual that's ok, but I would not turn it into "work" trying to hit a arbitrary round count.

It helps that the range I shoot at is halfway between work and home and I live 2 miles from where I work. If I had to travel, I would probably shoot more rounds less often.

Back