"Take your gun to work" Florida

Hello, and Merry Christmas..

Yes yes, I was talking about in the vehicle and that was a sidebar conversation. I would not carry it on me during work at a job that's not meant to be.

So I guess, I'm getting a 50/50 on being okay to leave it in the car and another hand is saying I'm totally screwed if I do. Especially since I'm probably being watched now about it.

Also, no...I did not stupidly dig my own grave I had made a very incorrect assumption that I could have an actualy agreement with this "fellow NRA Member" that's what he said lol...Failure. Well...I guess he was right then. Or maybe he isn't..Looks like a hit or miss to me. They MAY just be that one place where I really cannot even have it in my car. I didn't know that even existed to be honest. Total bullcrap.

Also what I have in mind, would they really search my car? Randomly? Cause they have a hunch..well more than that..That I do carry? Can they? Will they? Could they?

Also what I have in mind, would they really search my car? Randomly? Cause they have a hunch..well more than that..That I do carry? Can they? Will they? Could they?

If I remember correctly no, they cannot enter or search your car without your consent, even police need a search warrant unless they (police officer, not the property owner) see something obviously illegal in your car as bag of dope or something like that.

So, the probably cause thing isn't so black and white? Or how does that work? It's kind of a pain to keep thinking about that. I mean, I highly doubt they forgot about that heavy toned converstaion/debate already. Don't want them to build up a case on me or something. That's the only time I've ever mentioned a firearm in anyway.

The probable cause apply to criminal (or possible criminal) activity. You are not breaking law by having your legally owned firearm in your vehicle in Florida.
If you really want to get on the bottom of this situation I suggest to consult a lawyer but if I'd be you I'd just do what I and most of my colleagues do - keep it in car, out of sight and shut up about it...:)

If I remember correctly no, they cannot enter or search your car without your consent, even police need a search warrant unless they (police officer, not the property owner) see something obviously illegal in your car as bag of dope or something like that.

True, but you can be terminated for non-compliance.

In many states you do not have the state's grace to carry in your vehicle on company property. I warn all my new hires to park off property or be subject to a possible search or resign situation. I actually had to make good on that promise once, much to my dislike. No weapons were found, but a bag of pot was. I do hope TX will enhance their 2A rights in the future by extending personal rights into parking lots.

Check the link to the Florida law.

I'm pretty sure it prohibits employers from doing such searches of vehicles, except in those places of employment where security exceptions apply.

But it's always better to verify for yourself, via statutes or a consultation with a lawyer.

Bernie, I'm still not seeing where in the law criminal trespassing can be defined as possessing an item or doing something that the owner of the property doesn't want you to do. If you have been allowed onto the property, you are not trespassing until you remain there after being told to leave.

If as a condition of entry to the property, the owner asks that you follow a certain rule and you break it, then its up to the property owner to find out and ask you to leave. You are not automatically trespassing merely because you broke a condition of entry, or at least I don't see how the law can be construed to mean you are.

Constantine, I believe in reading the statutes it should be very clear that your employer CAN NOT terminate or discipline you for having a firearm in your car on company property. In addition they can not ask you if you do, or search you to find out, it is against Florida law to do so.

With that said, we live in a work at will state meaning your employer can fire you for just about any other reason they choose to name (that isn't prohibited by law), so if they find out you have a gun in your car and don't like it, they can surely just fire you and give you a B.S story about why and you would probably never be able to prove they did anything wrong.

Keep your gun in your car and keep your mouth shut about it and you wont ever have a problem.

(Sorry that I'm getting slightly off topic with this, but I believe its important that we understand exactly what you can and cant do according to the law.)

Last edited:
Just don't advertise that you have a weapon in your vehicle, and follow the laws. If they terminate you while doing so, well, sue them.

You are not automatically trespassing merely because you broke a condition of entry

Yes, you are. Here in Arizona, our trespassing statute is pretty similar to what you have in Florida, and if you get caught carrying a gun on private property where you have been given reasonable notice by the owner or lessee that it's forbidden, you will get charged with trespassing. Of course, here, it's only a misdemeanor, whereas in Florida, it's a felony.

If you decide to carry a gun at work in circumstances where you're not protected by the TYGTW law, and you have been given express notice that such is not permitted, I'd be very careful - you stand to lose a lot more than your job.

Check the link to the Florida law.

I'm pretty sure it prohibits employers from doing such searches of vehicles, except in those places of employment where security exceptions apply.

But it's always better to verify for yourself, via statutes or a consultation with a lawyer.

How do I know if those extra rare conditions apply here?

LOL @ all of you, thanks guys I really really appreciate you all responding, from my last post till now..All of you.

Well, yes I will keep quiet about it. I just wanted to make sure 100% with him but turns out he was full of ish so whatever. Thought he'd turn into an honest man. At least pull me aside I don't know. My mistake I guess....So, for some reason I feel like leaving the G27 in the car and not the G22...I don't know why...Maybe since there is a possibility?

Either way it's stupid. Nothing to do with work, before and after work I want to carry. I have been with a gun on me for years now and I'm not looking to stop something that I earned and is my right to do cause of a job that won't even "let me" keep it in the car.

So my next question....

Why would they say I can't? :confused:

If you decide to carry a gun at work in circumstances where you're not protected by the TYGTW law, and you have been given express notice that such is not permitted, I'd be very careful - you stand to lose a lot more than your job.

Agreed 100% even a 3% possibility that I could be prosecuted for carrying where I'm told not to is too much.

Thank you!

Appreciate the links a million! Basically answers my questions...So I guess I can't even keep my gun in the car while at work....Sad sad world -___-

Constantine...

... unless your hotel is in the secure area of an airport... or on Federal or other government property.... or on a school.... or someplace that handles/stores munitions and explosives...

... then what are you finding in the statutes that would nullify the "take your gun to work" statute?

AFAIK, you can keep it in your car. What have you found that says otherwise?

I just noticed that you're in Miami. That's why he told you that you can't have your gun in your car. My carry permit was lost once and a South Florida UPS office refused to notarize my request for a replacement. I asked why and was told that the opinion of himself and his office was that guns should not be legal and that they wouldn't stamp their notary seal because they are anti-gun and don't want to do anything having anything to do with firearms or firearm ownership. I was blown away, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Then it dawned on me - the southern 1/4 of Fl is very very liberal. Fwiw- I carry everywhere except places prohibited by federal or state laws. My gun goes to work with me.

MLeake and zombieslayer...

MLeake, well it's not on any of those..but check out what zombieslayer said. Could it be the same thing? If so it has nothing to do with the law then right? Just their lame personal preference?

Well, cause I don't know much about this place I just began working. What I want to know, is why would they tell me this and why would they go so far as to put it in their books upon employment under #1 of the 17 ways to get fired? Any percentage of me getting into any trouble for carrying in my darn glovebox in my car..Then sadly I'll follow...

They can't just randomly go into my car or anything... -___- hisjnunskjhnkjskhkfkj

Constantine...

... they can't go into your car unless they fall under an exception.

They can put "no guns" into the employee literature all they want. Normally, they will do this because of insurance requirements.

However, as far as your car goes, those regulations are meaningless unless the company falls under the exceptions listed in the statute.

It's up to you to read the statute and figure out if your place of employment is excepted.

The vast majority of employers CAN NOT legally stop you from keeping a weapon in your car, CAN NOT search your vehicle, and would run the risk of punitive law suits if they attempted such.

That doesn't mean their literature won't say otherwise, but I wouldn't worry about it - unless the law says they are in a special category where I do have to worry about it.

DG45 is correct in what "At will" means. I was for many years the CEO of a company with 500 employees and operations in a number of states. All of our employees were At Will which very clearly meant that at anytime and for any legal reason we could terminate any one. Which would mean that if you carried at work and we didn't like it, we could terminate you "without cause" (not that we would have). That said, we very rarely used this but it was always there and managers knew that they could generally persuade a non cooperative employee with this type of discussion.

By "legal reason" I mean that you cannot be terminated for being in a protected class (age, religion, race, etc) but it would be perfectly legal to terminate someone for having a goofy smile.

Back