Switching between handgun platforms

I tend to go with John Bianchi's "One gun, One holster, One carry".

When you carry the same gun in the same holster in the same place year after year and practice with it, there's no chance of any fumbles reaching in the wrong place, or forgetting where the safety is on todays gun, or how to release it from the holster.

I think it all lends to comfort, but many of my firearms lend to comfort but respond differently from the trigger-pull. I enjoy shooting my Dessert Eagle 1911 more than my CCW LC9s. But some times I bring one or the other for practice. Then next time I jump to the rifle range with my .556 or 45-70. Different bites for different thrill. My Beretta's never fail me in 9mm or 40. Then to my revolvers....and on...and on....Shoot often and have fun, knowing what you prefer otherwise!

I actually have another now, the g43. They're all different and I train a lot, my goal is to be able to shoot them all well. I'm changing the g43 connector because the trigger is terrible out of the box.

The culprit:

It's all good because I tune all of my guns to my liking.

Well, Chip86 and folks,

I have owned and fired a lot more guns than those few, but when I carried regularly, it was a Model 19 or a Model 36.

Everybody talks about range time. I am talking about staying alive, not playing range games.

As to cars, let me tell how I nearly died. I worked for years to the east of my home and developed the habit of stopping for gas at a station on US40 Alternate on the way home. I always pulled out of the station and turned right into the near lane. One day, I stopped for gas, pulled out of the station like always, and only by luck missed being creamed head-on by an artic coming down from Birmingham with a load of steel I-beams. I was on the A40, not 40A, but for one almost fatal instant, years of driving experience had trumped conscious knowledge. I think if habit can make one forget what country he is in, one just might forget what gun he is carrying.

Jim

I shoot all different kinds of handguns; DA/SA, DAO, SAO, revolvers, and glock. It might take me 2-3 rounds for me to remember the particular gun I'm shooting, but mixing up different handguns is fun for me. No big deal - I never quite understood why folks make an issue of this. It's not like your brain is incapable of quickly adjusting from a Colt Python to a Glock. While "muscle memory" might possibly have a tiny bit of relevance when switching from one gun to another, I assure you it's not nearly as relevant as the conscious part of your brain that learned to shoot 5 different handguns well.

Never had a huge problem switching between my revolvers and my 1911s at the range, but I bought a Beretta 92FS so that my sons would have something to play with when they were home on leave.

The "backwards operating safety" didn't give me issues, but I had to stop myself from dropping the magazine after 7 shots a few times-just so used to the 1911 that it became automatic for me to do so. The hammer dropping safety made me nervous at first, just seemed wrong to see the hammer dropping on what I knew to be a live round in the chamber, but okay. It seems like a lot of mass for a pistol of that caliber, but it works okay with no failures of any kind.

I am a big believer in practicing with what one carries or depends upon for dangerous situations, so there will be a 1911 on my hip or next to the bed. The Beretta will remain a range toy for me-just personal preference.

I will say again, and keep saying, that if you carry a gun you should stick to one gun or at least one gun type.

So since I carry and use striker fired polymer guns for home defense that means I should stop shooting anything else at the range because it might create training scars? Just as much as my guns are for protection they are for enjoyment, and life is too short to not enjoy the things I love just so I can be some elite operator with a pistol.

Last edited:
I will say again, and keep saying, that if you carry a gun you should stick to one gun or at least one gun type.

So since I carry and use striker fired polymer guns for home defense that means I should stop shooting anything else at the range because it might create training scars?

No, I think the "for carry" was implied. One gun or one type (meaning same style controls in the same places, working the same way) is an important consideration for a carry gun. Because a carry gun might need to be used in a serious hurry, without the luxury of time to remember which system it uses.

Recreational, sport shooting is a completely different matter.

If I am going to switch carry. I will go out to my range and fire a cyl or 2 .if going to a revolver . Going from a 1911 to my Kahr 9mm or a KelTec I will do the same or switching back to 1911 .

I agree with James. You carry one gun and you master it. It's very cool to own 5 or 10 different guns, but in an emergency, when lives are on the line, I'd want to depend on the one gun that I always shoot. My go to gun. There are no surprises and no ,"Holy crap I forgot what I was shooting". This ,of course, IMVHO.

Glock 26, 19, 34, various 1911s are what I carry.

Have had no problem discerning between the two just by the feel of it riding in the holster. I carry 24/7, I average 4-500 rounds per week thanks to the 550 and 3-4 IDPA matches per month.

At the range the list is much more extensive but I have always started and ended every range session with my current carry gun, usually the 26 or 19 that have identical internal setups.

I have no problem switching between the Glock and 1911s but they are a significantly different feel in the hand to me.

I've never shot the revolvers, M&Ps, Walthers, and others with the intent to carry them so I've not dedicated that kind of practice time to them.

There is a difference for sure. More of a difference if you practice IDPA or some other match type shooting. Just draw and pull the trigger isn't much of a problem unless the switch is to a 1911 and you fail to hit the safety. After a couple draws you'll remember the safety. I always take 2 or 3 different handguns to the range. This Sat. is IDPA, will shoot the revolver, haven't been practicing with it so I'll be slow on reloads but I'll shoot ok even tho I've been shooting mostly a 1911 gun in practice.
It's all fun, Life is good.

I pretty much rotate between Glocks and revolvers. I actually think the double action revolver shooting has helped me with trigger control on the Glocks.

originally posted by BoogieMan

Switching between handgun platforms
Does anyone have an issue going from a pistol to a DA revolver to a SA revolver?

Platform is just that, which means Revolver or Semi-Automatic Pistol. And therein is the problem. Two different ways of even just holding them correctly.
Firing thumb under vs. Firing thumb over and just that alone got me dizzy and worried I might have bit off more than I could chew.

So I had to rethink my entire purpose and come up with new roles for both because I carry both 24/7. (except when I shower but within arms reach) It then became far easier for me to get my mind rap around the different techniques of the 2 platforms. Most experts will tell you stick to one or the other platform and avoid the switch-a-roo. I agree, unless you can define specific rolls for them.

In my case I got around the confusion by deciding I would never ever again practice with my revolver in my dominate hand. And then only with one hand and will carry it always on the weak side. This way I don't have to think twice about my grip.

My sole purpose in carrying 2 firearms is in case my dominate hand is taken out of action. I could have gone with another revolver but was so drawn to a particular caliber because of it's sheer versatility I took the risk. It's still a work in progress but I'm getting there. Doesn't mean I would not change it, I'm at the age now where I really understand my limitations and not ashamed to face those with myself. So there is every possibility, one thing for certain is, I will never carry 2 semi-automatics. That thought/idea never gets off the ground in my head. (and I won't allow it to)

And I don't carry a gun to give myself confidence but rather as an edge, a tool. I have always avoided conflict and I always will, but as mention above when you reach a certain age your confidence level diminishes. Which I could remedy if I chose to stay home and live like a scared rat. But I really can't cause I need to walk every day and I mean walk,, not blocks but in terms of miles. Always have been a walker and now even more so because of health issues.

And the amount of low-lives out here is off the charts. When you have no jobs you turn to crime. Age old happening.
Only now we will never have the jobs loss back. So guess what, even once law abiding people have turned to crime to supplement their lives. And I'm a sitting duck out here. Situational awareness is good, but you lose that even as you age, and just when you think you got the thugs spotted they had you spotted the moment you moved into the neighborhood. I do have some what of a cushion cause the two different towns I travel through the cops got a bead on me. I don't know any of them and have never talked to any of them but they know my routes. (and I would not be surprised if some of the thugs know as well)

Bottom line is this, most of us out here will never even see it coming, there will be no real time for that great shot-placement and in my case I'm just hoping I survive the knockdown and the firearm gives me an edge to survive it.

Good luck out there people.

I don't know about shooting handguns in high stress situations, but I've got experience with hunting guns. I've never had any trouble forgetting to shuck a pump gun, or to not shuck a Remington 1100. I've never tried to shoot a third round out of a double gun, or a second out of a single shot. Never had a problem switching from a bolt rifle to a lever gun, or tried to rack a semi-auto 22. (Well, I do remember once time when I was about 13, and shooting at my first deer, I forgot I had a double when I missed with the first shot. I couldn't believe it didn't drop. I just stood there and watched him run off...BIGGEST DEER I EVER SAW!! Never thought to pull the second barrel.)

I didn't have any trouble switching from a Glock, to a Hi-Power, to a Model 19 357 yesterday at the range.

I can honestly say not a problem.But I do shoot a lot,and do a mental check-off list,so as"to know" what I'm carrying. :D

Or even going from a 1911 to a Glock style grip for that matter.
No problem with this for me. As a matter of fact my personal 3 main carries are 1911 normally, Glock 26 for biking, and Glock 29 for woods. Been that way for years.

I do not find a problem switching between individual guns or totally different platforms. But I have been shooting all my life, so I guess that makes a difference compared to someone that might have only been shooting for a year or two. Same way new drivers can get flustered in a different vehicle where experienced drivers can be comfortable in just about anything.

Agree with Mauser's post, same situation with me ...same resulting opinion. No bluff's just be proficient with what you carry today.

Back