Switched to a revolver for ccw...

Check out the 2" or 3" Kimber K6s. Lighter than a K frame, same six round capacity, and a really great trigger. Although I find them unnecessary, they will offer a model with a Hammer very soon.

I'd like to see that in 9mm without the hammer.

Check out the 2" or 3" Kimber K6s. Lighter than a K frame, same six round capacity,
...and...you get Kimber's sterling customer service! (and I truly hope it works out for you if you need it) ... Thank you, but I'll stick with a tried and true S&W M60, hammer, adj. sights and a 3" tube. YMMv, Rod

Last edited:
Quote:
Check out the 2" or 3" Kimber K6s. Lighter than a K frame, same six round capacity,

...and...you get Kimber's sterling customer service! (and I truly hope is works out for you) ... Thank you, but I'll stick with a tried and true S&W M60, hammer, adj. sights and a 3" tube. YMMv, Rod

Have to agree with Rod, although my taste runs to the P&R'd S&W Model 19's with the 2.5" barrels.

Don

Lots of gun owners are infatuated with high capacity. Facts be damned, I need seventeen rounds and a backup in an ankle holster. I do it too sometimes, but a J-frame .38 in my pocket is my go to ccw. There are no bad choices.

I decided on carrying a revolver several years ago. I carry a 642, usually in a pocket. Tried an LC9, it doesn't work in a pocket. I have a 2-1/2" 19 but I'm not into holster carry, if I was it would prolly be a lightweight Commander.

I've carried revolvers primarily since the 1980s.

My first carry revolver was a Charter Arms Off Duty .38 Special.

Carried that until I got my first S&W snub. About 1998 or so I transitioned to a Smith 042 Centennial Hammerless.

That's still my primary carry handgun.

I've also carried an S&W 19 2.5" in a shoulder holster.

I have carried semi-autos on and off, primarily a Taurus PT 22 when I need something really small. For awhile I also carried a Kahr K9.

Recently, though, I've been seriously thinking about moving my primary carry gun to a semi-auto 9mm, and the one currently at the top of that heap is the Ruger Security 9.

Anytime this topic comes up there are some who suggest that if one expects trouble or multiple attackers avoidance is the only answer, and for "normal" circumstances a 5 shot revolver is a reasonable choice. It certainly may be, but I think we can all agree that no thinking person is going into a situation where well armed attackers are likely unless there is no other option. My guess is few, if any, would do so with a 5 shot wheel gun.

My point is for most of us the likelihood of needing any gun is very small. So small that some will make the case that a gun of any sort is unnecessary. The truth is though that if a gun is needed we have no idea what to expect in number of assailants or rounds needed. In a situation where my life, the life of a loved one or someone in my charge is in jeopardy I will opt for greater round capacity.

And for the record, I enjoy my revolvers very much. If I'm stomping around in the woods I may have a. 357 or .22 on my belt. If I'm going to the mini mart I'll have a semiautomatic.

I've carried a Charter 44 Bulldog for off duty/ ccw since 1976. Although, the last 4 or 5 years I like my 2 1/2 inch Model 66 as an alternative.

I had a hang up for years that I would not buy a handgun without adjustable sights. I had no use for anything I couldn't knock a can off a fence at 50'. Now I'm the exact opposite on
CCW guns. They don't need sights to use at SD ranges, they don't have to be bullseye accurate or hold 17rds. The main thing is dependability. Buy a good top shelf proven design
and get use to it.

It took me about 3 years to get over carrying Pistols. Went back to Revolvers to carry. IMHO, revolvers almost always go bang & even though you get 5 or 6 or 7 shots, I feel very strongly that carrying a revolver is the way to go for me. I presently have 2 revolvers. One is a 327 in magnum LCR Ruger & the other is EAA 2" 357 in magnum revolver. In a few days i'll be adding to my revolvers. I bought a 1966 model Colt Python 357 in magnum revolver that's 99% mint and very lightly used from a single owner. My original carry was a 1966 Python as AuxLEO in 1970. Enjoy your new revolvers.

I've carried revolvers primarily since the 1980s.

My first carry revolver was a Charter Arms Off Duty .38 Special.

Carried that until I got my first S&W snub. About 1998 or so I transitioned to a Smith 042 Centennial Hammerless.

That's still my primary carry handgun.

I've also carried an S&W 19 2.5" in a shoulder holster.

I have carried semi-autos on and off, primarily a Taurus PT 22 when I need something really small. For awhile I also carried a Kahr K9.

Recently, though, I've been seriously thinking about moving my primary carry gun to a semi-auto 9mm, and the one currently at the top of that heap is the Ruger Security 9.
I made a transition from my snubbies to the small micro 380s available today. Modern 380 ammo is quite different than what was available three or four decades ago and actually performs pretty close to what the 38 Special ammo I carried in my snubbies did.

The deciding factor was that the new micro 380s are still smaller than even the smallest regularly available 9mm and hold at least one and often two or three rounds more than my "J" frames. With some modern 380 ammo I found I could place several rounds on target quickly and accurately and most importantly, as reliably as with any of my snubbies.

Of the ones I've tested over the last year, the Remington RM380 really is the standout. Unlike Mikey it likes everything when it comes to ammo, is a super soft and controllable handgun, relatively inexpensive, easy to rack, a natural pointer that feels and shoots like my snubbies.

Currently I have four of the micro 380s and the Remington really stands way above the others.

standard.jpg

The S&W M&P Bodyguard 380 is close once I added some grip tape to allow me to grab that slim smooth slide.

medium800.jpg

standard.jpg

Then the Beretta Pico. It is very close to being perfect except it doesn't seem to like wide mouth HPs. That's a minor issue since in 380 I generally prefer ball type ammo. I did cut off a little of the stock magazine finger rest.

standard.jpg

Coming up a far far far distant last place in my Ruger LCP. It's okay but just a Rube Goldberg solution to a nonexistent problem.

medium800.jpg

I've owned and carried three revolvers, and all were good for their roles:

1. Ruger Super Single Six, starting around age 16, on private property. Was a good kicking around and pest control gun. Usually had my .22 rifle with me, though, and the Single Six didn't get used as often as it might have otherwise. It's amazing what a German shepherd, Australian shepherd, and golden retriever can kick up on an old farm.

2. Smith and Wesson M19-3, pinned and recessed. Probably the most beautiful handgun I ever owned. I carried it occasionally in place of, or in addition to, my wonder nine I had at the time. Being young, I traded it off. I still miss it.

3. Rossi J-frame copy. Nice lil thing. Traded it off when I got into 1911s. Carried it discretely at times, and at other times, as a backup to a full-size gun. Another one I wish I had back. The poor reputation of Rossi didn't seem to carry over to this one.

Regards,
Josh

2. Smith and Wesson M19-3, pinned and recessed. Probably the most beautiful handgun I ever owned. I carried it occasionally in place of, or in addition to, my wonder nine I had at the time. Being young, I traded it off. I still miss it.

A beautiful hand gun , I agree

Congrats! I am too moving away from semi-autos after being tired of no matter what I was doing I kept shooting lower left. Rented a GP100 6 inch with 38/357 and I was dead center with it in a 1-3 inch groups. I am in my 30s and took a bite into the tacti-cool stuff but realized that is just a fallacy and prefer things manually

Lots of articles talk about how much harder snubs are to shoot accurately than semi autos....

I must be odd, because the opposite is true for me, that's why I made the switch, I found out that I can shoot the wheel gun faster and more accurately.

And it is not a lack of practice with the semi autos, I have fired many thousands of rounds out of a few Glock and Springfield Armory pistols... G36, G32, G19, G40, XD 45 full size, XD 45 compact, XDS 45 are the ones I've owned and/or carried.... There are a few others I've rented.

It all comes down to the trigger... I just can't master the mushy striker fired trigger to the degree that I can others.

I could shoot a pretty mean bullseye match with 1911, or a revolver (even double action)... But not a striker fired pistol.

I honestly just picked up a revolver and "took to it like a fish to water" as the saying goes... It just works, for me at least.

When weather and wardrobe permit, I carry a double-stack semi-auto. I love my revolvers but I'm still swayed by by arguments like "15-17 versus 5-7". Of course, weather and wardrobe don't always permit. So the rest of the time, I carry an LCR 327. It's the best balance of power, capacity, and ease of shooting that will comfortably fit in my pocket. :)

Lots of articles talk about how much harder snubs are to shoot accurately than semi autos....
A lot depends upon the gun. Triggers on many of today's snubbies are routinely bad. Triggers on short-barreled semi-autos tend to be better, though not always. For example I have a SW modern J-frame that is fairly difficult to shoot because of the trigger but I shoot my Ruger LCR snubby moreaccurately because of the trigger. I shoot almost all my semi-autos fairly well, in large part due to their triggers. The one exception is my first gen Ruger LCP, which is about as accurate in my hands as a weather forecast 30 days in advance.

Back