Switched to a revolver for ccw...

Have recently bought 2 revolvers---a 2.25in SP101 and a 4in GP100 and am really liking them.

I just don't see them taking the place of my new 15 shot M&P compact-----other than woods carry when I'm on my summer camping trips.

Congrats on the new SP101 and your new-found appreciation for wheel guns! My very first gun was a SP101 2.25" .357 and I still own it. The SP101 is my EDC. I've purchased a few semi autos with holsters in order to replace the SP101 for more rounds, but in the end I find I like the SP101 better than anything else I've tried.

So, I'm right there with you. I used to carry it at 1:00 as well, but after I bought a leather OWB DeSantis holster, with a thumb-break snap retainer, I now carry at 3:00. I find it the most comfortable carry solution for me and with the snap retainer it is very secure.

Crazy thing is I'm shooting the SP101 way better than the GP100.

I have the rubber Hogue grip on the SP which I think helps out a bit----but the stock Hogue on the GP I think is hindering me---I'm thinking about going to the classic Ruger grip or the non finger groove Hogue.

If you're talking to me... Yes... I'm carrying it appendix (1 o'clock) most of the time. I will sometimes carry it at the 3:30 position (fishing, hiking, etc.)

After carrying a 10mm Kimber Eclipse 1911 for years, I switched to a S&W 69 4" L-Frame 5-shot .44mag for a couple of years. Then, about 6 months or so ago, I switched again to a S&W 629 5" full-underlug "Classic" N-Frame .44mag, and that's pretty clearly going to be my permanent carry from here on out. I carry it every day, from pajamas-off until pajamas-on, in a homemade under-the-shirt cloth vertical shoulder holster. Conceals very well and is very comfortable. I shoot it in SA mode, cocking the hammer immediately after firing with my weak-hand thumb ... DA mode would only be used if a bad guy was right on top of me, and I couldn't miss.

I'm kinda leaning the same way. Shelved my CZ P10c w/ RMR, this morning, and left the house with my SP101. Honestly, I think an auto makes more sense as a defensive handgun, but I make all sorts of decisions that don't make any sense :D

I grew up with a SS Single Six in 22 (both cylinders) and, even with DA's, something just feels "right" about a wheel gun. I've been issued both revolvers and autos, I typically shoot a (service size) revolver better than an auto. Shoot perfect quals with the auto, but not as consistently or as easily. Heck, the auto that I have shot the best (not counting1911's) had a trigger that felt like a tuned revolver.

I just seem to like them better and I'm at that age where that is ALL the justification I need :) Plus I normally have a Kalashnikov and a butt load of spare mags in the car so, as long as a couple speed loaders can get me back to my trunk, I should be aight.

Check out the 2" or 3" Kimber K6s. Lighter than a K frame, same six round capacity, and a really great trigger. Although I find them unnecessary, they will offer a model with a Hammer very soon.
20170303-164429-zpsntoxoge2.jpg

I purchased two revolvers in the last year and sometimes carry them --- a Ruger LCR in 9mm and a SW M19 Carry Comp. The Carry Comp has a 3-inch barrel. I guess I have a thing about three-inch barrels. I have accumulated five of them.

Honestly, I think an auto makes more sense as a defensive handgun...

It depends...

For normal everyday carry, I believe a 5-8 shot pistol is plenty and then some.

But.... If, for whatever reason, I was expecting trouble that might include more than 2-3 bad guys or a prolonged gun fight, I'd pack the Glock 32 that day.

It becomes a personal choice, for years I was ready for the running gun fight scenario...the sacrifice was comfort...I'm getting old and achy so I've reevaluated things and decided to make the change to the wheel gun.

Last edited:
Quote:A handgun is only used to give you time to get to your shotgun or your rifle.

This may true inside your home or business, but on a daily basis out shopping and doing normal stuff in public, it’s so unrealistic it’s not funny.

Quote:A handgun is only used to give you time to get to your shotgun or your rifle.

This may true inside your home or business, but on a daily basis out shopping and doing normal stuff in public, it’s so unrealistic it’s not funny.
My general rule is - "One Hour". If I am driving more than 1 hour from home, I have a rifle and several mags. The logic is that I want to go back home and, the farther I am from it, the more difficult that task might be.

So yea, running up to the redbox or library, NOPE there is no rifle for my handgun to get me back to.

And I am pretty sure if you stop for a snack or a burger, you don’t tote said rifle into the establishment. A firearm on my belt trumps long gun in the car or back at the house. Now at my house, I have an 8 shot 12 gauge in the bedroom.........

Got the longer holster... Its made for a Glock 17... But is as close as I could find to a proper appendix carry holster for the 3 inch SP101.

Works pretty good, carries nice and low.

High Noon Mr. Softy for a Glock 17, with the retention screw removed.... about $39 shipping and all.

Like Black Wolf, I grew up with a Single Six. I still prefer revolvers, though I also shoot and sometimes carry semi-autos.

My most frequent carry is my LCR 38 special in the cargo pocket of my "dad" shorts.

My 44 special Bulldog feels good in my coat pocket when it's cold outside. :)

I too just recently started carrying a revolver a 686 3" revolver, hold 7 rounds, just like my 1911 I used to carry. No reason other than I wanted something new
0BqZlj7.jpg

Last edited:
a K frame snub with a round but is a great ccw gun. the model 64 or model 10 in such a configuration will handle the stoutest load for that caliber with ease and no abuse to the shooter. they are surprisingly easy to shoot well.

Back