Switched to a revolver for ccw...

Ridgerunner665

I'm a slow learner I guess... I've been carrying for 25 years, and only just now I've found what I've been looking for the whole time.

A good old fashioned wheel gun.

I'm not sure exactly what took me so long, but I'm blaming it mostly on "capacity envy".

I never cared for revolvers much, never shot them much, just really had no interest in them. Then a few months ago I found a like new Ruger Blackhawk 41 mag in the gun store, it was produced in 1998 but is still in like new condition... I brought it home...it taught me that I can shoot revolvers a lot better than I ever could a semi-auto, and I do OK with semi-auto pistols.

I like the recoil, the solid but not painful "thump"... Makes me smile every time... Revolver recoil is like revolver triggers, clean and crisp... Glock recoil is like Glock triggers, "spongy".

It was months in the making, but the big Ruger single action convinced me to buy a double action for carry. I started researching Ruger and S&W, I eventually settled on a Ruger SP101 3 inch 357 mag.

I had to have all steel because I shoot a lot, I appreciate the weight and its advantages in a 357 revolver, and if I run out of ammo I can hit them over the head with it.

A fun fact... At 32 ounces loaded the 3 inch SP101 is 4 ounces lighter than my Glock 32... Its no pocket gun to be sure, but I don't pocket carry anyway.

I mostly carry appendix (1 o'clock) , and the SP101 carries WAAAAAAY better than the Glock 32 in that position, on me at least. It just disappears under a t-shirt, completely. There is no beavertail poking me when I bend over either.

I did have some trouble finding an appendix holster for it, I ended up using a Glock 32 holster that it just happens to fit decently well with the retention screw removed... A High Noon Mr. Softy holster (~$32)...it is a little short to fully cover the barrel so I ordered one for a Glock 17, longer and covers the barrel, but otherwise the same.

I also ordered a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 for it, I should get it sometime before I qualify for social security (quoted 20 weeks)...the last belt I got from them took 8 months, but it was worth the wait, that was 11 years ago and I wore that belt every single day up until I outgrew it last year... I tried to say the belt shrunk, but nobody believed me.

I shoot the Ruger like I've been shooting them all my life... Even double action there is no low and left to struggle with. It just knows where I want them and puts them right in there....I guess its just a better fit.

I let my wife shoot it... She likes it too... She sent me a text earlier today being all sweet and thanking me for her anniversary present (I'm out of town working, truck driver)... I replied "You're welcome, I'm glad you like it.... What did I get you?"

Apparently I bought her a S&W 640 for our 17th anniversary.... Nothing says "I love you" like a new gun, right?

Anyway... We're all wheel gun crazy now... Not sure what took us so long, but at least we finally got here.

Last edited:
If you are just getting into carry revolvers, there are some guns you need to check out.

-A classic 3" K-frame. No better all around gun. Get it in .357mag and it has all that .357 goodness and .38spl to .357mag versatility. The 3" handles better than than just about anything. The K-frame is big and heavy enough to shoot well at the range, and the 3" barrel and smaller medium frame is good for carry. Of course, it is also a standard 6 shooter. I predict you'll be addicted like the rest of us 3" K-frame fans.

-A larger medium frame 3" revolver (GP100 or S&W 686). They are sturdier guns that can take any .357mag load and shoot pretty much forever. The 686 can hold 7 rounds. They are a tad heavy for CCW, but a good holster and belt combo can help take care of that.

-Kimber K6. I love that it is barely bigger than a 640 and holds 6 rounds. I rarely read anyone who owns one complaining about them. It is most definitely on my want list. The main question for me is 2" or 3"...

-Get yourself a good holster for your Blackhawk. A full sized revolver can be carried (especially in the winter when you probably wear more layers). I actually have a couple holsters for my .45LC S&W 625MG and sometimes carry it when I'm in a carry state. Nothing like 6 rounds of big bore goodness to make you feel well protected.

Congratulations on the new gun, and adding a new side to the addiction, ah, collection.

Congratulations!

I started out with revolvers back in the early 70s, spent most of my adult years shooting semi-autos, and in recent times have reverted back to shooting mostly revolvers for the sheer pleasure and accuracy they deliver.

Enjoy!

BOARHUNTER

Letting a friend of mine shoot one of my K38's cost him $600. Like you, he quickly found out he shot a revolver better than a pistol, so he went out and bought one. I've been carrying my 2.5 inch P&R Model 19 from the get go. Welcome to the club.

Don

The Blackhawk is a hunting gun... I carry it in a Diamond D Guides Choice chest holster... Handgun hunting, that's what started this whole chain of events.

I handled every make and model of what I consider to be a "carryable" revolver, rented and shot most of them too... The S&W's are nice for sure, but the 3 inch SP101 was the one for me.

Looks like maybe my wife is gonna be the S&W aficionado in our household.

But yes.... If I'm gonna have a wheel gun for carry it'll be a 3 inch barrel.

I'm surprised there are so few models of them available.

Last edited:
I only carry and shoot Snub Revolvers these days. I went through the semi-auto and high cap thing. They never did it for me like Revolvers. I pick Two a day for carry.

Attachments

• 6F9A71A8-2A4B-4BEF-B7F7-F2D4AD938313.jpeg
    6F9A71A8-2A4B-4BEF-B7F7-F2D4AD938313.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 209
I have a Super Blackhawk hunter 44 mag and a Single six 22 mag. I recently bought a S&W Governor as my nightstand gun and put my Glock 45 and Benelli M4 in the safe. My carries are a Glock 43 or a Sig P238. I've been thinking about going double action for my carry also.

I understand the decision. I was used to small and full size autos, but my go to carry these days is a S&W J-frame .38 snub. It is so versatile, no matter where I carry the gun, it feels right. I do still carry a pocket auto now and then though.

I pick Two a day for carry.

Nice handguns, five S&W J-frames all with different grips. Or is that a Taurus on top?

I've heard that "variety is the spice of life," but is there one grip that you favor over the rest?

Last edited:
J-Frame Model 649 and 1 speed loader. I carry 38 spl instead of 357 for faster more accurate for me follow up shots if needed

Enjoy carrying it. While I like revolvers, I personally prefer a DA/SA revolver. Speed of trigger pull and ease of reloading comes to mind. SA revolvers are too slow to reload for me.

The Blackhawk is a hunting gun... I carry it in a Diamond D Guides Choice chest holster... Handgun hunting, that's what started this whole chain of events.

I handled every make and model of what I consider to be a "carryable" revolver, rented and shot most of them too... The S&W's are nice for sure, but the 3 inch SP101 was the one for me.

Looks like maybe my wife is gonna be the S&W aficionado in our household.

But yes.... If I'm gonna have a wheel gun for carry it'll be a 3 inch barrel.

I'm surprised there are so few models of them available.
Just a suggestion.......

image.png

I think switching to revolvers would be pretty cool. And I’m thinking about going that way some time in the future.

I really want to get a 66 for carry, but am thinking starting with a rimefire might be good practice. I just have a hard time wrapping my head around the prices S&W charges for thier rimfire revolvers.

I'm a slow learner I guess... I've been carrying for 25 years, and only just now I've found what I've been looking for the whole time.

A good old fashioned wheel gun.

I'm not sure exactly what took me so long, but I'm blaming it mostly on "capacity envy".

I never cared for revolvers much, never shot them much, just really had no interest in them. Then a few months ago I found a like new Ruger Blackhawk 41 mag in the gun store, it was produced in 1998 but is still in like new condition... I brought it home...it taught me that I can shoot revolvers a lot better than I ever could a semi-auto, and I do OK with semi-auto pistols.

I like the recoil, the solid but not painful "thump"... Makes me smile every time... Revolver recoil is like revolver triggers, clean and crisp... Glock recoil is like Glock triggers, "spongy".

It was months in the making, but the big Ruger single action convinced me to buy a double action for carry. I started researching Ruger and S&W, I eventually settled on a Ruger SP101 3 inch 357 mag.

I had to have all steel because I shoot a lot, I appreciate the weight and its advantages in a 357 revolver, and if I run out of ammo I can hit them over the head with it.

A fun fact... At 32 ounces loaded the 3 inch SP101 is 4 ounces lighter than my Glock 32... Its no pocket gun to be sure, but I don't pocket carry anyway.

I mostly carry appendix (1 o'clock) , and the SP101 carries WAAAAAAY better than the Glock 32 in that position, on me at least. It just disappears under a t-shirt, completely. There is no beavertail poking me when I bend over either.

I did have some trouble finding an appendix holster for it, I ended up using a Glock 32 holster that it just happens to fit decently well with the retention screw removed... A High Noon Mr. Softy holster (~$32)...it is a little short to fully cover the barrel so I ordered one for a Glock 17, longer and covers the barrel, but otherwise the same.

I also ordered a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 for it, I should get it sometime before I qualify for social security (quoted 20 weeks)...the last belt I got from them took 8 months, but it was worth the wait, that was 11 years ago and I wore that belt every single day up until I outgrew it last year... I tried to say the belt shrunk, but nobody believed me.

I shoot the Ruger like I've been shooting them all my life... Even double action there is no low and left to struggle with. It just knows where I want them and puts them right in there....I guess its just a better fit.

I let my wife shoot it... She likes it too... She sent me a text earlier today being all sweet and thanking me for her anniversary present (I'm out of town working, truck driver)... I replied "You're welcome, I'm glad you like it.... What did I get you?"

Apparently I bought her a S&W 640 for our 17th anniversary.... Nothing says "I love you" like a new gun, right?

Anyway... We're all wheel gun crazy now... Not sure what took us so long, but at least we finally got here.
The 3" SP101 is one of the best defensive handguns ever made.
Especially the gutter sight model, and if bobbed.... it's the cats meow.

Great for beginners all the way past seasoned shooters, it's outstanding.
The more you practice DA, you'll find that you become a better semi-auto shooter.

Enjoy :D

PS
Don't ever try a 38 LCR for CCW.....you'll be sucked into the dark side forever

Back