Supplies are coming back

a word on bullets, if you do find some on the shelf at the old prices then don't hesitate just buy them. I just read where copper prices have went up 20% since pre covid prices. I can believe that, a friend told me that lumber prices had went up because of covid and the houses he is building are 10 -15% more than what they were a year ago.

Just got a notification from Midway that Leverevolution is instock, limit 2 pounds though and I just bought a 8 pounder of Accurate 2520 yesterday from PV. Think I will pass but if anyone needs some...

edit Staball 6.5 also

Last edited:
Northern California

I poked my head into my LGS last week. The place was cleaned out - basically nothing. Every bit as bad as the big shortage of 2013 - maybe worse.

Sure feels good to be completely insulated from it because I slowly stocked up over the recent years.

Sure feels good to be completely insulated from it because I slowly stocked up over the recent years.

I'm with you, Nick. Now is not the time to be searching and buying at inflated prices.

Don

Now is not the time to be searching and buying at inflated prices.
No doubt about that. I've told this story manyo'time, but in '13, I was caught flat-footed. I got to a time in my life when I could get back into loading/shooting right at the Sandy Hook incident.

I found myself standing in a very long line every Wed morning at my local Sportsman's Wearhouse; just to get whatever small - rationed - component I could possibly find a use for.

I'll spare the details of the saga. My point here is that I was very pleased with Sportsmen's Warehouse for not inflating their prices. There were price increases, but only because their wholesale costs increased. So thumb's up to them. I'll never forget that.

You and me as well Nick.

Sandy Hook changed my perspective on my hobby. I remember scrounging for reloading supplies....for months. This time around I was ready.

I guess some interpret my OP to think I meant are back to normal while I meant things are starting to be available if you are quick enough to get notice. Some backorders for bullets are also being filled. Fair enough. In the interest of not getting anyone's hopes up I will just stop relaying any more of the instock notifications I get. There is nothing left that I need for a the next year or so therefore no need to look, backorder or sign up for notifications for my own benefit

edit - I can understand the frustration of going to a link and finding it gone. Only thing I have seen/posted that lasted more than a few hours was the Norma 202. It was up for a couple of days

By the way Sandy Hook was mild compared to 08/09 shortage. It was as this one. Took over two years for complete normalcy to return

Last edited:
hounddawg, I agree with you. Remington coming back on line has helped and I am seeing ammo in stock at most of the LGS. Bullets and powder as well, but not to fully stocked by any stretch.

Still looking for a few reloading components myself, but I also sold off 5 guns and 2500 rounds of factory ammo. Used that to pick up a few things I wanted and still have one rifle on order from the proceeds.

Prices of ammo and powder are falling on GB. I was looking for some 20g slugs and just kept at it until I won an auction on some and paid under 2019 prices.

Primers are the hard one and I don't see that getting better anytime soon. Might get worse due to politics.

I'll spare the details of the saga. My point here is that I was very pleased with Sportsmen's Warehouse for not inflating their prices. There were price increases, but only because their wholesale costs increased. So thumb's up to them. I'll never forget that.

I too am grateful to Sportsman's for their adherence to not just prices but bringing in 5 (Alliant and R17) and 8 lbs containers of power at normal prices (not to mention primers)

There are only two LGS that have anything in large containers and were limited choice wise at the best of times.

I to scrounged powder through the first shortage and have been stocking up ever since.

Alaska is not feasible to order powder or bullets as it has to come through Canada and the fees even if they do it are insane.

This shortage has been odd in that ALL the bullets went to. Bullets are high in Anchorage and only bulk used to be Cabella. So I just order them and flat rate shipping works out to ok costs.

I was not expecting bullets to go but I got in some bulk orders early so I am good for a year on that. I scored 8 lbs of H4831 in the old long cut (one of those odd things they normally don't have any powder but it was some kind of trade) all sealed containers and shoots just fine.

I don't buy 1 lb of powder any more, I get 8 lbs and stocked up when it was there. Primer only only by the 1000 and I stocked up on those as well.

Bullets are just weird, not just the common calibers, anything that was on the shelves like 303 is swept clean.

Equally even the old beat up rifles in the LGS are gone, I think I could sell a rusted out musket for top dollar right now.

Im a fan of Sportsmans too. Too bad Bass Pro just bought them. I’m not holding my breath for Bass Pro to be as consumer friendly as Sportsmans is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im a fan of Sportsmans too. Too bad Bass Pro just bought them. I’m not holding my breath for Bass Pro to be as consumer friendly as Sportsmans is.

Sad, but true. Once Cabelas got bought, then SW, I kept it local, and Scheels.

what I can't figure is 6.5 grendel brass. I had a couple of hundred before this mess started thankfully but grendel brass is nowhere to be found. I have had 200 Starline backordered through Creedmoor sports since last October. I converted half my old stuff from 6.5 to 6 ARC.

On the same note 7.62 x 39 is impossible to find now. That makes sense for the bulk ammo berdan primed stuff for the AK crowd. I can't see the AK 47 guys using Lapua but I guess they do. There may be more 7.62 x 39 bolt guns out there than I realized. I am looking to make some 6 ARC with large primer pockets just to compare it with small primed ammo.

And five minutes after I type this I found some. Stuff is out there if you look hard enough

Last edited:
what I can't figure is 6.5 grendel brass. I had a couple of hundred before this mess started thankfully but grendel brass is nowhere to be found. I have had 200 Starline backordered through Creedmoor sports since last October. I converted half my old stuff from 6.5 to 6 ARC.

On the same note 7.62 x 39 is impossible to find now. That makes sense for the bulk ammo berdan primed stuff for the AK crowd. I can't see the AK 47 guys using Lapua but I guess they do. There may be more 7.62 x 39 bolt guns out there than I realized. I am looking to make some 6 ARC with large primer pockets just to compare it with small primed ammo.

And five minutes after I type this I found some. Stuff is out there if you look hard enough

I think the brass manufacturers have all ramped up to help meet the needs of the ammo industry. Which means they’re cranking out 223, 308, 9mm, etc and have taken the more uncommon calibers off-line for the time being.

you are probably right, I never thought about that Radny. Yet on th eother hand some of the more uncommon cartridges such as .260 Rem are easy to find

lots of powder dropped yesterday, various VV and even some IMR 4064. All gone within hours of course but drops are appearing to be more frequent.

Back