Suggestion on ceramic/plastic dirks/knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the idea of a Leatherman or Gerber tool in a belt pouch. Has lots of uses. I usually throw mine (Gerber) in my checked baggage cause of the hassles resulting from the increased security evident in recent years. Of course, sometimes when I fly I'm carrying a loaded handgun on my body -- so a Gerber tool would be less important for self-defense.

And that leads to to a mostly unrelated question: which brand+model of multi-tool would you recommend for versatility and durability? I have been shoping and the number of choices and price range are confusing...

Forget ceramic and plastic. Go get a Warren Thomas titanium. Lightweight, strong (read that practically indestructable), sharp, non-corrosive, impervious to saltwater, and non-magnetic. Makes folders, straight knives, neck knives in all sizes and shapes. Maddog Tools also makes an all titanium. Isn't that what you really had in mind? p.s. Mission knives makes an all titanium also. For edge retention make sure the carbide is incorporated along the cutting edge.

[This message has been edited by ak9 (edited December 29, 1999).]

I've got a Mad Dog Mirage Micro and Warren Thomas titanium/carbon fiber folder. The MD is 1/4 inch thick. It is quite strong. I didn't believe it would cut class and shave metal until I did it myself. It cuts through steak like a hot knife through butter. It will not shave hair off your arm but it will slice soft things very easily. Before I bought my WT, I was sceptical about its sharpness because my titanium Benchmade is practically dull. Not so. The WT is crazy sharp(sharper than a razor blade).
My suggestion is to get both types of knives.

I have extensive experience with Mad Dogs ceramics and non-metallics. First off I will state that the Mirages are unbelievably sharp; However I broke the tip off my micro doing a simple chore. I don't care what the claims are, I have relegated these knives to flesh cutting duties only, and no utility work at all. Just my opinion and experience.

I've left this thread alone for a while, but I happened to run across a Blade magazine from February '99 at work tonight. Apparently, the owner of Mad Dog knives said that they had 38% of the prying power of steel. Sorry, that's just not enough for me. For a REALLY strong knife, check out Busse Combat.

Frontsight,

You are comparing apples with (pick your favorite exotic fruit). While 38% tensile strength of 01 tool steel is not "tough" by steel standards, it is excellent considering the other specialized properties of the knife. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't we talking about non-metallic/ceramic knives on this thread?

The Busse Combat is a decent knife, but by no means the toughest. It also is not ceramic.

Tim
http://www.streetpro.com
Street Smart Professional Equipment

one point not made, i think:

the ceramic MD knives available to LEO's/Military differ from the civilian versions, if i recall correctly from their website.

The LEO version has NO metal insert, making it undetectable by magnetometers. The civilian version has a metal insert, making carrying past security mags (airport etc) difficult. fwiw.

[This message has been edited by Covert Mission (edited February 01, 2000).]

Thanks for heads-up on MD knives. I try to avoid buying from companies that market inferior goods to non-JBTs when not compelled to do so by regulations.

Whoa, Mr. Volk, hold on a second. You've recieved some bad information. The non-detectable versions of Mad Dog's Mirage X series are available to anyone with a valid state CCW, as well as LEO and military types.
I don't have any Mirage X knives, but I have a steel Mad Dog and it's the best knife I have ever owned. Check out Mad Dog's forum, www.tacticalforums.com if you have any questions or want more information.

Later,
Chris

I do not have a valid state CHL -- they are NOT GIVEN where I live. I make my own choice (not binding to others) that it is enough for me to have locals trying to tell me how to live and what can't I own...no need to have manufacturers join into that pastime when there's nothing compelling them to do so.

I agree with Oleg Volk. If a company is going to sell a product, they should sell it to anyone who can legally purchase the item. They should not unfairly discriminate on the basis of race, occupation, religion, et cetera.

Ahh.

Oleg - I know where you're coming from. I cannot get a CCW either, despite the fact that I like in a shall-issue state (long story, and no, I'm not a felon :)) Anyway, if you feel that you've made an informed choice, cool. It's your descision. But if it were me, I'd at least try to find out why the CCW/LEO/Military policy is in place. Just my two cents.

Rosco - I disagree. A company should be free to sell, or not sell, it's product to anyone, for any reason. If the company makes a good product and justifies their sales policy with logic, no problem. If not, the marketplace will take care of them.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic. I'll shut up now.

Later,
Chris

I agree entirely: they have a right to set any policies that like (and I,personally, would be offended but recognized their right not to sell to people based on any which factor they like). I have, likewise, a right to dislike their policies and shop elsewhere even for products that would let me have. Same story as Ruger and 5rd magazines instead of 10-rounders for Mini14, only more so.

I wouldn't even buy Mad Dog's holsters after seeing that he'll only sell those ceramic knives to LEO's or Military. (CCW holders are not on the list according to his web site) And that really pisses me off too. LEO's have absolutely no better reason for such a knife (or a switchblade) than any other citizen. Why the hell would a patrol cop need a magneticly invisible knife for his offical duties. Answer that one. That goes for military types too. To have a manufacture promote that crap too. Boycott him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back