Suggest best shotguns for first time buyer

Gunplummer said:
Why the big deal over owning a S/S ? What can you really do with a pump that you cannot do with a S/S?

You can miss the same bird THREE times instead of merely twice.;)

Mossberg 500 or Rem 870 combo packages can be had around hunting season several places for stupid low prices. The short rifled barrel will usually put out buckshot at short ranges in a nice wide pattern most expect from a shotgun. Double or more the size of the regular chokes, making it about the best barrel for short range home defense if that is what you want. Across the room that moves you from a fist sized pattern to a softball sized pattern.

A beat to death but still functional 500 or 870 isn't worth much less than a LNIB one and there isn't much gap between that and a brand new one bought at a deal.

Fit!

I suspect all the cheap pumps here fit about the same, so this may be a waste if the OP ever comes back.

If you really wish to use the shotgun please get out and shoot or at least shoulder and point the guns you are considering.

Shotguns are pointed, not aimed. Please start off right by buying a shotgun that fits you.

There are lots of posts here on the subject, just use search.

Guess the OP lost interest in his thread.

No.. I got a PM from him in response to some questions I asked.

Do you know his knowledge level? No...

Do you know his budget? No.....

Do you know if righty or lefty? No....

I do because I asked.

Why the big deal over owning a S/S ? What can you really do with a pump that you cannot do with a S/S?

Shoot 3 times without reloading...... 5 if you take the waterfowl plug out. 8 if you put an extended magazine tube on it.

Reload without taking the gun out of action.

Not take Joe Biden's home defense advice.

Quote:

Shoot 3 times without reloading...... 5 if you take the waterfowl plug out. 8 if you put an extended magazine tube on it.

Reload without taking the gun out of action.

Not take Joe Biden's home defense advice.

Actually, mine holds 5 in the tube and 1 in the chamber.

If you want to spend as little as possible the Maverick 88 is a great option. They will take a beating and continue to work great for less than $200 before tax and transfer.

If you want to spend as little as possible the Maverick 88 is a great option. They will take a beating and continue to work great for less than $200 before tax and transfer

I went to my local Walmart to buy a $188 12 gauge Maverick 88 with 1 choke tube and 1 year warranty. They only had a 20 gauge but I saw a Mossberg 500 with 3 choke tubes and a 10 year warranty next to it for $254. I started to bet the Mossberg 500 until I saw a Mossberg 500 combo field/deer next to it for $298 with a 24" rifled slug barrel with rifle sights. I spent the extra $110, got the combo and I have been very pleased. The darn sabot slugs are expensive but accurate.

Sabots are intended for rifled bores, not smoothbores. I would not spend more than $1 for slugs in a smoothbore.

Hi , Running's is like a Walmart of home and farm supply, hardware mostly on the east coast U.S. sorry I'm not very good at posting link's or pic's or much :o I'm kinda a rock and a sharp stick guy when it comes to computers

People are going to think I was dropped on my head, but I think the Mossberg HS12 is great for both roles.

75449-media-1920x483.jpg

Yeah, it's not exactly built for hunting, but the granfather of this is the Mossberg Maverick Hunter. That model lacks the picatinny rails and a rear sight, but has longer barrels.

Anyway, because the rails are on the HS12, you can put a scope on this easy or a reflex sight which could also be great for home D. What makes this a nifty shotgun is the pic rail under the bottom barrel which you could mount a bipod with for hunting, take off after your hunt, and replace with a light for HD.

If you don't want to bother with a scope, the mount has a groove milled in that acts as a fixed rear sight, so shooting slugs with it should prove better than with a bead sight.

I also like the safety that acts as a barrel selector too. With that, I could have birdshot in one tube and a slug in the other, so I'm always ready for whatever game shows up. Same goes for defense at home; buck in one tube for a "close encounter of the -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- kind" or a segmented slug for a more accurate distance shot.

The only things I don't like about this shotgun is for hunting, it's not parkerized, so keep it dry and there's this lame safety that keeps the trigger from being pulled if the gun is pointed down at something around a 30 degree angle.

You can work around the trigger safety tho, but I won't be mentioning how here.

It's not cheap though, cost is gonna run you at least $450.

I'd look for used 870 Wingmasters. Nicer blued finish. Get a short barrel for it for home defense if wanted. No pistol grip or anything. Nice wood stock. Put an extended mag tube on it if you want, though I don't have one on mine.

It's not cheap though, cost is gonna run you at least $450.

You don't price good O/Us do you?;)
For that cheap price, I would have a concern about barrel regulation. It would need some serious sighting work for me to be comfortable using that in a HD role.

For that cheap price, I would have a concern about barrel regulation. It would need some serious sighting work for me to be comfortable using that in a HD role.
IN comparison to other shotguns that aren't doubles, it's a high price. Compared to other doubles, it's cheap as the Sun's heat.

If you're in a home defense role, you're going to be using this within 10-15 yards and at that distance regulation is the least of your worries.

Hunting it could be, but if you're using a slug, I'd sight it in using one barrel only, like a single shot shotgun, and figure out where the POI is in relation to the POA.

Back