Suggest best shotguns for first time buyer

Buy a cheap single shot break open and learn to shoot before you decide on a multi shot model. You did say it was your first shotgun?

Buy a cheap single shot break open and learn to shoot before you decide on a multi shot model. You did say it was your first shotgun?
Why waste the money on something like that, then end up buying what you really wanted to begin with?

"Learning" to shoot one shotgun doesn't always translate to being able to shoot another one well if the fit isn't right.

I see no point in buying a light single shot that will only give you more recoil, especially when the OP said one reason for the purchase is "defense".

Why? I have two that I no longer shoot because I automatically go to one of my pumps. I don't think there is anything to be gained by getting a single shot.

Why the big deal over owning a S/S ? What can you really do with a pump that you cannot do with a S/S?

You can shoot multiple rounds without reloading. Both of mine hold 6, counting the chamber. Reloading a S/S takes time, is not the easiest thing to do and 6 shotgun shells are a pocket full. I shot S/S for the first 50 years of my life and I don't want to go back. Ever try to reload a gun with gloves on?

DECENT SxS guns start about $3K on the really cheap bottom end and most of the better ones start triple that and go up from there. The really cheap POS from Stoeger et al are a waste of money as they will break more often than they will work.

Duh - it seems like some confusion. A single shot holds one shell, a side-by-side holds two. Generally a single shot is very low cost; generally a side-by-side is much higher priced. A new side-by-side is probably not a good choice as a first shotgun. As many have suggested, a pump is probably the best choice - multiple shots and not terribly expensive.

I have to disagree with $3,000 being the floor for decent SxSs. The Dickinsons run about $1,500 and are quite good, but even though they are chambered for 3" I doubt they would hold up forever shooting those loads.
Even though this forum is almost cheap pump gun heaven, a pump gun is not always best for everyone and everything for a lot of reasons.

Absolutely agree about the pump gun. I have one in a closet somewhere bought decades ago. I'll take my semis, over unders, and sxs guns. An I have the S&W Dickinson, and it isn't bad but the triggers need work. Definitely better than the savage fox.

shotgun

i have a Winchester SXP 12 gauge for home defense. I got it at academy for around 300 bucks. good buy for the money easy to use

I improved the triggers on a Dickinson considerably just by taking it apart and a little cleaning up / polishing of the mating and contacting surfaces. I did not mess with the sear/hammer engagement area as it was not my gun. If I give in to my desire for a 28 gauge I may have to make a jig and work on that too if I get one with bad triggers. They seem to be a bit inconsistent. Some are fine. I do love how they handle. If there were still any wild quail I wouldn't hesitate.

There are plenty of wild quail, just not here in the East...........friend has a brother in Kansas -says they had the best year in 80 for coveys and numbers.

When I bought my Mossberg 500 combo, years ago, it came with a 28" vent rib barrel (modified) and a 24" rifled slug barrel. As part of a sales promotion, I got 2 more choke tubes (full and improved cylinder) free by sending proof of purchase to Mossberg. I later picked up an 18.5" smoothbore slug barrel. Over the years I tried various home defense configurations: pistol grip, collapsible stock, red dot sights, vertical foregrip, etc. I eventually went back to the original stock and forend, with a tactical light for home defense. In "sport" configurations, I've shot trap and taken deer, pheasants, turkey and ducks. It's not fancy, but it does everything I ask of it.

When I bought my Mossberg 500 combo, years ago, it came with a 28" vent rib barrel (modified) and a 24" rifled slug barrel. As part of a sales promotion, I got 2 more choke tubes (full and improved cylinder) free by sending proof of purchase to Mossberg.

I bought the same combo 2 weeks ago. The mod choke tube was in the barrel and the full and improved cylinder tubes were in a packet with the wrench in the box. The combo unit cost $298 at Walmart. I ordered and received a Carlsons turkey choke at a cost of $15.40.

Remington 870
Mossberg 500
Winchester 500

Yep Those are the best three.

Marines use Mossbergs. Police use Remington.

In your video you say there is no choke. Do you mean that each gun is open cylinder or that they have fixed chokes (they do not have screw in chokes).

Back