Suggest best shotguns for first time buyer

You're going to get a lotttt of Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 recommendations and rightfully so.

If you're looking for 1 gun to do both i would be looking at a barrel length between 20-24 inches.

I would try to get your hands on as many as possible and see what you like. You won't be disappointed with an 870 or a 500 but the list I would look into is below;

- Remington 870
- Mossberg 500
- Maverick 88(extremely similar to the mossy 500 just some cheaper parts internally, still a great gun)
- FN P12(I think is the model?)
- Stoeger P350
- Winchester SXP
- CZ 612

The Remington 870 combination identified in post #2 is the best value and probably the best option assuming you intend to hunt deer with a shotgun. If you are hunting only upland birds and waterfowl, the Remington 870 without the rifled barrel option is the best. (I have only about 4 or 5 870's left in my collection.)

I recently bought my wife a present of a Weatherby PA-08 20 gauge. It is the youth model. It is a beautiful gun. The wooden furniture is very nice and the action is very smooth. It is a lightweight gun. It was about $400

That said, I've got an Ithaca 37 20 gauge that I've taken a rabbit with and a Mossberg 500 12 gauge that I've missed some ducks with. The Mossberg is a combo version with a slug barrel. It's a good starter gun. It's the one I started with 25 years ago. I did a summer trap league with the Mossberg as well about 15 years ago.

I don't use any of them for home defense anymore. When I did I kept the slug barrel (smooth) on and loaded it with shotshells.

While yes you are going to get a lot of Rem 870 and Mossberg 500 recommendations, you probably need to give us a little more information.

What do you want to hunt? Deer, squirrels, Geese...

Protection from what, and in what kind of circumstances?

It appears that you are okay with a pump action?

"...Maverick 88(extremely similar to the mossy(sic) 500..." An 88 isn't just similar to a 500. It is a 500. Just has a synthetic stock.
Anyway, what's your budget? Any pump gun will do what you want. So will a semi-auto. Different price range.
Best price option is a Mossberg/Maverick 500/88 combo. Gives you a deer barrel(that'll do for repelling boarders) and a bird/small game barrel with changeable chokes. Same thing in an 870 is a couple hundred more. You can buy different barrels(like fully rifled slug barrels) if and when you want to for either as well.
If you want a lot of daft aftermarket stuff(flashlights, extended mags, etc.), go with the 870. Way more of it for 870's than any other shotgun.

If I was starting out, I would get a Remington 11-87. Many available in excellent condition used, too. 3" capable, and will recoil a lot less shooting targets. For true "Home Defense" you do not need a tactical gun in the least.

Cheap = pump = Maverick, Mossberg, Remington

All can go bang. Mossberg and Remington do offer combo sets with a short barrel for HD and a longer barrel for upland

I would prefer a semi, but they will cost more. Makers to choose from besides Mossberg and Remngton include Beretta, Benelli, Winchester, FN, Weatherby

I went to Walmart to buy a Maverick 88 12 gauge for $188. The one they had in stock was a 20 gauge but I noticed the Mossberg 500 near it. The Maverick only had a modified choke tube and a 1 year warranty. The nice wood stocked Mossberg 500 had 3 choke tubes and a 24" rifled slug barrel with rifle sights for $298 with a 10 year warranty. I bought the Mossberg and I am glad that I did. I shot the slug barrel today for the first time and I hit a 12" circle at 45 yards the first time I tried it. The recoil did get my attention.

For just under $300, I have a shotgun that can do about anything that needs to be done with a long gun. My 14 year old grandson called the slug barreled Mossberg my elephant gun.

Are you saying your Mossberg only has a 24" rifled barrel?

No. I should have been clearer. It has a 28" vented barrel with 3 chokes and an additional 24" rifled slug barrel with rifle sights. I just got a $16 turkey choke in the mail yesterday. I now have most bases covered for $315 plus tax.

What are the differences between mossberg 590 and mossberg 500 models?

Actually, it comes down to the barrel being secured to the gun...

The 500 has a screw that is integrated in the barrel, which screws into the end of the magazine tube.

The 590 uses a nut on the end of the magazine tube to hold back a loop on the barrel. It is actually along the lines of an 870.

For protection and for hunting use. Name the particular specific models please.Thanks

I have been an 870 shooter my entire life. I love them. If you can find an older one? Go for it. But don't get a newer one. Their quality control has been awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been an 870 shooter my entire life. I love them. If you can find an older one? Go for it. But don't get a newer one. Their quality control has been awful.
This is pure BS. A few years ago the finishes on the Express models was rather rough, but of late they have improved quite a bit in my opinion. The Wingmasters have been fine for over 65 years. You just cannot get a good $700+ gun for less than $300.

Back