Sucked into the Glock vortex

I once owned a Glock 19 but sold it because, unlike all my other semi-autos, I could not seem to get used to the grip angle which made me shoot low. However, I know that Glocks are one of the best pistols on the market and I have been toying with the idea of another 19. How did all of you overcome the grip angle problem, or have any of you had that problem? Thanks.

Prof,

WHAT grip angle problem???

I grip my Glock, pull the trigger, bullet go where I aim.

What problem??? <G>

Frosty
MOLO LABE

Prof,

You shoot low? Really? The first time I grabbed a Glock and pointed it, I had about a 10 degree up angle. Wasn't sure if I'd ever get past it. Now, after a couple of thousand rounds, I can close my eyes and bring the gun up level and right where I want it.

Glocks are to pistols what KY is to sex, easy in, easy out.......Just load up that gun, point it, and let the fury fly. Remember, Tamara is a 10MM banger at heart(not that that is bad) she just is!

Glocks ryme with chocks? It's a guy thang..........

Kinder gentler...

Glock = gun, but so does H&K, SIG, Ruger, S&W, Walther, Colt, Kimber, Taurus, EAA......

......that's why we have choices......

I choose something else, but that doesn't make Glocks bad.

(I promised I'd be nice about Glocks....and I often recommend the M17.)

---------------------------------

"all my handguns are metal handguns"

I got my first Glock 5 years ago and have bought 3 more since. I also have a SA 1911 that is fun to shoot. But when it comes to total reliability and accuracy in a combat pistol, Glocks are the best on the planet. I carry my 26 with me everywhere because I know it will ALWAYS go Bang. I keep my 34 next to me at night with an M3 on her because I can trust it to protect my kid and myself. I am predjudiced for a reason. You will own more, I guarantee it.
BTW- check out http://www.glocktalk.com It's a little bit of heaven.

I had a Glock 23, .40S&W, which I kept about 2 years. No matter what ammo I fed it, there was almost always one stovepipe or similar jam in every magazine. Needless to say, I traded it for a Smith.

Having been an NRA Certified Instructor for almost 7 years, and involved in quite a number of live-fire exercises related to the instruction, we (the entire group of instructors, each having at least 20 years of firearms experience) have had more problems on the line with failures to feed or eject, stovepipes, etc. with Glocks than with any other top name brand semiauto on the market today. Out of approximately 70 Glocks (each student provides his/her own firearm and ammunition) used during the live-fire exercise, only one shot the 50-round course without a failure. Several were removed from the line due to faulty components. We have not experienced a problem of this magnitude with any other top manufacturer's guns.

I had a 19 and loved it till I got the 26. I shoot it a lot better for some reason. Neither one has so much as hiccuped, which is more than I can say for any other gun I own. I had to switch the rear sight of the 19 to hit the target. Then my groups were a little loose. I havn't done anything to the 26 and can shoot it more accuratly than the 19. My friends dad got a compact .40 glock that jammed. It was used, maybe that's why they traded it in, who knows. Now I want something in a .45.

Welcome to the Glock vortex. Don't try to escape. Gaston Glock has cast his spell on you. Within another year you will have two more Glocks and will have spent in excess of $500 on accessories.

Wait till you try a G23

Great choice. The Glock 19 is excellent. When you get a chance try a G23, you'll be hooked.

I agree that there are plenty of choices. Who can say no to fine defence tools like the P226, CZ75, HK P7M7, etc.? ;)

Glock is the most reliable gun I have used. I have had malfunctions in SIG (226 and 229), Walther 9MM P-99, and MANY in S&W autos (4006 and 1076). I have had one (1) in a G20 with a worn out aftermarket recoil spring (failure to go into battery). The 8 other Glocks are problem free. Thousands of rounds fired. -Coug

Two Wounds

Two Wounds,

You made the same claim over at http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=61645

I find it hard to belive because I've simply never read anything close to what you're saying happened. The major issue that's fully documented is NYPD's use of the G19. They claimed the pistol would jam with their ammo, Glock said it was weak ammo and limp wristing and modified the barrel hood of the G19 to accomodate NYPD. There have been sporadic reports of some failures like one agency's claims against Glock for faulty G21s. These are not universal problems but rather agency specific.

What models were these 70 Glocks? What ammo was being used? What were the faulty components? Without this information it's hard to make any conclusions.

I've read reports by police trainers with ample experience that say that Glocks are the most reliable and easy to master pistols they've ever worked with. I don't think Glocks would have the reputation for reliability that they enjoy if they were as faulty as you say they are. ;)

My first pistol was the first Glock, the G17...still like the gun, maybe should try the 19, however, am sold on my H&K USP. The trigger is the best of both worlds...that is sitting on the fence between my bullseye, "it's a tricked up 1911 or its nothing" friends, and the more "tactical" of the crowd who actually carry a gun as the tool they are designed to be.

Doubt I'd ever get rid of the 17, but it's been lonely since the Full size USP .45 joined the family!;)

Two Wounds, stove pipe jams in a stock glock are usually indicative of limp wristing or too-light loads. If you were shooting factory loads, had at least one jam per magazine and you couldn't see a pattern (e.g. jamming only on the first or last round) then you were likely limp wristing the pistol. Or you are just trolling for an argument. In the three years I've owned my glocks I've followed a lot of online discussion on glocks and while some may not like their looks I've never heard of anyone that has experienced even a fraction of the unreliability you describe.

I had random jams in my G22 fairly often when I first bought it until I figured out I was limp wristing and now its fine. I've only had one jam in my G19, during a match, and I'm pretty sure that was either an inadvertant light reload or a momentary lapse back into limp wristing. Either way, it was my fault and not the pistol's.

[Edited by proximo on 03-27-2001 at 11:00 PM]

I agree about the limp wristing. Mine work fine if I don't let my wrist get weak. Hey Tecolote, I got a 9MM barrel from Olympic Arms for my G23. Works great. Just swap the barrel. I figure it will pay for itself in about 2000 rounds.

Hmm,
Glocks didn't really do it for me. Don't know why. I know alot of people buy one Glock, gets addicted, and buys more Glocks. I thought I was going to do that too. But nope. Got a G19 and though its an excellent gun, it does not suit me that well.
Different for the Sigs though. (never though it would) but I got a 229 a month after I got the G19. Love it to death. Now, I am hooked on Sigs. I'm waiting for my the 30 days to pass (stupid CA one gun every 30 day law) so I can get a Sig 239.
I'm a HK fan but I am warming up to Sigs very fast. Now, if I was to choose between Sigs and HKs, I would be stuck.
I think Sigs are addictive.
ST

Back