Straight Wall States Hunting

Pretty sure this is derailed. But remember hunters who are only for their way and hate all other methods hinder us as a group. The DNR, State Wildlife group, Ministry of Conservation... regulate the seasons and the numbers.

I applaud muzzleloader hunters who use percussion or flint locks but I'll be using my inline (mostly because the surrounding counties I hunt locally only allow shotguns or muzzleloaders for the regular season). But I wouldln't mind one of those Pedersoli double barrels and trying my hand at pheasant hunting. There's a group here that uses them on turkeys and a clays league.

I'm also a bowhunter and I don't care if fellow hunters use Atlatl's, Recurves, Compound or Crossbows. I congratulate them for getting out and hopefully bagging a deer. Or go Fred Bear/Ben Pearson style and shoot some ducks on the fly.

Singleshot to semi auto all have their place. Is a hunter using an AR10 in 308 carrying a 30 round magazine all that bad if they down a deer in one shot with 29 still in the magazine? I use a bolt gun and load 5. If i'm packing in somewhere the other 15 will be in my pack because who knows what will happen.

I may have bought 6 tag between the two states I hunt this year but I stopped after tagging a 6 point because I only needed 1 deer. But if I knew a family who needed meat I could have filled more and helped them out.

Can't we be happy that we have a tradition we share?

3Crows I would suggest if you think your area might turn into a straight wall cartridge area that you pick up a rifle chambered in what you think is the most accepted because if it happens to an area those rifles will be hard to find for some time.

Michigan had a solid shotgun zone (the bottom 1/3rd of the state) for quite some time but now cut that area in 1/3rd as a trial place to use straight wall cartridges and maybe someday bottlenecks again.

Wisconsin had an even bigger shotgun zone and after analyzing stats they found not that many people were getting shot and lifted it. But now we're plagued by towns, cities, townships and other zones that wrote rules when it was a shotgunzone saying the only rifles that could be used are .17 or .22 rimfire. Most of these say they have coyote problems but nobody wants to come in and shoot them with a 22.

Blindstitch, I find myself mostly in agreement with your sentiments. This thread displays part of the reason why we have restrictive & wacky hunting laws in many places. Our fellow sportsmen can be our own worst enemies. As long as the animal is taken humanely, I don't care how ya do it. We should all be eager to welcome new hunters to the fold regardless of the tool they prefer to use.

I asked about the straight wall hunting, I did not say that I am fond of the idea or other similar regulations. I would prefer a single long season in which a hunter can hunt with whatever weapon he/she desires.

But that is not reality, some hunters do not want to be in the woods with other hunters with long range capable rifles who as in another current thread use scopes to glass their targets for ID. And I think it is understandable even if misguided that townships or built up areas might wish to attempt to regulate potential range.

3Crows,
JFYI, I use a single shot straight wall case rifle here in NY where I can use any rifle cartridge I choose. I personally like straight walled cases in single shot rifles regardless of what else I could use. I've been shooting these type of guns for several years now. My favorite are the .357mag, .357max, and the 45-70 (which you can shorten down easily to make length requirements in several states...and not give up performance). To date, I've never lost even one deer, have shot many, and never needed a second shot to get the job done. All three of those cartridges are good deer cartridges and very, very accurate in my guns....just something to think about.

I never got to excited about slug hunting deer here in Iowa, but the opportunity to use my Henry .357 changes things.

Now if I hadn't bought the brass version............dummy. :mad:

Missouri changed it's muzzle loader season to "alternative methods" a few years ago. Basically allowing handguns in addition to muzzle loaders. Nothing about "straight wall" however.
Now I use my TC Contender in either 35 Remington, or 7-30 Waters. My son uses a Glock G40 MOS.
I have no problems with the changes because "muzzle loader" hunting has become so convoluted with modern muzzle loaders shooting nearly on a par with centerfires.
The change I would have rather seen would be exposed ignition, loose powder, pure lead projectiles, and no optics. True cap and ball, or flintlock arms.

I can't tell if anyone ever explained it. Straight cased rounds are generally either pistol or rounds like the 45-70. most of The straight cased rounds do not develop the velocity of the average bottleneck. The straight cased rounds to not have the aerodynamic shape. A bottlenecked .300 magnum with a low drag bullet can remain dangerous in the air across an entire city, but a .44 magnum will hit the ground a lot sooner. This is a simple thing, it's done in areas where there are developments and hunting plots are small. Some states allow only shotgun slugs for a similar reason.

our state, for better or worse, has now made hunting with an atlatl legal. Spear hunting. No further comment, they would be impolite.

Straight Wall States Hunting
I read more and more on this as a growing thing in some states. Do such states allow lever guns or only primitive type or single shot? If single shot only can one put a plug in the magazine to limit to one round?

For decades Ohio only allowed a gun season where you could use a cap & ball primitave or you could use a shotgun with a slug (pumpkin ball). A few years ago Ohio made some major improvements in allowing straight wall cartridges to include:
These specific straight-walled cartridge rifles are legal for deer hunting: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 ...Nov 20, 2014 and I believe the 45-70 government is now in the mix, Large bore handgun was always permitted. Large part of the problems with Ohio is flat land with the exception of down south and population density. So while cartridges like 308 Winchester and 30-06 Springfield remain out the new laws opened up some good choices are available. They also have opened up Sunday for deer hunting which is nice.

Many surrounding Mid Western states are enacting similar laws and some have opened things up but only in certain areas,

Ron

^ when you add sabot/rifled barrels shotguns and in-line muzzle loaders Ohio has come a long way from punkin balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Western hunters and their ultra magnums can use those thing because they sometimes have miles of trees between shooter and potential collateral damage, many miles of open land, and some areas are hilly or even mountainous. As said,other areas of the US are genuinely flat, not heavily forested, heavily populated, and some of those areas are also covered with open cropland that may stretch for thousands of yards.

Yes, some of that ground really calls for long range rifles, but straight wall cases and low velocity are safer.

Western hunters and their ultra magnums can use those thing because they sometimes have miles of trees between shooter and potential collateral damage, many miles of open land, and some areas are hilly or even mountainous. As said,other areas of the US are genuinely flat, not heavily forested, heavily populated, and some of those areas are also covered with open cropland that may stretch for thousands of yards.

Yes, some of that ground really calls for long range rifles, but straight wall cases and low velocity are safer.
Yesterday 10:43 AM

No gun is safe if the user doesn't follow the four rules, one of which is for the shooter to know his target and what lies beyond it......

really big assumption that nobody actually has thought about that already. It doesn't matter at all what a person thinks is in front of him sometimes, because a magnum round with over two mile range of potential kill zone at the end of it is going to be a whole lot more dangerous than a .357 or other straight wall round with terrible long range potential. this isn't even touching on how dangerous a bullet can be if it bounces off of a rock in the dirt or a fence post and goes airborn. You can't render your shot safe just by following rules.

Nobody can even guess when there is a group of hunters down range, and no, a person cannot always have a nice long canopy of forest behind what they are shooting at. A short range cartridge will not carry as far and will be safer to fire in areas that are partially developed or will probably have other hunters nearby. When I was a kid i found a guy aiming at a white patch on my coat. My orange vest was behind a tree, he came up behind me and thought that it was a white tail.

because a magnum round with over two mile range of potential kill zone at the end of it is going

I'm trying to figure out how a bullet is going to go two miles unless you shot it up into the air at a pretty serious positive angle (dumb stuff) ..... even if you shot it a a very flat hard surface (dumb stuff) or water (dumber stuff) the bullet would deform and destabilize in short order .... even military FMJ doesn't fly well after hitting something .... a lead cored soft point designed to upset on impact ? Please.

As for not knowing where other hunters are .... that's part of the reason you ask permission to hunt: to know where other people are going to be at, and when..... it's also a good reason to not go traipsing around lost during hunting season, trespassing.....

When I was a kid i found a guy aiming at a white patch on my coat.

Dumb stuff on both your parts ..... I guess Hunter Ed. didn't take .... every class I've been in included warnings to not make yourself look like the game in season .... and not to point guns at things you had not positively ID'd as a target .....

You can't render your shot safe just by following rules.
If you can't be sure it's safe, don't take the shot.

when deer are in short supply, "Rule-Beaters" need their B-Hinds beaten ..... I hate in-lines ..... that ain't what they made the season for .... marketing and the Chamber of Commerce and the Insurance Lobby drove that .....
I am kind of mixed on the whole muzzleloader thing. My muzzleloader is an easy 400 yard rifle. The DNR folks around here seem to prefer in lines because so many woundings of game with traditional. Youth can use centerfire during muzzleloader season due to safety issues and high accident rate with muzzleloader.

When I was a kid i found a guy aiming at a white patch on my coat.
Dumb stuff on both your parts ..... I guess Hunter Ed. didn't take .... every class I've been in included warnings to not make yourself look like the game in season .... and not to point guns at things you had not positively ID'd as a target .....
I was hunting about 30 years ago and this big old deer was topping a hill about 300 yards in front of me. It was a buck, but its head was flopping around. I glassed it (with binos) and it was my idiot uncle carrying a buck out on his shoulders. He had done a marvelous job of completely obscuring his orange vest.

I was hunting about 30 years ago and this big old deer was topping a hill about 300 yards in front of me. It was a buck, but its head was flopping around. I glasses it (with binos) and it was my idiot uncle carrying a buck out on his shoulders. He had done a marvelous job of completely obscuring his orange vest.

Dumb stuff.

And either your idiot uncle was a real hoss or your deer were tiny.

Dumb stuff.

And either your idiot uncle was a real hoss or your deer were tiny.
Maybe y'all are just wimps where you come from. If you can't pack a good buck out on your shoulders, oh well. I have packed out many, many, deer on my shoulders. After dark with a light on so its safe.

Not throwing 150+ pounds of dead weight on my shoulders and trying to walk a mile with it does not make me a wimp ..... it says that I'm smart enough to know my limitations. It also says I'm smart enough not to be completely covered in blood .....

Back