Stopping power, true or fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
... More time understanding and developing mindset ... learning to be aware of your surroundings ... developing a strong handgun skillset and supporting it with recurrent training & proper practice ... learning the laws involving the use of force, carrying a weapon, etc ... learning to properly maintain your chosen firearm(s) selected as a dedicated defensive weapon ... developing and maintaining sufficient physical capabilities to permit the safe & effective use of a firearm ... learning & practicing safe storage of firearms so children and other unauthorized persons can't gain access to them ... and probably some other considerations that don't occur to me off the top of my head at the moment, are all arguably more critical than the subject of "stopping power" and how it relates to handguns. ...

+1 and QFT

Note that I said "22LR type" and ".50BMG type". I know full well that an actual 22LR soft lead round won't cut it. I'm not trying to be cute, so I apologize for the confusion.

A 22 LR type bullet is very soft lead.

Consider that a 5.56/.223 round is the same diameter however, and hardly much heavier.

Diameter has nothing to do with it, bullet construction does.

There are plenty of lead-nosed rounds which absolutely do not "splat" upon impact.

There are, but they are not 40 grains moving @ 3000 FPS

A .50cal bullet travelling at pistol speeds will poke a very nice 12.5mm hole and not much else, besides over-penetrating like nobody's bidness. There's no doubt that it would be more effective than an actual 22LR at similar speeds.

A 750 grain 50 caliber bullet at the stated 1000 FPS would have roughly 3 times the momentum as a 230 grain 45 ACP, millions of people sweap by that one. And, yes I think you were trying to be cute, thats Ok it is hard for me not to be. ;)

I think we can all agree that the .45 ACP has the greatest potential to stop of all the defensivie calibers.

If that were the case we would not need, 9mm, 38 Special, 357 magnum, 40 S&W, 357 Sig, 44 Special, 10mm, etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back