Stocking up on ammo?

Everyone purchases, stores, and hoards ammo for as many reasons as there are gun owners. Some keep none on hand and buy as they go while others may just keep a box or two of defensive ammo stored in a nightstand or where ever. I have a reason to keep my ammo stores and for what ever purpose, it is my reason.

And for those that want to know that reason, talk to a war time grunt and ask them what their biggest fear was in a fire fight other than getting shot and/or killed.

200 rounds per firearm, unless it's one I use all the time, then 500. The only exception is my Garand and a .22LR, and I dropped the ball on those.

+1 concerning .45 Gunner's post I'm not a wartime grunt, but I read him 5x5.

Last edited:
[QUOTE I learned to reload. I just stocked up on components[/QUOTE]

This!!!

Pretty good stock of factory ammo on hand but with reloading, I can triple that

I learned from the 2008-9 ammo panic.

Once it passed, I loaded up on all calibers and haven't needed to replenish since. Oh, I might be a little low on 22LR, but this current drought won't last forever.

crazy charlie

Big Brother might be listening in.

^^THIS. I never admit in a public forum;
--number of guns owned
--rounds of ammo stocked

Not paranoid, just cautious.....;)

Funny thing, this..........

Everytime some nut job get arrested for having a gun, he has "a few hundred" rounds of ammo! And the liberal left-wing media goes balistic!

OMG.......a couple hundred rounds?!?!?!?!?

Most anyone that has our hobby will definitely fall into that quantity or MUCH MUCH higher!

Problem is, big brother is probably reading this thread!

How much do I have?........enough for the weekend! (HA.....ha!) :)

2,000 rounds of 5.56
1,000 rounds of 7.62x51 M14 load
200 rounds of precision bolt action .308
2,000 rounds 9mm
2,000 rounds .45ACP
5,000 rounds .22LR

Then there are enough components to make a whole lot more.

Most of my stored ammo is in surplus steel ammo cans but now Im stocking up on 12ga for my 870 tac and the .30 and .50 canc dont hold enough so Im rounding up the 40mm cans .
I post on sites that discuss alot more stuff that big brother would be intrested in than this . We know he watches them and even has a couple of "under cover" members there . I just figure they can listen in and mabey learn something but to worry about Big brother here. No . if you hav'nt noticed many members are BB .

JohnKSA said:
My goal is to have enough on hand to make it through a panic/shortage without having to scrounge or stand in line to buy ammo at 2x to 3x what it is worth. Most of all, I don't want to have to alter my shooting schedule to accommodate the nuttiness of others.

That is my goal as well. The back-to-back panics followed by Newtown certainly made me revisit how long I might have to wait out the craziness though.

There is never enough. But if I had to put a number on it....at least 1000 rounds of everything I shoot. Shotguns? about 250-500 rounds of each.

Well--this discussion has never made sense to me--it's like asking "how much beer to you keep in the fridge." I don't put beer in the fridge to admire it and fantasize about hypothetical situations when I might drink it. I usually shoot several times a week. I reload for everything--but still buy ammo occasionally for brass--and sometimes just plain laziness. My experience is that in end, the one thing that really counts and is going to screw you is how much smokeless powder you have--everything else depends on that.

I stocked up on factory loads as well as components many years ago. I had disposable income then, and prices were cheap. $7.95 for bricks of Federal .22 LR, for example, or .08 per round for .223 and 7.62x39.
I load all my revolver rounds, but have primers, powder and bullets on hand, in good quantities.

They'll be another ammo panic run, if Russia conquers the whole country of Ukraine, and the U.S. subsequently bans the importation of Ukrainian made Wolf ammo.

Back