Stevens Single in .32 Long

So, tell me Ollie....

Two questions.

1. Did you make the breech block on the right?
2. Did you case harden the receiver and breech block to the left?

The breech block is original and yes I did the case hardening. I will be doing the color case hardening to the other one this weekend.

Over-winter projects involving these older Stevens Favorite rifles are one of the best methods I use to get through the doldrums involved with winter:

BEFORE:
nuZeDfdl.jpg

AFTER:
2ZrIQpel.jpg

BEFORE:
NEAcWOXl.jpg

AFTER:
Oo879S1l.jpg

When I received this rifle, there was no buttstock, so, one of those needed to be fitted:
PCgu1sFl.jpg

On another Favorite I picked up, that one was chambered for the .32 Long rimfire round:
l71Jk6ul.jpg

What I wound up doing was to line the barrel with a .22 rimfire liner 1:16 twist:
FWqtd5Cl.jpg

That choice was made so I could use the original .32 Long breech block:
iO1pxvtl.jpg

Because of that choice, the need was necessary to make a new firing pin with the tip "off-set" to hit the .22 rimfire rim properly. See the pin below the breech block.
Can't seem to help myself. Whenever I go to gunshows or estate auctions, I seem to come back to the shop with more Favorite parts:
tMydfXel.jpg

Seems nobody wants this stuff but me, so, sometimes they come cheap. :D

Thanks. Some think it's "NUTS" to put the time and effort into a rifle that cost around $10.00 at the first point of sale. Draw filing the barrel flats on this Ideal Model 44 to get the flats to look a bit better wasn't half as tedious as recutting the roll stamped barrel markings with a push engraving bit. No coffee during that endeavor:

FWvgxYnl.jpg

The alternative would have been to stay .32, probably a reline if the inside was as rough as the outside, a centerfire firing pin, and a good deal of caution loading.

The .32 has more going for it tho, could load with black powder subs like Triple 7, easy cleaning, but good velocity and accuracy.

The centerfire pin would have been a challenge, but a worthy one IMO. I'm not a fan of single shot .22's, just my personal opinion, but like I said he did a good job.

The .32 has more going for it tho, could load with black powder subs like Triple 7, easy cleaning, but good velocity and accuracy.

The centerfire pin would have been a challenge, but a worthy one IMO. I'm not a fan of single shot .22's, just my personal opinion, but like I said he did a good job.
Yup, and made quite a few fans/owners of those Favorite rifles, and other versions happy, when accuracy was re-inserted! They couldn't hit a barn from the inside when the original bore was rotted away from using Lesmok .22 rimfire ammunition.
Nobodies leg was twisted, and they all came to me to have the work done, after a lengthy discussion on what was involved. Happy customer......all that matters.

NO REGERTS!

Got it. The parts you are in need of are found quite often on either ebay, or gunbroker. Prices do vary depending on condition. I don't have any duplicates or extras for sale at this time.

Thanks anyway. I have to laugh since I sold a 25 Stevens Favorite for less than what people are asking for a breach block. Of course that was ten years ago and I was tired of paying $2 or $3 a round at gun shows. Oh Well, I will run across parts one of these days. I check ebay , but not often. Thanks again. Grant.

Back