Staying warm in the deer stand.

I have a Mr. Heater Buddy heater in my blind. It keeps me nice and warm the entire time I spend in the blind. I live in my blind for days at a time when I hunt, just make sure I have plenty of propane for the heater.
At night, I crack a window open to keep the air circulation good, so I don't have to worry about carbon monoxide killing me while I sleep.

Thaqt why I like a one-piece cover-all fir hunting..

minimizes drafts.
Also the heavyweight polar-tec long johns and a light-weight polar-tec undershirt, then a LLBean Maine herringbone wool shirt, all that is topped with a polar-tec jacket. Boots are Sorels' with felts, with a light weight cotton sock with a wool sock over. On the head is a balacava thin-sulate helmet, gloves are wool fingered, lined with thin-sulate and if needed deerskin mitts. or if temperatures are warmer good old D3A leather gloves with new wool liners.

I used to use the toe warmers inside my boot but found that a pair of smartwool socks without the toe warmers gave me more room in my boots and kept my feet warmer. I still use the stick on toe warmers on other strategic places of my body though.

Some folks ice fish in a shack.I'm sure that's wonderful.Wyoming,Colorado,Montana has wind.I have literally watched collapse fabric shacks full of screaming people blow across the lake.

We generally travel light and sit on a bucket.

I have been camped out on Canyon Ferry Res in Montana when the catalytic heaters went dim,then out.The propane tanks were still full.We kept fishing.

Yes,all your blood flows through your head and neck.Its a radiator.

Maintain your core temp.You get a little cold,you body constricts peripheral blood flow.Hands and feet get cold.Legs get cold? feet get cold.Insulate the pipes

I would not hunt dressed this way,but feet? The old air force dry cold muklucls with three 3/8 thick felt insoles(OEM)The felt liners for those boots,pus wool sox.
The brown polar weight GI polypro long johns are good. Two pair.A pair of non waterproof nylon wind pants over those.Jogging pants.Thats a "strip down to" level for driving,a restaurant,etc.
Then the German Army heavy wool pants.
Add Carhart or Duluth suspenders.
Up top,layers polypro and polartec.

Then,insulated Carhart bibs.

Another polartec jacket,the poncho liner type GI fishtailparks liner. For reserve,a down or poly puffy vest.Then an oversize Carhart "active" jacket.The shorte hoodie version.

Over that,on top,windproof GI goretex fishtailpark (Developmental test prototype)

On my head,the grey wool Woolritch Balcava worn over a brimmed railroad cap.Hoods workover that.

Hands,the half finger wool gloves with rbber polka-dots.The chemical warmer inside,on the palm.

GI US or Canadian) Gaunlet trigger finger mittens with wool liners over that.

Fishing is done with the half finger gloves.

I know,some are laughing.

With that outfit,I can camp exposed for a week in January on the ice in central Montana.

Oh,if you want to be popular,br the guy who has the cast iron dutch over with a potroat,carrots,onions,potatoes as the sun goes down :-)

Being bald, I am aware of how important keeping my head covered or uncovered can be. I now use a fleece headgear that drapes over my neck and that does a really good job for my needs.

I find it truly amazing how much the difference is in gear that is needed when sitting still for 6-8 hours versus moving around. I figure I need about 1/3 of the layers/warming capability when walking around as compared to sitting in a blind. I don't need handwarmers for moving around, but I sure to appreciate having them when I am sitting in the blind for so long. "Artificial" heat really is a good thing when you need it.

Keeping your body fueled with food --- like energy or candy bar snacks --- will warm up your body some --- But by eating them before parts of your body start to feel cold is important.

In very cold weather , I always like to carry an extra pair of socks, walk a lot, feet get sweating, then cold. Change into the dry socks when your feet start getting cold. When my feet are happy, everybody's happy.

When I was much younger I saw a pair of insulated booties made to put your booted feet into in a stand, called baers feet or something. I promptly took and old blanket and cut out a big goofy looking pair of overshoes, a little sewing work and while ugly man did they work well.

Panfisher, I just bought these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BE8I4AE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

81H17kml9JL._SL1200_.jpg

They arrived a couple days ago - right when the temps around here went into the 60-70's!!!

I prefer to prep for the worst and a full day hunt.

Of course you have to stop air flow around the body. If it's sub zero and blowing it can be very hard to see... So when I want to spend the day after day hunting in the harsh Michigan, Upper Peninsulas, Keweenaw. We build a 8'x10' blind on 6' poles. Add a few windows, wood burner, coffee pot and fry pan. Also some chili, jerky, salami, bread and what ever else you like. A pile of hard wood under the blind will last a week... and a Polaris Sportsman will get you in and out as long as the snow doesn't get too deep. But I still have to dress with all of those things as have been mentioned along with a flash light and compass when the Lake Superior hawk blows lake effect snow in. The Polaris gets left under the blind and that 600 Yard walk requires the compass and light to get back to camp in the dark. At times I just have to stay at the blind because it is just too much. Then it's time to put another log in the fire.

I try to wear the right fabrics in the winter. Cotton is a very poor insulator, especially when it gets wet. Wool is expensive, but it's worth the money when the weather becomes merciless.

I use a camp chair style ground blind mostly on cold days. The bottom stakes down and I can throw a few chemical warmers by my feet. How much I open the window depends on the wind and what kind of concealment is available.
Really comfortable and great for sleeping.
Easy to carry in and out.
Shot a deer from within ten yards in it, so I don't think I give up much over a tree stand.
https://www.amazon.com/Ameristep-Tent-Chair-Blind-Realtree-Xtra/dp/B00JH4JBG4
Very similar to that, but not sure it is the same one.

I usually hunt back 3 miles or more, with a lot of it uphill. I have a good sized pack on. I sweat. I have found that a couple of those thin wicking under clothes that Cabela's sells really helps. I usually have sweat pants over that, with my lucky sweatshirt (Not giving that up). I wear bibs(Could not find orange camo pants anymore)with steel zippers that come up well past the knee. There is a large zipper in the front also. I can open up when walking. All my clothes are waaay oversize. I strap my parka on top of my pack walking in, and have a fleece jacket in the pack. The boots are oversize to get extra socks in. First on the feet are thin wicking socks, then wool socks. It has to be a really miserable day before I cannot take a nap out there.

Back