Staying warm in the deer stand.

Chemical hand warmers such as Hot Hands are terrific. There are gloves, mittens and socks made with pockets for the warmers. It is very important to avoid tight fitting boots, pants, shirts, belts and even hats. Loose clothing and boots permit good circulation - an absolute necessity. It isn't fun to walk to or climb up to a tree stand with loose boots and heavy clothing. I usually strapped a vest and jacket or coat to my back pack and didn't wear any hat when walking to a tree stand. I couldn't even guess the number of hours I've spent in tree stand over the 30+ years. And finally, AVOID COTTON. It absorbs sweat and becomes very cold.

Last edited:
I always warm up a lot when I start moving and get out of my stand. Sitting still in a deer stand is a lot colder than being up and active. You are going to have some cold and discomfort iin this environment. Getting creative and using your resources to be more comfortable. I respect the dangers of hypothermia and reliance on gadgets is a bad thing but ingenuity and using what you have on you is what .makes us human. HelI I've used my thermocell as a source of heat and packed blankets into box blinds. Stay warm out there.

I'm not getting back into a stand until Holiday Inn Express starts renting them out.
Not my idea of fun anymore.

Chemical hand warmers such as Hot Hands are terrific.

Yes they are, and when bought in bulk at the right time are relatively inexpensive compared to the comfort they give. Many times they made the difference for me staying on stand and getting a deer, as opposed to going back to the truck to warm up. While one can get up and walk around and still have chance to get a deer when hunting with a gun, it don't work that well when one is using a bow or when one is hunting small parcels surrounded by private land with no permission to access. Then sitting and sitting still is the key to success. While some may claim the use of such items is not the "manly" way to hunt, there is not a legitimate reason to suffer needlessly from the cold, when there is such a simple and inexpensive alternative.

I too have found that putting two of the large chemical warmers on my back above the beltline, tends to keep me comfortable as long as I can keep my hands and feet warm. My doctor, who also hunts, tells me this is because your kidneys lie close to the skin at that point and thus their high volume of blood flow is being warmed, thus warming the whole body. Similar to running cold water on your wrists on a hot day to cool off. Keeping dry is also important as is keeping your head covered. On those days I intend to stand all day, I carry most of my heavy clothing in my backpack and dress when I get to stand to prevent sweating.Many times unless it is very cold and/or windy, I don't wear a hat either till I get on stand. This allows excess heat to escape and reduces sweating. Flexing toes and fingers vigorously periodically keeps the blood flowing to them and produces little or no visible movement while keeping them warm. Chemical warmers in jacket pockets not only keeps your body warm, but warms cold fingers too.

i had a gal i knew that sewed all her life make me some over sized bandanas out of flannel,,,she made several in different colors,,,and i had her make 3 in a grey

these things are the best cold attachment i own,,they work great and can be adjusted tight or loose

dont care much for artificial heaters,,,guess they work ok

but the "DON'T SWEAT" advise is the best going,,,,because ONCE YOU SWEAT,,,ITS OVER

my .02

ocharry

Sweat is a problem . . .

I sweat at the least bit of exertion. Which was great for PE class in high school (coach always thought I was working hard) but that is about it. I've tried a lot of things to keep from sweating on my way to the stand, including carrying my clothes and dressing at the bottom of the stand and walking at a snails pace. Snail pace walking works best for me. I also invested in some good underwear that wicks the moisture away from my body. That was a game changer.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

It is very important to avoid tight fitting boots, pants, shirts, belts and even hats.

The worst thing you can do to make your feet cold is to restrict blood flow by lacing your boots too tight ...... I have taken to wearing pull on style insulated (400 grams(?) thinsulate) boots 1/2 size too large when planning on sitting a long while .... enough room to wiggle my toes while wearing cushion sole Merino wool socks ......

The one thing that makes my deer hunting more comfortable now that I'm not a spring chicken is I use a large 6'x6' hub style ground blind ...... I don't have to sit motionless anymore, I'm out of the wind, and it helps some with scent control, too ....... room for 3 chairs, and if only 2 people are in the blind, room to get up and stretch ...... in fact, 1/2 of the deer I've killed in the last 3 years from this blind have showed up when I got out of my chair and was stretching my legs inside the blind ...... fairly certain that I'd not have gotten them if I was doing that outside with no concealment ....... OTH, I've missed opportunities at a couple of deer because I did not see them soon enough...... one this year got past my shooting lane to the North and stood there in front of the farmhouse to my North East ....... until a couple of years ago, my Eldest daughter had that direction covered, but Duty calls....... anyhoo ...... I can't imagine sitting up in one of the few trees straight and sturdy enough to put a stand in and have to sit motionless when it's 8 degrees and the wind is blowing 25 to 30 .......

As for gloves ...... call me Michael Jackson, 'cause I only wear one ..... left (support hand) .... my right hand I leave ungloved...... play with a HotHands, put it in apocket, my armpit or on my neck up under the balaclava and neck gaiter....... I need my trigger finger thawed, bare, and ready at a moment's notice.....

As for not sweating ..... it's a 900 yard walk from the truck to the blind .... I don't put on much of my gear until I'm in the blind..... and don't zip up my bibs or coat until i get there, sit down and just begin to get cold..... I don't hurry getting there, either. Working up a sweat and then trying to sit still will make you cold and miserable in no time.

jimbob, those are the same reasons I invested in a ground blind about 10 years ago. I can't tell you how many times hunting with kids that blind has saved the day! When the wind/cold made sitting in the stand too much for the kiddos, we went to the truck, grabbed the blind, and pitched it. Cuts the wind down very well and even in cold temps, makes it bearable.

The only challenge I've found with mine is the lack of a sturdy rest. I've tried different things, but am still experimenting.

Last edited:
he only challenge I've found with mine is the lack of a sturdy rest. I've tried different things, but am still experimenting.

Having lost one blind in a windstorm ......who am I kidding- the National Weather Service called it a tornado..... a couple years ago, we have taken to staking ours down before season ..... tight 550 cord guy lines from each hub center to 2 ft. long 1"x2" oak stakes ...... the blinds are not moving anywhere until we take it down after the 9 day season is over, tornado or no ...... we've found that this sturdies the blind to the point you can get a fairly solid rest on the bottom edge of the windows, if you have the time ...... I've never had the time, myself, but my daughter did that and got her first deer that way last year ......

My dad, OTH, bought extra long shooting sticks and uses those to good effect.......

I have taken to wearing pull on style insulated (400 grams(?) thinsulate) boots 1/2 size too large when planning on sitting a long while .... enough room to wiggle my toes while wearing cushion sole Merino wool socks .

That is what I do - extra large, insulated pull-on rubber boots with room for the Hot Hands toe warmers. Over the years I acquired three pair to accommodate different temperature ranges. :)

I also buy over sized boots. If really cold, out come the pack boots. As long as you can move your feet around, you will get by. The new wicking under wear is fantastic. If you layer right, you can sweat and get away with it. Sometimes I strap the parka to the pack going in, but you are still going to sweat. I wear all my clothes loose and oversized. If you do a lot of climbing up hill, suspenders or bib overalls are the way to go. Years ago I finally broke down and bought a Winchester orange camo out fit. It was about $100 bucks (A lot of money then) at K-MART. After the first year I could not believe how I tortured my self with any old clothing to hunt with. With a little sewing now and then, that out fit lasted me about 20 years. If you are still young, spend some money on the hunting clothing. You will be glad you did.

I took a six foot (maybe 4 or 5ft?) oak garden stake, 1"X1" and it had holes down it evenly spaced. I ripped it right up the middle on a table saw. I then found an appropriately sized clevis pin with cotter pin ... you can then choose the appropriate hole for the height needed for the pivot point. I glued and stapled strips of leather from a broken belt to cushion the firearm in the "V" of my sticks.
My explanation isn't the best, but it was simple and I made a great set of shooting sticks that could be easily adapted to sitting or standing. Total work time was probably an hour because I sanded them smooth.

f93e2b9d2d6e7be92cdba100a34dbe6e.jpg

Something like this is what I used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staying warm is all about layering cloths some fellows profess. True but also problematic. Get too hot. Take off your coat a hang on a limb. Hunters cools down. Yup he's comfortable. But his coat has just become a huge emitting scent pad of human scent. Without a doubt his quarry is simply bypassing the hunters position at a far distance as long as his coat hangs in the open air.
Any outside activity requires the proper cloths to keep its wear'er warm and comfortable. Especially so without there need of removable in Big Game hunting scenarios.

Moisture wicking underwear and a really good pair of cold weather boots are a necessity for us Northern fellows.

Sorel's with removable felt liners I'm talking about or LLBean insulated gum rubber sole boots when those air temps are hubbering in the teens to -0- zero degree's. LL Bean's gum rubber sole boots are the best boot for all types of walk-about (Still) hunting techniques. (link)
Sorel boots on the other hand for Below -0- temperatures are outstandingly proficient at not allowing feet to freeze when sitting quietly in a deer stand hour after hour. The Not wearing of daily stinky feet smelling Rocky work boot types. Is again not suggested for the task. (link)

http://www.sorel.com/mens-1964-premium-t-boot-NM1561.html?dwvar_NM1561_variationColor=256#start=8

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/3548...sulate&attrValue_0=Tan/Brown&productId=516692

Some fellows like those Carhartt insulated Overalls. I don't. Too cumbersome and noisy. I wear one or the other pair or these pants w/suspenders depending on how cold the temperature is. (link)
Nice feature sewn into the LLBeans pants. A handy dandy bit of expand-ability in the waist so's to compensate those of us who are in-between waist sizes or the wearing of heavy long sleeve shirts for tucking in our shirt tails.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/35054

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/111756?feat=malone pants-SR0&page=men-s-maine-guide-wool-pants-with-primaloft-plaid&at

Keeping hands and fingers warm can be a problem for some of us old fellers. (i.e. poor circulation or arthritics) Although cold hands are >never< a problem when wearing a pair of these Hunting Mittens. (link)

http://www.clpuber.com/mittens.html

Lot of good comments so far.
Duluth trading sells mock turtle neckshirts. Those along with a good neck gaiter and head covering have helped me a lot along with learning to walk in without my outer layer on so I dont start to sweat.

If I don't sweat, I don't get to the hunting spots. It is about the clothes you wear. I start out in a very light fleece jacket or vest over a T-shirt even when well below freezing for the walk in. I am usually down to a T-shirt that won't absorb moisture and dries quickly within minutes. A 3-5 mile mountain hike is often in order. Wool or the good synthetics. Everything else is carried in a daypack, I get dressed in 2-3 synthetic or wool shirts, vest, and then a lightweight down jacket. At least one head covering, often 2 layers. The chemical packs do help, but I rarely use them.

The key is to keep the body core warm. That is the brain and internal organs. I haven't worn insulated boots in years, just GOOD quality wool socks and hiking boots. If my core is warm excess heat is sent to hands and feet. If the core is cold the body shuts off the blood supply to extremities in order to preserve the core. No amount of insulation will help if the body isn't pumping warm blood to your feet.

Eating protein snacks on stand is the same as throwing another log on the fire. Your body will generate heat in the core digesting protein bars. Sugar gives you a quick flash, then it is over.

If it is really cold and windy I have a summer weight sleeping bag that rolls up to about 1/2 the size of a loaf of bread. I'll put my legs in up to the waist and have stayed pretty warm in extreme conditions.

I have also used a sheet of burlap, mostly I hunted from the ground. After I settled in with all my gear on, I'd drape the old burlap over parts of me to block some of the breeze too. It has to be aired out for some time, new burlap has a petroleum like Odor.

If I don't sweat, I don't get to the hunting spots. It is about the clothes you wear. I start out in a very light fleece jacket or vest over a T-shirt even when well below freezing for the walk in. I am usually down to a T-shirt that won't absorb moisture and dries quickly within minutes. A 3-5 mile mountain hike is often in order. Wool or the good synthetics. Everything else is carried in a daypack, I get dressed in 2-3 synthetic or wool shirts, vest, and then a lightweight down jacket. At least one head covering, often 2 layers. The chemical packs do help, but I rarely use them

Agreed. I pack in most of my hunting clothes out to my spot. Once out there I get everything unpacked and all set up. Then I sit down for about a half hour until I dry out and start getting cold. Then I start add the layers leaving every thing un-zipped. I'll zip layers if I feel the need to. This limits my movement while on stand. A good pack makes this method muck easier. I use this pack and add more pouches to the MOLLE webbing to hold more.

http://www.eberlestock.com/X3 Lodrag Pack.htm#/

Using good gear is also key to staying warm. No cotton except for my outer most garment. Here are some of my coldest weather choices. They have made a big difference in the past few years.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/clot...-gloves/_/N-1102427/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104000580

http://www.cabelas.com/product/foot...r-boots/_/N-1107989/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_103959180

http://www.browning.com/products/outdoor-clothing/wicked-wing/wicked-wing-insulated-bib.html

https://www.averyoutdoors.com/fleece-neck-gaiter

I also make sure I keep my base shirts tucked in my pants. My not sound like a big deal but, you will stay much warmer by doing this little simple thing.

Back