Starting a high volume and large scale bullet manufacturing business

Status
Not open for further replies.
During this COVID shut down, I have time on my hands and I’m looking into starting a bullet manufacturing business.

First, please don’t go into the typical, ‘it’s a tough business, don’t do it blah blah blah’. It’s not a constructive line of dialogue because every successful business is tough.

Start up cost is NOT an issue. I’m looking at starting with something like Waterburyfarrel machines (website says 240 bullets per minute).

http://www.waterburyfarrel.com/bullets/bullet-assembly-machine

Where does one find employees who are familiar with running, maintaining, and operating these machines?

How easy or difficult is it nowadays to find the supplies like lead and copper to manufacture the bullets? I’m guessing this is the main impediment right now.

Anyone have experience with these machines?

Anyone have resources about the business they would care to share?

I’m in the exploration phase.
A friend of mine and me had all the bullet making equipment. I bought it cheap. Great equipment. We could make TMJ, round nose, hollow point, or solids. To be profitable, you would have to make a lot, and I do mean a lot, of bullets. You are also going to have to direct sale to the public. You involve middle men, your profit evaporated. There is no shortage of lead or Copper.
We got an offer we couldnt refuse for the equipment and sold it.
If you want to turn a better profit, hook up with a direct importer and import you a couple hundred thousand dollars of bullets at a time from South America. You can buy them cheaper than you can make them unless you scale up massive.

I started (in 1989) a powder metal parts manufacturing business. I'm still here/there in 2020. In 1990 I explored making bullets from powder metal (frangible, before that term was coined!), but couldn't produce volumes sufficient to warrant the venture. Alas, after 9/11, I wish I had! Point is, sometimes you just need to follow your first instincts.

I've never heard of Waterbury - am interested in seeing more about them. However, a well known maker is Corbin Mfg. They might be an excellent resource. I would also suggest getting details on the tooling used by the presses to do the forming, that is the money hole of this sort of industry.

Also, I suggest you contact the BATF and learn if you need a license. If so, better start sooner rather than later.

PM me if you want.

In 1990 I explored making bullets from powder metal (frangible, before that term was coined!),

The term "frangible" goes back waaay before 1990. It just wasn't widely used outside the military for a long time.

To get a good reputation, ingratiate yourself with a chat group that will talk you up online.

Mike talked about those swaged .314 wadcutters... I would buy a box of 500 right now and then post pictures of the groups for you!

Then you want to get a good design for your website. I don't mean the build, anyone can do that.. but the architecture of your presentation and products that will be easy to navigate, use and maintain. THEN do the art and coding.

The workers you want to hire will also need to be trained in working with lead and you'll need to train them so your "dirty" areas do not spread and contaminate your entire building.

Now.. those .314's... very hard to come by and they are not 9mm so kids today don't want em.

I'm aware of the history of powder metal in bullets, dating back to experiments by Remington, starting as early as the very late 40's. Frangible was applied to the need of bullets after the airline highjackings of 9/11. Though a few companies (one about 30 miles from me) tried to pass on that they invented the concept, credit needs to go to Remington.

In any case, from owning a conventional processing plant, it is a poor application of the process, though powder metal can be used in a different process.

Odds are that the company you buy the machine from will offer a class upon purchase if "new in box". In every industry I've worked in,this has been the case. Coffee shops..buy an espresso machine? They'll give you tutorial on maintenance and such. Indoor Shooting range... Buy a target carrier system? Do the same as above. Laboratory? Buy any piece of expensive analytical equipment? They'll do similar things. You just make whoever gets sent, The SME (subject matter expert),and make sure they're very well compensated. IMHO, I'd try to secure component streams before getting machinery. I wish you the best and hope you succeed at this. It's something I've entertained as I own land in the Philippines.

As catchabullet said, I would recommend talking to the folks Waterbury Farrel and see if they can assist in training on the equipment. It seems like you have the re$ource$ so offer to fly one of their guys out to train you and your employees and show them some Texas hospitality. Lol, maybe in October to beat the heat. Also, they would certainly know where to buy raw materials.

…or see if you can go to them, assuming they keep a copy on hand for training.

Have your list of questions ready for them. Tooling costs and lead times for the machine and tooling changes and replacement are obvious questions to ask, as are space and power requirements. Others would include cost to have them serve as the millwrights to install the machinery and do your first set up at your location is another. You want to know average annual maintenance downtime and costs. Learn the scrap levels so you can figure your raw materials throughput and gauge your supply line needs. Also find out how scrap is separated out so you can plan recycling or reprocessing and safe handling costs. See if you can find out what the resale value of the equipment is and other factors that will affect your ROI and your insurance costs. Go over your list with your accountant and, if its someone other than you, your business manager before deciding the list of questions is complete.

Hope you make it.

Machineguntony:

I hope you make it. It would be fun to buy "Machineguntony" bullets for reloading.

In my "business" we say "break a leg" instead of "good luck" so . . .

Break a leg.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Thanks for the input, everyone. Interesting turn. I've been offered an equity stake in a large and reputable manufacturing plant overseas.

When COVID travel restrictions ease, and I'm allowed to travel, I'll be conducting due diligence and update this thread.

More will come.

What is your plan once you get up and running how to actually sell your product thats key?

Im not in manufacturing , But I am in sales. I can tell you that you have to market your product like crazy.

Free samples for all of us here at “thefiringline,” we will spread the word.

Hope the Best!

Will

Last edited:
Hey guys, this thread hasn't been active for two years.

CheckFault,

Welcome to the board.

This is what we call a zombie thread; a dead thread that you revivified with your post. New members seem to do this pretty regularly. You should have gotten a warning that the thread is old before the board let you add your post. The original poster hasn't been on the board at all since last year, so you are unlikely to get a response. This is one reason we discourage reviving old posts. Folks come and go. For this reason, I think I'll close this thread, as it was a question from a member who, by now, has either gone ahead with the idea or hasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back