Starting a high volume and large scale bullet manufacturing business

Status
Not open for further replies.
It stands for Quick Service Restaurant.

In every business there are failures. That fact is not relevant. What is relevant is why did they fail and what, if anything, can be done to not repeat the same outcome.

Sometimes, a failing business is an opportunity to take over that business on the cheap. Or at least purchase the existing inventory.

If your intention is to make hunting bullets I suggest that you go straight to lead free. Kommiefornia has already mandated it state wide and soon enough other states will follow. The cup & core / bonded / etc market is saturated by the majors....lead free has few players which leaves you room. If you go that route be sure to do a patent search (especially on Barnes) to make sure you don't cross lines that get you sued out of existance.

Starting a business in something that you know little to nothing about, what could possibly go wrong?

I have a feeling someone said the same thing to Henry Ford when he first dreamed up the assembly line.

If it wasn't for 'wild and crazy dreams' technology would still be back in the 1800's.

Quote:
Starting a business in something that you know little to nothing about, what could possibly go wrong?

I have a feeling someone said the same thing to Henry Ford when he first dreamed up the assembly line.

Sorry, Mike, but for every Henry Ford, there are 10's of thousands who fail miserably. Besides, he's not creating any new technology, he's talking about trying to go toe-to-toe with the big boys in an already competitive market.

Don

Sorry, Mike, but for every Henry Ford, there are 10's of thousands who fail miserably. Besides, he's not creating any new technology, he's talking about trying to go toe-to-toe with the big boys in an already competitive market.

Don

oh it can be done. My next door neighbor started making custom golf bags in his garage, worked 10 hours on his day job then another 6 to 8 at night Mon - Fri then all day on weekends at his "hobby" job for five or six years. Now if you want one of his golf bags you go to the end of a year long waiting list.

Ah, that guy has appeared. The ‘don’t do it, can’t be done’ guy. I’m familiar with that type of guy. I’ve run across him several times. They never add anything constructive, but are more than happy to tell you that it can’t be done.

Never said it couldn't be done or even that you shouldn't do it, so don't put words in my mouth. But, if you have no idea on how to go about manufacturing a product, I certainly wouldn't invest in your business venture, and I took a few upper level Business/Economics courses and own my own business.

Don

Have to add: I believe it was Dardas that offered a buy out due to retirement. If you want to go into the cast business; there is your opportunity. My recollection may be wrong on whom but the info is on this forum within the last year. You have an opportunity to turn key an operation if cast is the way you wish to go.

Have to add: I believe it was Dardas that offered a buy out due to retirement. If you want to go into the cast business; there is your opportunity.

Now, something like that would make sense.

Don

Hell, I hope he gets the business up and running and offers deals to TFL'ers!

Besides doing all the lead, copper and other stuff, don't forget a good CNC machine shop. Hire a great machinist and also run solids for those of us that like them.

Don't listen to the haters, you can find them on every corner of the interwebs. Sounds like you already know how to run a business and what it takes to get it off the ground.

Just don't forget us little people when you start making quality bullets. If you need a lot of heavy stuff delivered and you have a train branch line next to your business, let me know. I work for a RR company and if you have enough business, might be able to hook you up.

Sorry, Mike, but for every Henry Ford, there are 10's of thousands who fail miserably.

Very true. But if it wasn't for those 10's of thousands trying, again, technology would still be stuck in the 1800's. I wish him luck. Who knows, 10 years from now he may be producing the most accurate bullets known to man, a multi millionaire laughing all the way to the bank.

I've always wondered how rewarding it is to run a business by being the visionary or being the pragmatists. It takes a little of both I think.

I had a small mail-order business once. I always was working. If I wasn't in my shop, my mind was there. I slept in my warehouse. My diet was poor. No toys. But was it worth it, yes. And, once you do it, it get's in your blood and you'll want to do it again. At least that's my experience.

You need to find a niche to give you an edge. No one's going to buy your widget if there are other competitors making the same thing. Low prices can keep you poor. High prices means high quality which is high expense.

I suggest that you ask people online who they are buying their bullets from and what that company lacks. Get a list of them and find the right niche product to add to your widget list. People who buy your niche product will probably buy your product too if the quality and price is about the same. Your competitors won't be able to react quickly because their production is tied down to current expenses. Few would have a lot of extra cash laying around to invest. And, if so, most will be conservative about the choice. Making the wrong financial investment is very damaging to a business. Those few cents that added up to dollars over a length of time is damaging financially and spiritually. Heck, you worked a lot of hours squirreling away that money. Move fast, work hard, listen to wise advice, and make the best choice you can. At worse, you'll crash, get back up, and be even better the next time.

Where does one find employees who are familiar with running, maintaining, and operating these machines?

Put a help wanted ad in newspapers located in cities where bullet company plants are.

Last edited:
You will also need things to test your products quality. A hundred yard indoor range with stuff to load and shoot them.

I would talk to the company that manufactures the machines. They may have a lot of answers for your questions. I’ve looked into this very idea myself and the two things that gave me second thoughts were a good reliable supply of lead at a decent price, and dealing with the EPA. I came to the conclusion that the margins were so small as a start up that I couldn’t see carrying the business until it became profitable enough to provide a livable income. But, I was also mainly considering it from a part time business as a semi retired person and I just did not want to put the time and effort into it that would be required to be successful.

Last edited:
Quote:

Don
Not only competitive but shrinking rapidly
And under the ever increasing burden of massive regulation
Not to mention in an area that is soon to be devastated by our rapidly expanding marxist environment
All things an actual diverse business person would already know

Ask the Wise Men

As I had mentioned, talk to the retired old timers from the Industry, they will give you a realistic idea of what the business is like and can be. Ask them what options there are.

Tapping the wisdom of the ancients is a useful thing, But always take into consideration their wisdom is also dated.

I can tell you how to run a certain chemical process, with equipment and systems made in the late 50s, and updated last in the late 80s, but I couldn't tell you anything about how to run the stuff in a plant made 10 years ago...without first learning it for myself...:D

A lot of what I could tell you is still valid, important useful stuff, but a lot no longer applies...

talk to the guys who did it, see what they'll share. Just keep in mind, that's only part of what you'll need to know, to do it, today....

Good Luck!

Machinegun
If you made it in the food business you can make it in any business . I started my own business , I didn't just jump in , I did my homework , asked a million questions and finally went with it . Sold it after 31 years . You have to love what you do and I did. Once the new guy opens up everyone's going to give you a try so be ready . Tony , Good luck on your venture . I for sure will give you a try , 45acp 230 grain FMJ , 308 168gr. HPBT and .223 55gr. fmj.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back