Springfield 1903 A3 questions

The film also depicted him using a Luger during his exploits.

The most widely used explanation for the Luger (so it is said) is that it was the only gun at the time that could operate with blanks. However, I see in some references the use of blanks in 1911s was pretty well established long before the film was made.

And if the 1911 in .45 wouldn't operate with blanks, the 1911 in .38 Super would.

Regarding the rifle, the 82nd Infantry Division arrived in Britain in May 1918 and in France in July 1918. Based on numbers alone, it's very likely that York and his unit drew Enfields.

The very few pictures I've seen of 82nd Infantry Division soldiers taken in France have all showed them armed with Enfields, but that's certainly not indicative as Springfields and Enfields were issued largely without regard to making sure units got one type or the other.

Regarding Krags, many were maintained in service with rear echelon troops right through the end of the war, but I know of no reports of front line infantry being issued Krags, or being allowed to keep a Krag.

Back