Springfield 1903 A3 questions

It has often been said, when it comes to the classic military bolt actions, that,

The Springfield makes the best target rifle

The Mauser makes the best hunting rifile

The SMLE makes the best battle rifle.

And the bolt guns from other nations are of lesser utility (French, Italian, Russian, etc.)

That is, of course, just an opinion, but I think its a fairly accurate representation of how a lot of us felt "back in the day".

I think one reason, if not the main reason that the 1903 Springfield is more accurate than the competition is that in stock GI trim, they have better sights for target work.

The 1903 is, essentially a modified Mauser design, thought not, as many believe a "copy" of the Mauser 98. The Mauser that made us built the 1903 Springfield was the 95.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but a well made (read: peacetime, either pre war or post war) No.4 will outshoot an 03-A3 any day of the week. The No. 4 is my rifle of choice for Ben Avery Range and, when used with correct Mk VII (or equivalently loaded) ball it can shoot quite well at 600 yds.

These are usually stock military shoots, and, although I have Garands, 03s, 03-A3s, some Mausers, etc., I always prefer the No.4 rifles. (With the possible exception of a Swede 96.)

No flame, just disagree.

On average a 1903 is vastly superior for target or hunting .

M98 is equal for hunting though not better than 1903 (and the A3 with the peep was the better battle version by a lot)

My step dads father took something like 8 really big brown bears with his 1903 and never a fuss. And while interior, something about the area is more like coastal, they were BIG bears. One picture the head is almost as large as the front grill on the jeep.

I have checked out the SMLE action and agreed its the slickest battle action there is. Not sure how the 1917 missed so badly, not nearly as good (though I love the 1917s over all, close to equal on the 1903 for accuracy I believe)

Kraigway: Thanks for the Buffalo Arms. I have a kind of universal slip on I made that works for all of them. Also a Pabst (I lot the slip on for a bit) .

Pabst attachment is a joke, better than nothing, the BA looks to be the real thing.

I have a motor cycle leather coat I want to wear but its too danged hot this time of the year!

I've owned and shoot a 1903 A3 since 1968 , it is a 30-06 with a steel butt plate. We shot a lot of military ammo , standing , sitting or kneeling while shooting is ok, you can hold the gun tight and roll with the recoil. Prone, hurts....I gave that a try one time and didn't like it.
Recoil is on par with 303 British and 8x57 Mauser...no worse.
I have started shooting cast bullets in these guns , a Lee mould , 170 to 185 grain cast bullet over a charge of Red Dot or Unique to get 1600 fps makes for very nice enjoyable and economical shooting in any military surplus rifle..

Gary

The 1903 (not the A3) has "better sights for target work."

Yep. And the world's absolutely worst combat sights. The Model 1905 sight has five (count 'em, 5) aiming points, all nearly impossible to see; automatic drift adjustment; windage graduated in infantry mils(!); and infinitely adjustable windage and elevation (no clicks) that can easily be lost. A sight for sunny days and black bullseyes at Sea Girt, and about useless in combat.

Jim

Huh?

1903 A3 has better target sight, any peep is going to be better, not sure about combat as I never got into that though I would rather be accurate than fast.

Any sight ahead of the receiver is miserable, target or otherwise.

Frankly my favorite is the 1917.

Garand seems to be about same as A3 but I will stand corrected there, not shot one of those.

"1903 A3 has better target sight, any peep is going to be better, not sure about combat as I never got into that though I would rather be accurate than fast."

Except for the simple fact that the 1903A3 peep sight is only graduated to 800 yards, making it difficult, if not impossible, to use for 1,000 yard target work.

It was also a known issue that the slider spring would, over time, weaken and let the slider slop around, completely screwing up things if it wasn't noticed.

As a combat sight it was far better than the Model 1905 sight on the Model of 1903 Springfield.

Target shooters using rifles with the M1904 sight often resorted to a separate "sight setter" that had click adjustments. The setter was adjusted, put on the sight, and then the slider was snugged up to the setter and locked down.

Original sight setters are bringing healthy prices, such as this one:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/33156...pringfield---u-s--810---collector-condition--

Thank Mike, good info.

My point generally is that most people could not hit the broad side of a barn at 800 yds, so 1000 is not an issue.

Good shooting at 400 yds or less would be where a bolt action does most of its work and 300 or less is listed as typical combat ranges.

Most people can shoot peeps better than the V type. 1917 had a good sight.

Often knocked for lack of windage, which at far ranges you are guessing anyey6w. Hard enough to hit anything out there with a scope and dope.

If you can shoot you can adjust (and you have wind factoring in anyway.

V type is pretty awful, amazing anyone could anything with that.

And from what I can find, after the Normandy breakout the infantry started to trade for Sub Machine guns to the point at the German border they were about 50% equipped with those (tankers had machine guns as issued.

Ergo, a significant requirement for a close in weapon.

Might note that the Thompson had a 1917 type sight on it!

Remember that the Model 1903 Springfield was designed and adopted at a time when Generals were absolutely in love with the concept that every raw recruit could transform instantly into a deadly 1,000 yard + killing machine, and that the longer distances on the slider were for volley fire.

That was a concept that died very hard in the US military -- the myth of the American "one shot, one kill battle ending machine."

Even after the lessons of World War I American generals kept trying to put incredibly complex, long-range sights on rifles.

And even after the lessons of World War II, the desire to adopt full power rifles with long-range sights brought the ill conceived M14 into service.

Also remember that 1,000 yard shooting is still practiced widely today.

"Might note that the Thompson had a 1917 type sight on it!"

Which was really as ludicrous an application as the M1904 sight on the Springfield as a combat sight.

I recently saw a report on infantry weapons in Korea.
The peep sight of the M1 rifle was not well liked and seldom adjusted.

The No. 4 is my rifle of choice for Ben Avery Range and, when used with correct Mk VII (or equivalently loaded) ball it can shoot quite well at 600 yds.

The Gun Club President has a Lee Enfield No 4 sniper and took it to the CMP range at Talladega AL. He said the sucker shot a 200 with a high X count at 600 yards. That surprised all of us. The Lee Enfield can shoot, and is in my opinion, the best battle bolt rifle.

Not sure how the 1917 missed so badly, not nearly as good (though I love the 1917s over all, close to equal on the 1903 for accuracy I believe)

The M1917 did not miss at all. It was an excellent battle rifle and served the AEF well as the primary service arm of the US Army. What doomed it was the thing was not made at Springfield Armory. If an adult had been in charge, the production lines at Springfield Armory and Rock Island Arsenal would have remained closed when they were shut down tracking down the problems of the single heat treat receivers. This ought to tell us something, in the middle of a shooting war, both production lines were shut down for months, because both Arsenals were producing rifles that blew up with issue ammunition. It was not a problem for the Doughboys on the front lines because Eddystone, Remington, and Winchester had produced enough M1917's to meet all wartime demands and all wartime needs were served by the M1917. What the M1917 did not have was support from the Springfield centric Army Ordnance Department. The M1917 was in fact a threat to Springfield Arsenal and Rock Island Arsenal and before the war had ended, Eddystone was shut down, the machinery shipped off to Springfield Arsenal, all to protect Springfield Armory from any chances of being shut down. You can read in the Arms and the Man the praise for the M1917 as it proved to be an excellent battle rifle, and immediately after the war, the mud being thrown at it, because it is not a M1903.

While I don't like the weight of the M1917, it was a more advanced rifle than any version of the M1903 and parts breakage is less. The darn firing pin arrangement of the M1903 is just horrible. There are other horrible features of the M1903, but I don't have time to go into them. Needless to say, survival of the fittest does not happen in the parochial Army Ordnance Corp.

We plowed a lot of Mauser features into the 1903. But not enough.
If we had licensed a real Mauser in 7.62x57 (.30 X 2 1/4") we would have been ahead.
Or maybe a Remington Lee. Nothing wrong with a .30 Army (.30-40 Krag) if you aren't hung up on a Mauser magazine that needs rimless.

My point generally is that most people could not hit the broad side of a barn at 800 yds, so 1000 is not an issue.

Maybe if you plop a gun in a person's hands and say shoot that. But give an instructor/spotter and a four foot target it really doesn't take much time before people are consistently on paper.

The M1917 is a good accurate rifle, but it is not a M1903.

The '17 action isn't as smooth as the '03. The sights have no windage adjustments. This is not a huge problem in CMP Vintage rifle games because its only shot at 200 yards unless the wind is really rough.

But since the '73 Springfield Trap Door the American Military always put windage adjustments on our rifles. Except for the M1917 of course.

The "clock on closing" of the '17, makes it a real wrestling match in rapid fire.

I'm a firm believer in not taking the rifle stock out of the shoulder when working the bolt. Easy to do with the Springfield, near impossible with the M1917.

Another problem with the M1917 ( as well as other rifles with ladder sights) is the sight flipping forward during rapid fire. Not a problem with the 'A3.

You can say what you want, but none of the rifles, M1917 or other foreign military rifles are as accurate as the M1903s, and looking at the scores the peep sights of the A3 do make it easier to shoot then the Ladder sight of the M1903.

Granted the A3 sights limit your ability to shoot past 800 yards, but again so does the lack of windage adjustments on non-Springfield rifles. Also the peep does make it faster to gain proper sight alignment during rapid fire.

The M1917 is a good accurate rifle, but it is not a M1903.

The '17 action isn't as smooth as the '03. The sights have no windage adjustments. This is not a huge problem in CMP Vintage rifle games because its only shot at 200 yards unless the wind is really rough.

But since the '73 Springfield Trap Door the American Military always put windage adjustments on our rifles. Except for the M1917 of course.

The "clock on closing" of the '17, makes it a real wrestling match in rapid fire.

I'm a firm believer in not taking the rifle stock out of the shoulder when working the bolt. Easy to do with the Springfield, near impossible with the M1917.

Another problem with the M1917 ( as well as other rifles with ladder sights) is the sight flipping forward during rapid fire. Not a problem with the 'A3.

You can say what you want, but none of the rifles, M1917 or other foreign military rifles are as accurate as the M1903s, and looking at the scores the peep sights of the A3 do make it easier to shoot then the Ladder sight of the M1903.

Granted the A3 sights limit your ability to shoot past 800 yards, but again so does the lack of windage adjustments on non-Springfield rifles. Also the peep does make it faster to gain proper sight alignment during rapid fire.

Maybe we have different rifles. My first real rifle was an all matching Eddystone M1917. I shot a lot of ammunition through the thing, used it in some of my first DCM matches and had a hoot shooting it. I consider the action smooth and slick. I never had any troubles rapid firing cases either in the M1917 or with any of the Lee Enfields, which are also cock on closing.

Windage is something I want on my rifles but I practice constantly and therefore can zero my weapons. I knew a number of WW2 veterans, and when the big war hits, the pre war guys who can aim and hit targets beyond 300 yards are all gone within 8 months. Gone as in dead, or missing arms and legs but alive in hospital. What comes next are recruits and in WW2, they did not have time to train these guys to any level of marksmanship. Sammy just died, but he had a total of 20 rounds of familiarization before he landed, first wave, on Iwo Jima. He told me if his Dad had not taught him how to shoot before the war, he would not have made it back. And he told me, he landed with a weapon that was handed to him just before embarkation, he sighted his M1 carbine in combat. Used a knife butt to knock the rear sight for windage. My Uncle, 101 Airborne, he had eight rounds of familiarization with his M1919 before dropping into France. Sammy called the young men he was with "cannon fodder". Both in WW1 books and WW2 books I found examples of American Soldiers who did not know how to load their weapons but were put into combat. They had been trained to salute, march up and down the square, and to arrange their kit per regulation. But they had not been trained to any level of weapon proficiency.

Most countries, recognizing that they will simply be shoveling raw recruits into combat decided that windage adjust sights were not needed. In fact, these weapons were adjusted at the factory and the owner was not expected to adjust either the elevation or windage. The Schmidt Rubin series of rifles are some of the best made and most accurate service rifles I have owned and yet, no windage gage. If any rifle was capable and needed it, the Schmidt Rubin is the one. So downgrading the M1917 because it followed British practice, instead of US target shooting practice, is just a matter of perspective. Both the battle sight zero's for the M1903 and the M1917 are unrealistic. The M1903 is 547 yards and I think the M1917 was 400 yards. Both the M1903 and the M1917 had flip up rear sights that would get knocked down. The M1917 protected the rear sight and front sight whereas the M1903 front sight is a thin blade that caught and got bent on everything and the rear sight also snagged on stuff.

I have a Trapdoor and the front sight is tiny. Maybe great for target shooting but the tiny peep, and the tiny front sight would be hard to use in any condition other than bright light. I don't consider the A3 rear sight a combat sight. The rear peep is too small for twilight and I have had the thing slide down during rapid fire. The M1903A3 was not a serious combat rifle, I don't know why they even made hundreds of thousands of the things when the Springfield was totally obsolete compared to the Garand. I have seen pictures of REMF's carrying the thing, probably a few made it into combat. As soon as a Garand or M1 Carbine became available I am sure the A3 was tossed in the ditch. That's what I would have done.

Target shooters harp on accuracy, and we begin to believe it, but I remember asking Command Sergeant Major Chuck Polk, USMC Korea and Vietnam veteran, about the value of the across the course game to combat. He said, "not much". MSgt Polk was with me, pulling targets, loved the game of XTC, but thought very little about it as training for combat. One time, pulling targets with Chuck, he showed me the little pocket knife he carried in Vietnam, and he still used the thing to dig out shrapnel from his body! He was assigned to an Army Unit, USMC MSgt Polk and his dog, and the Army unit commander walked into a booby trap with Chuck right behind. Chuck made it out alive, and was able to get his dog back to the world. Chuck carried a picture of him and his dog till the day he died.

FWIW: Don't quote me on the who and where. Memory has it that Elmer Keith commented in his "Hell, I Was There" that at the last Palma match before WW II, the British team with Enfields was quite competitive for rate of fire and accuracy against our guys with Garands.

"that at the last Palma match before WW II, the British team with Enfields was quite competitive for rate of fire and accuracy against our guys with Garands."

Quite unpossible, Art.

The last Palma Match before World War II was in 1925 (there was a US-Cuba match called a Palma match in 1928).

The next Palma match was in 1966.

Most countries, recognizing that they will simply be shoveling raw recruits into combat decided that windage adjust sights were not needed. In fact, these weapons were adjusted at the factory and the owner was not expected to adjust either the elevation or windage. The Schmidt Rubin series of rifles are some of the best made and most accurate service rifles I have owned and yet, no windage gage. If any rifle was capable and needed it, the Schmidt Rubin is the one. So downgrading the M1917 because it followed British practice, instead of US target shooting practice, is just a matter of perspective.

Maybe that's why the foreign rifles cant compete with the Sprindfield's and Garand's in the CMP Vintage rifle matches.

I wasn't in WWII, but in Vietnam, I did like the windage adjustments on my M16A1.

But I'm old now, I wont be going into combat. I shoot my military rifles in the CMP games. I want accuracy. My overall best scores are with my 1903A3, followed closely by the Garand. For the Military Match I use the M1917.

In the accuracy department, US rifles win most of the time. That includes the Vintage Sniper Matches.

I have to side with Townsend Whelen, "Only Accurate Rifles Matter"

The M1917 did not miss at all. It was an excellent battle rifle and served the AEF well as the primary service arm of the US Army. What doomed it was the thing was not made at Springfield Armory.

I stated it badly. The 1917 missed on the slick bolt of the SMLE and the better bolt of the 1903. All my 1917 bolts are sticky.

I think it was a superior rifle all around, not so much in fast close combat, just not as handy as the 1903, weight not the issue, its the combined ergonomics as near as I can tell. .

I don't accept the flip up sight was an issue, rapid fire at 600 yds?

If memory is right, battle sight was good to 425.

Sniping at 600 yds plus? You bet the ladder works and so what on Windage ? Like the cutoff, it was purely an anachronism of the US Army (the same one that had limited clip capacity and notoriously did not want rapid firing weapons)

Keep in mind it was the same group that though the M4 was a perfectly fine tank for all of WWII. From 1944 a lot of dead tankers would tell you not so much.

If I had a A3 or Garand I would never adjust it either, just offset as needed.

1917 was vastly better sight.

Back