Springfield 1903 A3 questions

DavidB2

I am researching the 1903A3 rifle. I want to get a MILSURP that is capable of shooting any factory ammo. Does anyone have experience of shooting factory 150 grain rounds through an 1903 A3. Currently I have an Enfield Mk 4. However, .303 ammo is getting expensive. I figured going with a .30-.06 1903A3 would provide me the opportunity to shoot cheaper and more available ammo.

My biggest concern is I have heard that the recoil is brutal compared to other MILSURP rifles. I probably will use a slip on recoil pad when going to the range. Thanks for your help in sharing your experiences.

The 03A3 is listed in one book I have at 8lbs. The No4 Mk I is listed at 8.8lbs.
(actual individual weights will, of course vary a bit)

GI ball ammo for the 03A3 is some 300fps faster than the .303 Brit load.

US commercial .30-06 runs 200fps (or so) FASTER than the GI ammo (2900+fps vs 2750 for the GI 150gr load.

so, yes, I think shooting the Springfield with commercial 150gr ammo will kick harder than a heavier rifle, shooting lower powered ammo.

I'd recommend a slip on pad, just to take the "edge" off the steel buttplate. Springfield stocks tend to be a bit on the short side for me, and a lot of folks nowdays, you may find the extra length of the slip on pad to be a benefit, as well.

I think it would be a fine choice.
If you can find someone who will part with one,it will be pricey if original.
I like the "C" stock,myself.For me,it recoils best.

The straight stock,I have issues with my thumb thumping up under my cheekbone.

Recoil is not too bad.An 8mm Mauser won't be much different.These rifles do have some weight.That helps.

Be aware,via Old Western Scrounger,Navy Arms,etc,the 1903A3 market these days has a fair number of reworked de-milled drill rifles.

Some folks get all upset by the idea of using them.I bought a receiver from AIM Surplus .I built a replica of a 1903A4 with it.I'm happy.I did put some work into it.

Also be aware,maybe 70's? Santa Fe and one more outfit built copies on cast receivers.I'd probably pass on those.

Occasionally,a somewhat sporterized,non original 1903A3 can be found.In many cases,that was mostly about chopping or replacing the stock,and maybe installing a receiver peep.
One of those may make a good restoration project.
Goodluck!

You wont go wrong with the M1903a3. Its on a whole, is the most accurate "as issued" military rifle out there (proven by the scores in the CMP Vintage Rifle Matches).

It will shoot any factory '06 ammo out there. Plenty strong enough, many have been converted to the 30 cal Mags.

Ammo is going to be much cheaper then the 8mm.

I just ordered (on the 1st of this month) a spam can of greek surplus M2 in e-clips, 192 rounds for $115 delivered to my door from the CMP, yesterday I got an e-mail that its been shipped and scheduled to be here Wed the 8th.

Its going to be hard to find cheaper ammo. It shoots also. I use it in the CMP Games in my Garand, 1903A3, and M1917. Its capable, if you have a good barrel, of cleaning the targets used in these matches fired at 200 yards.

It also shoots great in my 1949 Pre-64 Model 70. I took this rifle hunting a time or two, I just pulled the bullets, and stuck in some Hornady Interlocks. Both 150 & 180 grns without changing or adjusting the powder.

I do reload for the Vintage Sniper Matches, using 168 A-Max, fired at 300 & 600 yards. This from a A4 I built from an Action and parts that HiBC gave me.

If I could have only ONE, surplus rifle, It would be the M1903A3.

"Recoil is not too bad. An 8mm Mauser won't be much different."

Haven't shot a lot of 8mm 198 grain heavy ball, have you? The M1903 is a pussycat compared to the Mauser.

Jim

Dave, you got some very good answers to your questions! Keep in mind, these A3's are long with 24" barrels and probably closer to 9 lbs. I have several in all flavors and can shoot them all day long with no problem. With 150 grn. bullets they are fine, move up to the higher grn's and they kick a little more. The C stocks do indeed shoot nicer than the straight and the scant (partial pistol grip) falls in the middle. Expect to pay around $600-$700 for a rebuild mix master with a good bore for a shooter.

Last edited:
I find that I shoot the straight stock better than the C. It gives a straight back push and helps me with the push, although I am not bothered by recoil.

I have both the M98 in 8x57 and the 03A3 and find that they shoot equally in the recoil department. Both have the original steel pads on them.

If you are affected by recoil, there are reduced loads available in commercial ammo. But, in order to realize the full accuracy that each is capable of, hand loading is the only way to go.

I am in between.

sometimes I need the pad and sometimes not.

Light Carheart vest helps, thicker shirt etc all provides a bit better padding.

I have both a strap on and slip on if needed and it works fine.

I am a big milsurp preservation fan. My 1903A3 is my favorite rifle bar none, steel plate, straight stock and all. I love that thing. I find it not too different from 8mm in my K98k and VZ24. I have shot a number of bullet weights. No biggie. While most military rifles were being built for "minute of man" the 1903A3 was pretty accurate. Though the practice makes me shudder, that many of them were sporterized into hunting rifles is testament to their useful accuracy.

As a woman, i have come to terms with recoil, and don't find it objectionable at all. Here is now i instruct people who shoot my toys for the first time:

"Tuck it in tight, and if you forget, well you will surely remember with the next shot."

The 1903A3. A classic. Get one, treat it well and keep it holy. It will reward you with much enjoyment for decades to come.

FWIW, Own a 1903 Springfield and a 1903A03 (both still military). Also own a decently sporterized 1903A03. All shoot well for accuracy. I often use my 1903 Springfield in a monthly military rifle competition we have at range I'm a member. Majority of my fellow competitors use a 1903A03 rifle and 90% of the time, the winner of the event is shooting a Springfield.

Chuckle, none of us particularly care for the recoil of our Springfields when shooting from benchrest. Depending on the distance shot in of our event (which varies each month), I often shoot reduced loads.

I shoot a lot of Surplus rifles, I have every US Military since we went to cartridge ammo, from the 50-70 TrapDoor to the M4.

Except for the ARs (M16A1, A2, and M4) all have steel but plates. Plus a few others with steel butt plates, like my pre-64 Model 70s, and Browning M1895 in 45-70.

A few heavy hitters with butt pads, such as my 458 WM and 416 Rigby.

I like to shoot, but I don't like recoil. In match shooting I use a heavy leather shooting coat witch takes care of the recoil problem.

When I'm just playing, or with range work, I use a shoulder pad from Buffalo Arms.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/shoulder_recoil_pads_pr-4019.aspx

It works, and works well. I don't need a slip on or any other stock pad for each rifle. This covers them all.

I refuse to put such junk on my rifles, esp. my USGI Surplus and my Model 70s. This covers them all.

My wife broke her back in while deployed. She has three rods between her shoulder blades and cant handle recoil.

Yet she can shoot most of my rifles while wearing the buffalo arms shoulder pad.

If you don't like recoil, and don't want to mess up your guns, this is the best $45 you can spend.

"...capable of shooting any factory ammo..." That'd be any milsurp battle rifle.
Factory .30-06 will cost roughly the same as factory .303 Brit. Will be a lot easier to find Stateside though. None of the bullet diameter vs barrel ID stuff the Enfield has either.
Difference between a No. 4 Rifle and an '03A3 is the butt width. An '03's is much wider and that helps reduce the felt recoil. A No. 4's butt is narrow and sort of rounded on the edges. Makes it feel like there's more recoil.
Both of 'em will benefit from a Pachmayr slip on recoil pad. Or kraigwy's pad. Only applies to shooting without a coat.

In the last 3 years, I've bought an 03, and an 03a3 that were bubbaed pretty bad, I refinished the stock on the 03, and sold it for a profit, and sent the 03a3 to Corrales New Mexico to a Smith that fixed all the bad work done by some fella.
It now has a 24" 1:9" twist Douglas XX barrel chambered in .270 win. And I put a Timney and a Vortex Viper on it to be my deer/antelope rifle, and any coyote that will hold still a second.
Bottom line is I love the smoothness of the action and the dependability of the bolt...very nice rifle now.

whoever said that the 1903 has brutal recoil compared to other milsurps needs to have their milsurps confiscated. I've had the 1903, 1903A3, 1903-A4, and worked on an A4 repro project out of a 1903MK1. the Recoil on them is no worse than any enfield, mosin or just about any other 30 cal of the era with a metal butt plate. the 1917 on the other hand has horrendous kick, I'm trying to sell my 1917 in order to get another 1903.

to answer you primary question, the A3 will withstand any factory ammo available, if you are really worried about receiver failure, the 1917 is reputed to have one of the strongest military actions and is also chambered in 30-06, and I know where you can find one ;)

"...capable of shooting any factory ammo..." That'd be any milsurp battle rifle
I don't even want to go into how many levels of wrong this falls into.
early springfields have a bad reputation for receiver failures and the M1 garand requires ammunition loaded powders that use a specific burn rate and do not exceed a specific pressure which nearly none of the current factory 30-06 ammo adheres to.

oh and that's just in 30-06,
lee metfords(predecessor to the Lee Enfield) used black powder rather than smokeless powder for their 303 ammo, use of modern 303 brit in a lee metford will destroy the rifling and possibly the action.

Last edited:
I know I'll get flamed for this, but a well made (read: peacetime, either pre war or post war) No.4 will outshoot an 03-A3 any day of the week. The No. 4 is my rifle of choice for Ben Avery Range and, when used with correct Mk VII (or equivalently loaded) ball it can shoot quite well at 600 yds.

These are usually stock military shoots, and, although I have Garands, 03s, 03-A3s, some Mausers, etc., I always prefer the No.4 rifles. (With the possible exception of a Swede 96.)

Nope - won't flame ya, but do disagree.

I have Mosins in 4 flavors, Enfields in 2 flavors, Swiss Rifles in 2 Flavors, Krag, 1903A3 (4 groove), 1917, Spanish 1916, K98k, VZ24, Type 99 and some others. The only one which comes close to or exceeds the 03A3 is my Swiss 96/11 for accuracy.

I won't include any semi-autos, different animal than this discussion.

I am careful to use ammo that closely resembles designed-for loads as i can find if i don't have any milsurp ammo for em.

In the end, with all these old milsurps, accuracy comes down to the individual rifle and shooter combo. Yours is Enfield, mine is Springfield (Or 96/11 depending on how good i am today LOL). Although they SAID 2 grooves were "just as accurate" maybe mine being a 4 groove makes a difference.

Back to the OP, recoil is manageable with proper technique. Remember these heavy old hosses were being toted around and fired by kids weighing a buck fifty or seventy-five, and they did fine.

Ammo is important, do your research. There are commercial loads out there that will work with some preparation and reading on your part. Federal has the loads designed for M1A and M1 Garand, for instance, that are loaded to lower pressures. In milsurp ammo, look for ball ammo with a military designation somewhere in the description, like M80, that can be looked up.

In any case, if you find a decent example, I promise you will enjoy it. It's pleasurable to think i am preserving just a little bit of history, and it brings a smile to me with every shot :)

Last edited:
won't flame simply because I have no experience with peacetime enfields. my Savage shoots pretty well and it does outshoot the older 1903s, but the A3 I had was a tack driver so I have limited experience in the discussion. I also know that just based on ballistics that the 30-06 cartridge performs better over range than 303 so that's a pretty wide feat to beat... looks like I need to find me a 4MK2 somewhere.

Don't mean to flame.

BUT: The best way to compare the accuracy of various surplus rifles would be in head to head competition.

The only place I know that is done is the CMP Vintage rifle Games.

If you check the Competition section of the CMP Web Site, you'll find the scores of the matches. Over all the Springfields dominate.

The CMP has three categories. Garand, Springfield and Military. The Military category covers all others besides the Garand and Spingfield.

They also give place metals, Gold, Silver, and Bronze if a certain score if fired in the respective matches.

The Cut Off scores are different for each category. The cut off scores for the Springfield is higher then the others. Even the Garand.

Even in the Vintage Sniper Matches, The Springfield versions rule.

Back